Engine shudder/rattle

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jased22

Reaction score
Hi guys, My 06 zd30 is shuddering on take off, i think thats what its called. The engine rattles a bit then it goes away. It also does in 2nd gear if i accelerate to much while the revs are low. What causes this? Lack of boost at low revs?

Me too that shudder is annoying when it’s on the way out. Broken engine mounts is very rare and normally happens after you do lots of heavy recoveries.

Dont think its clutch.. Even though my clutch is pretty bad. The car has done it since its been remapped its just gotten alot worst. If im going up a hill in say 2nd or 3rd and put my foot down while the revs are at below 2000 rpm the engine rattles and makes a strange noise then gets up and goes. I think the timings out or something

who did the remap?

i suspect its either oil in the intake (from breather or turbo) and the added fuel fro mthe tune has made it worse. or injectors are poor and the extra fuel is causing combustion rattle.

however if its remapped someone may have bumped up the timing and that will rattle a fair bit.

Im running rumpigs remap. I was thinking something along those lines possibly even carbon build up. I have a catch can but i dont think it catches all the oil its one of those calibre ones, iv been meaning to replace it for a while now. I also have a front mount intercooler that i want to take out and clean its probably full of oil

Jase, when you find out report back. Shudder/rattle are so hard to differentiate as to the cause. I’d be surprised if it’s fireing incorrectly and causing this shudder.

Just took my mechanic for a drive. He said it is pinging but its not the worst he's seen and i should monitor it, it could be from the remap or carbon build up in manifold. The turbo lag i have from the front mount has gotten pretty bad to so that wouldnt be helping things

have you checked the turbo?
it almost sounds like air restriction, possibly boost leak.

can you see the turbo lag on a boost gauge?

just wondering if its air issue causing lag or fuel issue cause turbo not spin up.

No not yet i will check it for shaft play in the next few days cos it has leaked oil recently. I do have a few boost leaks just waiting for parts to get here to fix them, but its still making full boost. Its at around 2psi at 1800rpm the lag is bad under 2000rpm, but i can see it lagging a bit after 10psi now.
As soon as i let out the clutch its at 1000rpm even when i have the revs up

Quiet a bit of oil came out the turbo and obvious boost leak from boost tee

Attachments

• 20171122_182609.jpg
    20171122_182609.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 59
After a quick search id say its detonation or engine chatter

After a quick search id say its detonation or engine chatter

Im running rumpigs remap. I was thinking something along those lines possibly even carbon build up. I have a catch can but i dont think it catches all the oil its one of those calibre ones, iv been meaning to replace it for a while now. I also have a front mount intercooler that i want to take out and clean its probably full of oil

I have had a similar problem to this, so the following could be worth a go. I had vibration from idle that got much worse between 1500-1800 rpm to the point of "shudder" when accelerating and then no problem at cruising revs/speeds.

Had me beat for a month or two. I was checking engine mounts, looking for loose brackets and so on. Found nothing. Then one day I noticed the engine covered in oil, looked underneath and so was the gearbox. The catch can was blocked, eventually forcing oil out through the seals.

Took the pcv pipe off the rocker cover and symptoms completely disappeared. In my instance I put the pipes back onto the catch can in a hurry on day (pro vent) and had it plumbed back to front. Good catch can but I guess they aren't dickhead proof lol. I don't know anything about your particular catch can, but if it's blocked, possibly doing the same thing?

. Get a short bit of hose and let the pcv vent straight to the air and see if it makes any difference. Can't hurt anyway, worth a try

Calibre catch cans are very simple. An inlet, an outlet, and an empty can underneath. No one-way valve or anything fancy. It's a Calibre, after all! It doesn't mean that the hoses can't get blocked.

Another thing to consider is whether the past EGR soot + PCV oil expulsion has done in the intake manifold. Issues like sticking throttle body valves and sticking EGR valves can restrict airflow or reduce available oxygen for combustion.

I have had a similar problem to this, so the following could be worth a go. I had vibration from idle that got much worse between 1500-1800 rpm to the point of "shudder" when accelerating and then no problem at cruising revs/speeds.

Had me beat for a month or two. I was checking engine mounts, looking for loose brackets and so on. Found nothing. Then one day I noticed the engine covered in oil, looked underneath and so was the gearbox. The catch can was blocked, eventually forcing oil out through the seals.

Took the pcv pipe off the rocker cover and symptoms completely disappeared. In my instance I put the pipes back onto the catch can in a hurry on day (pro vent) and had it plumbed back to front. Good catch can but I guess they aren't dickhead proof lol. I don't know anything about your particular catch can, but if it's blocked, possibly doing the same thing?

. Get a short bit of hose and let the pcv vent straight to the air and see if it makes any difference. Can't hurt anyway, worth a try

Hey mate Ok thanks for that. I will give it a go this morning and see if it makes any difference

Calibre catch cans are very simple. An inlet, an outlet, and an empty can underneath. No one-way valve or anything fancy. It's a Calibre, after all! It doesn't mean that the hoses can't get blocked.

Another thing to consider is whether the past EGR soot + PCV oil expulsion has done in the intake manifold. Issues like sticking throttle body valves and sticking EGR valves can restrict airflow or reduce available oxygen for combustion.

Yes i know, no baffles or anything inside. I'll upgrade it as soon as i can.

I blocked the egr as soon as i got the car at 90,000km but i do want to have the manifold cleaned at some stage. It does feel like its not getting enough air at low revs

Latest posts

Back