New Oil Spec for D40 Manual

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluessv

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Been doing a lot of research about what engine oil to use in my new 2010 Navara D40 manual Turbo Diesel. As I'm sure you all will know that the recommended spec for the auto is a fully synthetic 5w-30 as they are running the Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF).

The Nissan spec for the manual however has been 10w-40 as that is their spec on their genuine oil. This has always just been a guide as they refer you to the Ambient Temp table re: viscosity grade and as long as the oil meets API CF-4 or better. All this info is on the service books.

Was speaking with Nissan Customer service today who again confirmed that the recommended oil spec for the manual is the 10w-40. HOWEVER, they went further stating they had only recently received info in an Australian wide notice from Nissan engineers that 15w-40 oil is not to be used in the YD25DDTi motors. They did not say why just that the use of the 15w-40 was banned and that ONLY 10w-40 grade oil was allowed.

This was very interesting as the majority of members, from what I've read, along with the majority of manufacturers are using 15w-40 grade oil for these motors. More importantly, I phoned three (3) dealers in my area of north-east NSW and two (2) of them are using a 15w-40 grade oil as their factory oil. Only one was using a 10w-40.....and funny enough NONE are using Nissan Genuine oil.

I know there are oil threads out there, and this isn't intended to be another "what oil do you use" thread. But like I said, heaps of guys are using 15w-40 oil in these motors of various brands and thought this info may be of interest to you. Further, all those guys trying to do the right thing and have their D40's serviced from Nissan....I'd be questioning what oil they are using and hitting them up about this NEW hard stance on 10w-40 grade.

Further, all those guys trying to do the right thing and have their D40's serviced from Nissan....I'd be questioning what oil they are using and hitting them up about this NEW hard stance on 10w-40 grade.

Mines getting 160000km sevice next tuesday at ferntree gully nissan.
I'll be sure to ask.They are pretty good there.

Last edited:
The Customer Service guys was quite specific in saying that the Australian wide info related to YD's....in no way was he narrowing it down to year models. He did say that the info didn't say that using 15w-40 oil would actually damage the motor but just that the engineers have told them not to use it at all. Possibly for economy, blowing excess smoke, or a range of reasons they didn't expand on??

But by using it when they are specifically saying not to just gives them the "out" they need to deny warranty claims as far as I'm concerned.

Remember, they will still tell you to use the 5w-30 for the DPF fitted Auto model but the new info only relates to the manual version....even though the motors are identical as far as I know. That tells me the engineers want anything from 5w-30 to 10w-40 in these motors and nothing heavier.

Use a full syn oil...5W-40 for the manuals d40+22,
and 5W-30 for the auto d40 and you cant go wrong.

Edge 0W-40 syn is ok as they dont have a '5W',
as is the'OEM SLX PRO' oil though you wont get that in a 5 litre drum...20 ltr minimum.

Latest posts

Back