Chris's OTHER D21 Thingo - It's a TERRANO (That's the Navara Wagon)

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey, all.
I BOUGHT A TERRANO.
NOT a Terrano II, this is the WD21 version.
From the front-doors forward, it is the same as the D21 Navara, but with coil springs in the rear.

Offside_Cropped_-_Small.jpg

Nearside_-_Cropped.JPG

The good bits are:
  1. I can sleep in the back if the trip is short;
  2. It has little rust (even under the back seats);
  3. The front bar is nice;
  4. It has working aircon;

The not-so-good-bits are:
  1. The clutch is stuffed;
  2. The clutch slave cylinder has popped;
  3. The Diesel primer pump and filter leaks;
  4. The water pump is stuffed;
  5. The radiator leaks;
  6. The steps bolt to the FLOOR;

- AND about a million other bits need attention.

Waaaay Haaay - New project time!!!

Shit yeah!

Those flares aren't old, aren't cheap, and look sick, nice inclusion to get.

Plus the snorkel too

Those are the standard sidesteps, they do bolt to the floor. Factory fitted sliders simply don't exist!

I bought a nice new radiator, good quality for about $300-$400, there's pics in my dismal build thread.

That's a mint bullbar.

Fit a standard black grille and black Pathy parkers and it will look sick.

Nothing sounds too drastically wrong, although if that's its state of repair I doubt it's had an oil filter or new oil put across it in a long time.

Shit yeah!

Those flares aren't old, aren't cheap, and look sick, nice inclusion to get.

Plus the snorkel too

Those are the standard sidesteps, they do bolt to the floor. Factory fitted sliders simply don't exist!

I bought a nice new radiator, good quality for about $300-$400, there's pics in my dismal build thread.

That's a mint bullbar.

Fit a standard black grille and black Pathy parkers and it will look sick.

Nothing sounds too drastically wrong, although if that's its state of repair I doubt it's had an oil filter or new oil put across it in a long time.

Thanks, Dion.
It's got a heavy-duty Exedy clutch kit in it now, as well as new clutch master and slave cylinders. I changed the oil in the gearbox and transfer while it was out and feel better for having done it.

The silver vents in the bonnet are now black and the grille (and wipers and vents) are heading that way, too.

There's a lot to do, but (at least) I know what is needed and I have done it before.

Stay tuned...
:redcool::redcool::redcool::redcool:

N-E-X-T-! Stop the Diesel leak

It was leaking from the bottom of the filter, but also on top (maybe the stem seals for the priming pump?). The filter was genuine Nissan, but there was no indication when it was last changed.
Replaced the priming pump assembly and the two flexible hoses to the hard lines on the firewall.
Replaced the filter with a new Bosch jobbie. (In all of the tests I have seen, the Bosch filter consistently scored highest - best capture of contaminants and least restriction to flow).
Wrote the date of change onto the filter canister with a sharpie, so it can be seen without undoing or moving anything.

Fuel_prep.png

Couldn't get the sedementor off the old filter...
I think it was put on with a rattle-gun, which isn't ideal for something made of plastic.
Perhaps that's why it was cracked across the bottom.
Replaced the sedementor, wired it up, primed it up and - Woo Hoo - No Diesel leak!

((Two down - 273,548-or-so-to-go)) :violin2:

Ooops - I forgot...

This should have gone in the "clutch change" section, but I forgot...

A couple of other "issues" were noticed when changing the clutch.
The fault with the clutch was the thrust bearing (or throw-out bearing, if you'd prefer), but the clutch was tired anyhow, so no real loss.

Can you spot the bit that broke? :rofl2:

Thrust_bearing.jpg

Here is a closer look:

Thrust_bearing_2.jpg

When we dropped the torsion bars out, we noticed 2 things.

1. There were NO lock-nuts on the torsion-bar adjusters;
  2. The drivers-side torsion bar was fitted to the passenger side and vice versa.

:rambo:

SO - Put the torsion bars in the correct way around (coated in anti-seize) and have a couple of nuts on order!

As a result of this, I intend to "assume nothing" and check everything...

Sway bars

OK - Some of you have two, some have one and some have none at all.
That's ok.
BUT - IF you have them, they should be ok, right?

Here is another "Spot the issue":

Front:

Front2.jpg

Rear:

Rear1.jpg

Hmmmm.

Still - I am getting good at ordering bits.....

OK - Some of you have two, some have one and some have none at all.
That's ok.
BUT - IF you have them, they should be ok, right?

Here is another "Spot the issue":

Hmmmm.

Still - I am getting good at ordering bits.....

WTF??

Previous owner obviously liked expensive rims and flares and hated repairs and maintenance...

WTF??

Previous owner obviously liked expensive rims and flares and hated repairs and maintenance...

HA!
He's a nice bloke, but likes "pretty", which is ok, if that is what you want.:blingbling:

I am far more partial to "TOUGH" and the Terrano I got from him is getting a little tougher each day...

:hammer: :rock: :chainsaw:

Who knows - Maybe I'll be able to drive it in a few weeks!

Parts!

My first box of parts arrived this morning - engine mounts, ball joints, Oil Pressure gauge, Water Temp gauge and Boost gauge.
Still waiting for EGT and they can go in. Also received sway bar bushes.
May as well make them good before I decide whether I should keep them - It's only risking a couple of $$$!

I won't be doing anything with this lot today, but...

:party:

:fans:

Well done mate, looks like your going to have a wicked new toy soon enough.
Alot of the time to take a step forward, in this sort of project, a couple steps back is the only way BUT when you get to the finish you'll be 110% better off and have good peace of mind

Well done mate, looks like your going to have a wicked new toy soon enough.
Alot of the time to take a step forward, in this sort of project, a couple steps back is the only way BUT when you get to the finish you'll be 110% better off and have good peace of mind

Thanks heaps for the encouragement, MANNING.
I agree - sometimes the view is better if you take a couple of steps backwards...
I went end-to-end on my Navara, so now it is time to just start again.

Have a brilliant week (and remember to keep the shiny side up and the rubber side down)...

:ha: :ha: :ha: :ha:

Engine mounts. THAT'LL bean easy job...

Decided to swap the engine mounts today.
"It's gonna be easy", I thought...
A few bolts...
A couple of nuts...
Maybe a jack to hold everything up a little, while swapping them over...

AAARRRGGGHHH!

The Nearside mount undid easily. Two bolts and a nut.

The nut was a little tricky as it needed a short socket to get onto it. One socket plus one lathe plus one carbide-tipped lathe tool = a little bit of steel swarf and a short 14mm socket.

OK - That one is all loose and just sitting there.

Now for the Offside one.

WHAT A BEEEE-ATCH.

Four bolts and a nut.

Got the front pair out easily. Same with the lower rear bolt.
The rear top one is awkward, but I'm pretty sure I can get to it with enough lost skin and a few abrasions.

HOW do I get the last nut off???

I can't see how to do it without removing the fuel pump and I REALLY don't want to do that.

I don't remember having any dramas when I did mine?

You're not taking the bracket off the block are you?

I had suffered height and tool access issues in D21 engine bay. I feel the pain too I contemplated taking extra parts of for access only to find out it was all in vain lol the joys of Nissans

Latest posts

Back