Navara stalling only when cold

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angelo1963

Reaction score
Hi guys i really need some help with this car it will stall only on cold start ups for the first 2 or so minutes .
If you hold the revs up to 2000 rpm it wont stall . Once it stalls it starts with no problems no miss or shake
I have checked the codes and i come up with 1473 i cant seem to find the code on here i may be reading it wrong
I have tried to clear the code by holding the pedal down for 10 seconds after i have read the codes and the engine light just flashes continuously . but when i recheck the codes the 1473 is still there even disconnected the battery still storing the code
Im sure im doing something wrong as with other cars i haven't had this problem
So Please can someone be patient enough to explain what im not doing right
The car is a friends car and he was told by a dealer its a timing chain problem and i couldn't accept it being that so that's why im checking it dont want him to get ripped off

Another thing i noticed with this car the auto trans seems to slip while gear changing a real slug box like the old Holden hydromatics i was looking to see if theres a shift improver kit for the gearbox

I have 2 mates that have Navaras the mate whos car has no problems is stressing now that his car is going to have problems too lol

P1473 is a petrol code (evap control system). If it's a diesel I'd suggest the code isn't right, it might be P0473, particularly if there's a DPF involved. This is where bluetooth OBD adapters and Android phones can really help!

Cold start instability might be a number of things, but often is the result of using an aftermarket fuel filter (or not perfectly fitting a genuine one). While the engine cools overnight, air leaks in through the small seal in the middle, forming an air bubble in the filter and sometimes allowing the fuel to drain all the way back to the tank. By revving the engine, you force the bubble through to the pump and back out to the tank.

Otherwise, there's a chance that you have a dirty SCV, or a faulty glow relay (this sits on the side wall near the battery). At this stage, I'd guess the fuel filter - even genuine ones can be misaligned by professional mechanics, I don't think Nissan built a lot of "tolerance" into this part of the system.

sorry guys its a diesel and the the code comes up as 1 flash pause 4 flashes pause 7 flashes pause 3 flashes i checked it a few times im sure 1 flash is the first digit that comes up but i can be wrong . maybe i can video it and post it on here does it alow you to do that on this forum-----thanks-----also i was thinking of putting a electric fuel pump in the line to see if it is bleeding back fuel---when it does switch of its a nice clean turn off like the key is turned off

Easy test to see if fuel is returning to the tank is to use the primer bulb. When you finish using the car and turn it off, pop the bonnet and squeeze the primer a few times. It shouldn't take much to make it quite firm.

Now wait until morning, pop the bonnet and try that primer again. If it needs several more squeezes to make it firm, you have a leak.

Hi guys i just tried a scanner on the car it wouldnt read it the other day but today it worked CODE P1473

Leak Detection Pump faulty
Wiring/Connector(s) from/to Leak Detection Pump faulty
EVAP Canister System leaking
Possible Solutions

Check Leak Detection Pump
Check Wiring/Connector(s) from/to Leak Detection Pump
Check EVAP Canister System for proper Seal

Dang stupid ECU thinks it's in a petrol car. Diesels don't have evap canisters, what on earth is it doing that for? That's nuts, I'm going to ignore the code and go to good old fashioned diagnostics. Not too old, mind you - we won't need you to try and get a bit between her teeth and throw a saddle over her.

So basically we have a car that when completely cold it will splutter and stall and after a couple of minutes it comes good? It'll be getting a small amount of heat in the cylinders then. Also, holding the revs up to keep it going points in the general direction of the glow plugs.

The D40 is generally fully automatic, and will actually power the glows until the engine coolant temp reaches 85C. If the relay (side wall of the engine bay next to the battery - it's a bugger to get to) has failed - and that's happened before - you'll have the answer. Also check the electrical connections to the glow plugs and the earth to the engine block.

If they all check out, remove a glow plug and have it tested. If it looks chipped, damaged etc, remove the others too.

I would like to thank old Tony for your input
I thought the same thing glow plugs at first but the engine when it runs is very smooth and when it stops its the same as the key is turned off even when you restart it it fires up rite away and smooth
What i did notice when it stops the tacho still reads for a few seconds after it stops maybe pointing to loosing fuel im not sure
Today i will check if its loosing the injector pulse when it stall
the engine light hasn't come back on usually once you clear it and it runs and stall a few times it will come back on
My plan is to stop the engine light from coming on all the time
Tony there wasnt anything i could find on Google for a Nissan navara code p1473 diesel

spoke to the owner and he said he was told by a nissan dealer its the timing chain stretched

i have a remedy :rambo:

Tony i check the glow plugs they have power and continue to have power for 30 sec even after the engine turns off
Seems a little hard to tell if its loosing the injector pulse its there when its running but stops with the engine
I going to see if i can find someone that i can use the computer out of there car-- thats one thing it cant do check itself
The car has 100.000 klm on it and the code comes up as undifed
The heat from the engine is some how stopping the problem
Tonight i will leave the ignition on for 15min and start it see if the problem is still there

I'm only guessing but here's what i think. When you start the engine it runs in closed loop to fire up, then when it switches to open loop it detects a fault (like low pressure for exampe ) so it shuts down. The next time you start it, because it has already fired, the fuel pressure or what ever it is detecting as a fault, has returned to normal so the engine continues to run. You just need to figure out what fault it detects and go from there. what year and model is it?

Hello guys i finally got this car sorted out ---- the timing chain was the problem it looks like the chain had jump a tooth and the cam angle sensor and crank sensor were not pulsing at the same time--I ended up disconnecting the cam angle sensor and started it cold and it never stalled but it was not responsive to the pedal. You wouldn't believe i had another friend with the same engine doing the same thing and both are running well now and have gained alot more power

IF YOU HAVE A NISSAN NAVARA YD25 ENGINE AND IT STALLS ONLY WHEN ITS COLD AND DOES NOT DO IT WHEN THE CAM SENOR IS DISCONNECTED ITS A GOOD CHANCE ITS YOUR TIMING CHAIN---HAD TO CARS BOTH WITH THE SAME PROBLEM

Hello guys i finally got this car sorted out ---- the timing chain was the problem it looks like the chain had jump a tooth and the cam angle sensor and crank sensor were not pulsing at the same time--I ended up disconnecting the cam angle sensor and started it cold and it never stalled but it was not responsive to the pedal. You wouldn't believe i had another friend with the same engine doing the same thing and both are running well now and have gained alot more power

IF YOU HAVE A NISSAN NAVARA YD25 ENGINE AND IT STALLS ONLY WHEN ITS COLD AND DOES NOT DO IT WHEN THE CAM SENOR IS DISCONNECTED ITS A GOOD CHANCE ITS YOUR TIMING CHAIN--D TO CARS BOTH WITH THE SAME PROBLEM
Thanks for sharing your progress, I now encounter the same issue of stalling after a cold start. I will check if there is air leak at the fuel filter first as I recently replaced the fuel filter.

If this is not the case after priming, I may also have the same issue like yours i.e. the timing chain jumping a tooth. What did you do in this case?

Thank you for your kind response.

Latest posts

Back