Cheap Tyres

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a thought

Cheap tyres made in china, vietnam etc are often produced with no regard for the environment and are made to the cheapest price at any cost

The conditions for workers are often atrocious

The big brands like BFG, Cooper, Mickey Thompson, Toyo, use recycled materials and have a sound environmental policy in place and obviously have to treat their workers well in USA and Japan

Here in Oz we often dont give a toss about this stuff but ultimately we are responsible for whats happening in china

Thats a fair enough, and quite responsible pov in principle. Not wishing to really argue the point here, but I think there are some myths worth looking a bit deeper at.

China is making some strides regarding things like carbon emissions and do seem to at least appear to take it seriously. You might notice the US recently withdrew from the Paris agreement, forcing it to be a "voluntary" rather than enforced agreement for everyone else. They are by far the worst on the planet (per population) regarding pollution and greenhouse emissions. Worse still is they have leaders who simply don't believe in nor care about man made global warming, because they are sure that a 2000 yr old dead jew is coming back to save them anyway lol. If you are serious about this stuff, they are the last ones you would support.

As to Japan and being envoronmentally sound. Fukishima?

I see supporting a growing economy where standards and conditions are growing rapidly (China) and who do at least see pollution as problematic, as probably better than supporting some capitalist oligarchy who refuse the idea that man made pollution is a problem and who take advantage of underpaid Mexicans (until the wall goes up at least lol).

They (Chinese goods) seem reminiscent of Japan, back in the '70's. They will improve rapidly (societally as well).

If you really stuck to this principle, it would extremely limit your options when buying a car to begin with.

Last edited:
My 2 cents.

I bought some cheap highway tread tyres for my D22 (QD32 motor) and while they were ok when new after 5,000 kms in the wet they were terrible. I also had a set of cheap mud tyres and they were great for offroad only use.

So basically if I was wanting a safe good tyre for my family for everyday use I WOULD NOT buy cheap tyres.

Good point Maddo. I do 60/40 off road to highway. The conservative AT tyres I normally get are very good on the highway yet still surprisingly good off road. Once they get to about 50+ th kilometres they are still good on highway but lose their grip off road. I wouldn't mind something with a more off road style in mind. But if they (cheapy tyres) are really crappy on the tar they still wouldn't be worth it.

what size did you put on and where did you get them for that price as as i was looking at them yesterday and made a couple of phone call range from $185 to $205 in Brisbane ..

How about Sailun Terramax AT's from your local discount tyre dealer?

Around $160 each fitted.

Got them on mine & will replace them with same once needed.

what size did you put on and where did you get them for that price as as i was looking at them yesterday and made a couple of phone call range from $185 to $205 looking for LT245/75R16 or maybe LT 265/75 R16 in Brisbane as i am looking for 5 ..

Last edited:
Horatius

Not sure if this is the right place to debate this but here goes

Regarding chinas environmental practices vs USA, japan europe etc

Trump is a moron yes and so are many others in usa that deny climate change and environmental degradation
But i think here in australia we misunderstand how the US system works
The 50 states govern themselves under a federal banner, so you need to look at the reactions from state governments when trump was elected and made horrible environmental decisions
They were as a whole shocked and appalled

China on the other hand has a self elected capitalist communist (?!?) government that cannot be questioned or held accountable for anything and exists only to profit party members

Comparing china to japan in the 60s and 70s as many do seems to me an obvious and flawed comparison
(maybe because to us japanese and chinese look similar despite being culturally very different?)
Ive heard so many older blokes refer to "jap crap" but there is so much of this gear left from when my parents were younger that still works like the day it was made
Olympus cameras
Nikon binoculars
Matsushita (panasonic) headphones
Pioneer stereo
Datsuns, corollas, mazdas etc from the late 60s and 70s

Fukushima was an accident
The air and water pollution in china is not

Horatius

Regarding chinas environmental practices vs USA, japan europe etc

Trump is a moron yes and so are many others in usa that deny climate change and environmental degradation
The 50 states govern themselves under a federal banner, so you need to look at the reactions from state governments when trump was elected and made horrible environmental decisions

China on the other hand has a self elected capitalist communist (?!?) government that cannot be questioned or held accountable for anything and exists only to profit party members

Comparing china to japan in the 60s and 70s as many do seems to me an obvious and flawed comparison
(maybe because to us japanese and chinese look similar despite being culturally very different?)
Ive heard so many older blokes refer to "jap crap" but there is so much of this gear left from when my parents were younger that still works like the day it was made
Olympus cameras
Nikon binoculars
Pioneer stereo

The air and water pollution in china is not

Where is the like button?

what size did you put on and where did you get them for that price as as i was looking at them yesterday and made a couple of phone call range from $185 to $205 looking for LT245/75R16 or maybe LT 265/75 R16 in Brisbane as i am looking for 5 ..

I'm in Adelaide. We have several discount tyre places advertising on gumtree - I bought mine at "Affordable Tyres" Salisbury. 265/70/R16 for the D22 & 17" on my wife's 4x4. Because of the competition, they will often drop a few $$$ to get the deal.

