550 Torque Converter

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murrayV9X

Reaction score
Hello, Posting to see if anyone has experience with torque converter servicing/replacement. When towing my 1600Kg caravan I'm experiencing a shudder around 60 to 70Km/h when under load. I'm thinking this is the torque converter engaging and disengaging. Has become a pain and now also happening to a lesser degree when not towing.
From reading other posts on the forum there looks to be a consensus that this is typical of the torque converter on the way out.
Does anyone have an idea on the effort and cost to sort this issue?

Thanks, Murray.

The shuddering is usually the clutch in the torque converter (the clutch that locks the driveline to prevent slippage) having worn itself out.

Although I don't have a 550, my own torque converter began to suffer. I chose to have mine reconditioned rather than replaced with new - if you can trust the mechanic, this is worth considering, because the clutch is like any other clutch and it engages fully under pressure. Reconditioning is half the cost of new. There's no guarantee that the reconditioned TC will last longer than a new one.

Do NOT take your gearbox to a small time workshop. I did, they did NOT do the work they were supposed to do and I ended up paying a lot more than I should have. TC exchange is not a lengthy task.

Latest posts

Back