Oil for D40 diesel STX

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acko13

Reaction score
G'day folks. I bought a new D40 STX diesel about a month ago, and took off to the Qld outback. The vehicle has now done nearly 6000 km and has consumed about a litre of oil by the look of the dipstick.
Now the book says Nissan Special oil, but as Nissan do not make oil this is bullshit.

The dealership just say that it is Nissan oil, but does anyone know what viscosity rating etc, that this Nissan oil might be for this motor so that I can top it up if needed?

Thanks

ACKO

It's not Nissan oil, that's correct. It's low-ash (JASO FC if you don't have a DPF, JASO FD if fitted with a DPF). Take your pick of weights, some people like 5W30, others 10W40, and in Queensland for summer I'd go the heavier oil.

Just make sure it's low ash. The oil is blown out the PCV into your air intake and combusted (until you get a catch can). If the resulting particles are too large, they can cause issues with your CAT in the exhaust.

There is a thread in the D40 section that actually lists many brand names and types of oil us D40 drivers are using which might give you a bit more of a guide when it comes to shopping.

G'day ACKO,

Did you check the level of the oil when you picked up the car?

I had my first service including oil change at 1,000ks & to satisfy my curiosity I checked the oil level before I dropped the car off. It was down quite a bit.

Now having the 10,000k service done this week & it has used no noticeable amount of oil.

In hindsight I reckon is was not full from new.

As Krafty said there is a thread, it is called (which oil). The oil and brands listed are for the auto with DPF. Equivalent to the Nissan oil. Lol.

Latest posts

Back