Horatius

Thanks Czechmate. It probably isn't, but it looks like that isn't going to stop us lol.

Trump has little to do with it. The execs and economists that help form policy are not semi literate morons though. More like intelligent and greedy.

It seems odd to be staunch on this one issue, when the system we use to give us 1st world conditions largely relies on exploiting poorer countries in general (particularly for the cheap labour). Where did the computer/components you used to type this, originate? This is simply the reality of modern global economics and is unavoidable.

Of course there are many intelligent and reasonable people in the US, but this doesn't change anything. The fact is the US has snubbed the world and the consensus of science regarding degradation of our planet. They emit more carbon than anyone else per capita, and have decided to ignore the scientists and are set to increase this. Unless they have done an about turn recently? The world is now looking to China to lead the way, which they are at least trying to do.

Not really big on politics, but it would be quite errant to think that "democracy" is is too much different in any financial sense. "Democracy" is simply another expedient political system used to to implement what really governs our planet ie. capitalism. When democracy fails it can descend into a plutocracy (aka crony capitalism). It's becoming a problem in many western democracies. They no longer represent the people's financial interests (if they ever did). The masses are necessities, given enough to survive to varying levels of comfort so that they can be used in the creation of huge wealth for a small percentage. A skewing of wealth that is increasing immensely. It still holds similarities in principle to feudalism in some ways. All sounds fringe and conspiratorial, but a more critical view of capitalism is becoming more common among mainstream academics, social scientists and even some economists. It will eventually have to be all revamped anyway, for other reasons.

Olympus cameras
Nikon binoculars
Pioneer stereo
As one of them older blokes, I concur with them. Though eventually I switched to Japanese car when it became obvious they were better quality and value than brands such as Holden. It wasn't always so, they were a bit (lot) crappy in their more original earlier versions. There are all different brands still running around from bygone eras. That doesn't mean they weren't rubbish. The Koreans are the standard re upping quality quickly.

If there is any difference, it is that Chinese goods are far better than the Japanese were "comparably". Where do you think Apple (and just about every other computer) products are made? It ain't California. The great scientific instruments the yanks used to make have long been made in China under US brand. Still excellent, for about 20% of the price. Sony? Nikon? It's more a question of who doesn't outsource.

No, the circumstances of nature were random. The problem itself seems to be that nuclear reactors existed in an earthquake/tsunami zone without adequate thought to contingency. That was more dilligaf than accident. Something we might expect in the developing world.

Either way, the facts are it happened.

So I still disagree, the only real issue IMO is whether these tyres are good enough quality.

Last edited:
A simple wiki article regarding Fukushima. All sourced and referenced as most wiki articles seem to be these days.

Fukushima Nuclear Accident Independent Investigation Commission (NAIIC)found that the causes of the accident had been foreseeable, and that the plant operator, Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO), had failed to meet basic safety requirements such as risk assessment, preparing for containing collateral damage, and developing evacuation plans. ... TEPCO admitted for the first time that it had failed to take necessary measures for fear of inviting lawsuits or protests against its nuclear plants

Last edited:
Hi again

You obviously have a very clear understanding of how the world ticks so i wont argue anymore as i think we're flip sides of the same coin

Shame about fukushima and also the whales, i still love japanese culture and the stuff they make more than anything else

Back onto cheap tyres, japanese made Toyo at2s were $270 each on tyresales the other day!

275 70 16 and 265 75 16 sizes

The toyo MTs im running on a d40 now are up to 50,000 clicks and still looking pretty good

Hankook have a buy three get four deal on this month on the dynapro at rf10 at Jax tyres. (Maybe others also)

5 hankooks for roughly $650 less than 5 bf goodrichs:Gillard:

Hankook have a buy three get four deal on this month on the dynapro at rf10 at Jax tyres. (Maybe others also)

5 hankooks for roughly $650 less than 5 bf goodrichs:Gillard:

Yes, going to order mine today, 4 tyres for $780.
I know I'm not going to get the milage like the current set, but for that price, who cares.

This thread has me getting all left wing lol! I think I'll put some expensive tyres on the Ute & save the world ;)

Haha thats the spirit

Its kinda true though, we all vote with our $ we spend

Also it helps when you get 80,000k+ on shite roads out of US made BFGs, japanese made Toyos and korean hankooks

Anarchist ideas of people like Chomsky seem good lol. Left and right both fail the ordinary people.

Perhaps we need a political science/philosophy section of the forums lol.

Last edited:
The way I see it, buying from China will help improve their working conditions. Unavoidable anyway in the end. A matter of comparing price to quality to get the best value. Still thinking of giving Comforser a go.

You can't get more left wing than tyres from communist China, just sayin.

Actually, it's about as capitalist as it gets. Buy cheap, charge top $ for the service being provided (it's a work Ute after all) & make a rather large profit, compared to say, someone who pays big $ for their tyres & can't add the value to what they charge for their service.

Just sayin' lol!

Latest posts

Back