Engine Watchdog.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horatius

Misanthrope
Reaction score
I recently installed a couple of gadgets to the old girl. One of these http://enginewatchdog.com/tm1.html to monitor temperature and one of these https://daviescraig.com.au/product/low-coolant-level-alarm-kit-12-24v-1035 to warn of burst cooling hoses etc. Got 'em for roughly $130 each kit. Thought it was a good idea as I do a bit of remote area and off road travel.

There are plenty of different versions/brands of this type of sensor around, and it'll probably be of little interest to those with egt gauge, but I opted for one of these rather than a quality temperature gauge because of the alarm function (and it was probably cheaper than a quality gauge/sender). The other thing I like is that it bolts to the motor and measures the temperature of the metal rather than the coolant.

The low level alarm was a simple thing too. Simply cut and join it into the top radiator hose. It has a small float switch (guessing it is a reed type) similar (but smaller) to the one under the fuel filter. So no worries about electrolysis.

So far the highest temp reached is 86 deg C. That was putting the boot into it from about 80kph - 110 or more to get around traffic up a rather extended rise on the freeway. Though I also gave the radiator fins a good blow out with compressed air (releasing an awful lot of insects, grass seeds and dust lol). In normal driving it sits between 76-82 deg C. Have driven a bit of mountainous terrain loaded up and so far 85 deg is the highest. Though ambient temps haven't been that high yet.

I notice that at idle after warmed up it always finds it's way to 84 deg and sits there. Whether it's lower or higher than that when I stop. Sounds about right as the thermostat starts opening at 76.5 C and is fully open at 96 C according to the manual. I also notice that these things take a lot longer to warm up than the gauge indicates. The gauge says it's warm when it is in the early 40's and never moves after that. In reality, on a coolish day it can take well over half an hour for these things to reach operating temperature.

Would be interesting if anyone has an accurate gauge on their D22 (zd30) what temps they normally run at. The factory gauge has never wavered whether I'm trudging through sheeting snow or struggling up very steep 4wd tracks in 1st-2nd gear low range for hours on a 44 deg day. Simply gets to a bit under half and never moves. I get the feeling they are about as much genuine use as the "warning light" some cars have. Will be interesting to see what temps it really runs at.

It is commonly referred to as the idiot gauge... I've used an OBD2 scantool and torque app on my android phone on my 2010 D22 and have noticed as you have said above. Normal range on the gauge is about 40c and it didn't move over its half way mark when the ecu was seeing coolant temp at 94c and displaying this through the torque app. That's the hottest I've seen mine, on the great central road near the end of January a couple of years ago. Aircon never stopped and from memory the highest intake temp I saw was around 46c when moving, didn't check to see what it got up to when stopped.

For the zd30, there are a couple of options for ecu reading tools. I believe the easiest one is the scangauge that has a small LCD screen and control panel that sits on the dash.

I think some of the guys on here have managed to get a phone app, Nissan data scan, working with an obd adaptor but the zd30 isn't fully OBD2 compliant, so the cheap generic ones won't work...

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

Recently had the old nav pumping along at 130kph in 40 deg against a strong wind for hours and noticed the temp climb to 95 deg. So I slowed down and watched it climb to 97 deg before slowly dropping back down to 88-92 deg range at 110-120 kph. Having a winch and lights mounted on the bullbar probably doesn't help with airflow.

I noticed the factory temp gauge hadn't moved at all through this. Stayed where it always does, a bit under half. Looks like they read "normal" at anywhere from mid 40's to 100deg. Wonder how hot is too hot for these things?

Last edited:
Recently had the old nav pumping along at 130kph in 40 deg against a strong wind for hours and noticed the temp climb to 95 deg. So I slowed down and watched it climb to 97 deg before slowly dropping back down to 88-92 deg range at 110-120 kph. Having a winch and lights mounted on the bullbar probably doesn't help with airflow.

I noticed the factory temp gauge hadn't moved at all through this. Stayed where it always does, a bit under half. Looks like they read "normal" at anywhere from mid 40's to 100deg. Wonder how hot is too hot for these things?
I can only assume you haven't got an egt gauge? I'd be more concerned with the exhaust temperature once the coolant temperature starts rising. Coolant temp only gives you part of the picture. Once that starts rising, oil temp is also getting up there... I haven't got an oil temp gauge on mine, I do have boost, egt and oil pressure though. It is amazing how quick the egt goes up with these things when you work them hard.

I just moved from Darwin to W.A , ute loaded up towing an enclosed trailer. Ecutalk showed 106 and the guage hadn't budged from it's normal postion of just under half. Didn't want to find out when it does move but i'm guessing 110.

Good old Gero haha. You're in for a windy time up there.

I can take up hangliding again. Not enough wind for hangliding i'll go diving instead.

I like the sound of the Engine Watchdog @Horatius how’s its performing? What do you think about the Oil Level Alarm function and it being synced to the stock oil level switch?
Now that I've had it for a while and used it in different seasons and conditions, it works great. I have the alarm set at 100 deg C (normal use temp range seems to vary between 65-90 deg C depending on conditions and season). I did get to exactly 100 deg once, but that was on a 48 deg day up an extended incline on the freeway. There's a very convenient mounting point/ bolt hole on the head near the firewall grommet that I use for the thermocouple. Didn't bother with the oil pressure alarm, though I know there are people who have dual channel models that use the other channel to monitor their auto transmission.

It records highest temp reached also which is interesting. These cars don't get very hot at low speed off road, regardless of how much they're worked and how steep and tough the tracks are it rarely gets above 85 deg. Across the Simpson desert with outside temps in the 40's struggling over sand hills in 1st gear highest temp reached was 87 deg. Once I reached the highway sitting on 130kph it got up to highest temp of 98 deg.

I had a water temp gauge for a while too to compare and they were always within 1-2 deg of each other. Would have an egt gauge if I did any towing, but you gotta stop somewhere lol and if I had to choose one or the other I'd go with this one.

The low coolant alarm has also been very useful when changing the coolant itself, lets me know straight away when the level settles and needs a top up. Apart from that it has only gone off once going down an extremely steep track in the high country. Was nothing wrong though, as far as I can tell there might have been a small air bubble that found its way to the top radiator hose due to the steepness. No problems since and I have been on some very steep tracks. Good to know it's there.

For the zd30, there are a couple of options for ecu reading tools. I believe the easiest one is the scangauge that has a small LCD screen and control panel that sits on the dash.

I think some of the guys on here have managed to get a phone app, Nissan data scan, working with an obd adaptor but the zd30 isn't fully OBD2 compliant, so the cheap generic ones won't work...

Sounds great but unfortunately I'm from that old school where phones were always things you made phone calls with. In fact with these new fangled gadgets I have been known to struggle with doing that much! lol Even when I do think to take it (which usually involves firstly, finding where I might have left it lol). Only reason I really have one at all is that Mrs. insists.

i have one on my mitsubishi canter truck and its great , i dont trust the standard gauge / i put a switch that turns the alarm off if i need to leave the ignition turned on / mine is set to 90 degrees as the truck usually runs very cool // dont have one on my d22 though

Back