feels like the hand brake is still

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starsky

Reaction score
At times feels like the hand brake is still on when put in drive to go forward.
I have a 2013, 4 cylinder auto D40 done 95,000 K and recently it has felt as if the hand brake was applied after reversing from the driveway, after travelling a short distance to the traffic lights on the green light it again felt as if the hand brake was applied.
I travelled a couple of Kilometres stopping at stop signs and it came good, but at the next set of lights it again felt as if the hand brake was on.
I returned home and felt the brakes the temperature was low (could touch them without being burnt)on all 4 wheels and no brake felt warmer than its counterpart on the opposite side of the vehicle.
The Brake fluid has recently been changed and the fluid is at the correct level.

I am suspecting this is an issue with the transmission.
It may be my imagination but when I change from reverse to drive it feels slow on the take up.
The transmission fluid is due for change at the next service.
The days have been cold, could this be effecting the transmission fluid and causing this sensation?

Has anyone else experienced this, does anyone have any ideas.

Howdy, the old school way "i thought " was level ground, no hand brake and nutural TO reverse.. One slow cat and should be engaged by dog... then d for drag and she if she shudders... maybe Auto....

Be honest- how many ks and what ya being doing with her, "trailers and bob cats" since the last service?? Hmm the odd "roll back" from work ? Lock to lock from your fav' corner? Ahhh the list goes on ;)

. Smell the oil was another good insight to what's going on.. have you smelt the oil spock ?

Now regarding the navs i have know idea of how the autos work on them but I'd like too! I'd consider going auto if my manual shite itself...

Anywaysss post a pick of the tans oil colour.. Dose your thang even have a dip stick? If it does, put some droplets on a white glossy card or papper.. or your wifes fav' china.. and tell us how the oil smells...

I change the auto trans fluid in my 07 d40 stx every 20-30,000 ks.
I know that seems often but it's surprising how quickly the fluid turns from glossy red to a murky brown colour
When i first bought the car at around 30,000ks it would shudder around 90-100 kph when the torque converter locked up
Since changing the fluid for Valvoline ATF and replacing frequently it hasnt done it since
I add this stuff too every fluid change and get beautiful smooth shifting and no trans noise at all

http://prostream.com.au/product/platinum-universal-atf-supplement/

Thanks Fellas, No dip stick so I cant check the Tranny fluid.

Today I am again thinking brakes, may be a broken return spring.

Today I tested the D40 and went for a drive - no issues. I parked for about 2 hours with the hand brake applied and when I went to leave I started the vehicle, put it in drive and released the hand brake. it would not move - felt like the brakes were still applied. using some low revs to rock the vehicle it suddenly began to move. Then I drove home.
I monitored my revs and they were normal for my speed. fuel economy 9.3 litres per 100 k so it appears the problem is only when I first try to take off. I used a heat gun to get the temp of the discs and drums (41 degrees C on the discs and 34 degrees C on the drums both sides after 50 k of city driving)
I will remove and check the drum brakes tomorrow and if I cant fix the problem its into the stealership

Today I jacked up the nav and found the left rear wheel would not rotate.
I removed the wheel and with some difficulty the drum.
After doing this I could spin the axial.
Nothing looks damaged or broken in the brake.
I have backed off the auto brake adjuster and refit the wheel and the wheel rotates as it should.
I am assuming the brake adjuster has over tightened the shoe against the drum.
Nav now drives normal.

Has anyone got any other thoughts, have I missed something?

Today I jacked up the nav and found the left rear wheel would not rotate.
I removed the wheel and with some difficulty the drum.
After doing this I could spin the axial.
Nothing looks damaged or broken in the brake.
I have backed off the auto brake adjuster and refit the wheel and the wheel rotates as it should.
I am assuming the brake adjuster has over tightened the shoe against the drum.
Nav now drives normal.

Has anyone got any other thoughts, have I missed something?

I have ;) who was last touching the brakes? Why did it do, what it did?

Latest posts

Back