Is this the right wire to cut on my alternator?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I realise I'm dredging up old posts but I've only just got my Nav. My main concern is will the removal of the green wire from the plug speed up wear on the alternator? And has OP had any long term effects?

Yes there are. Increased fuel consumption, reduced alternator life - it will be like your car had a real alternator and still had to turn it over. On the positive, you don't need special circuits to use an auxiliary battery and your starter battery gets charged better.

Went camping off grid last week just north of Weipa and wasn’t aware of the smart alternator when I reinstalled my dual battery from my 03 Courier. Obviously I got poor performance from my AGM. So today I’ve just cut the green wire at the fuse box. Tomorrow I’m going to run an in-line swith to the cab. My theory is I can turn it on and off as required. While not camping etc.. and just doing the normal running around I can switch it “on” completing the normal circuit. When required switch it off on trips to give the auxiliary battery full charge. Has anyone else done this and should it work. I’d be interested in your thoughts

That sounds pretty clever. I don't think the length of the wire will make a lot of difference, but if it does start to act odd, try putting a relay in where you made the cut (connect one side of the cut to pin 30, the other to 87, then find a positive feed for pin 86 and run a wire from 85 through the firewall to a switch with the other side of the switch connected to earth).

Ok I didn’t bother running it to the cab. Just put an inline switch on top of the fuse box cover. Saved any chance of voltage drop etc.. affecting performance.

Attachments

• C79A6E1C-6E49-48F7-BD7F-F8AF091837A6.jpg
    C79A6E1C-6E49-48F7-BD7F-F8AF091837A6.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 28F26900-6664-47D2-B396-8B662BBFFD21.jpg
    28F26900-6664-47D2-B396-8B662BBFFD21.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 62
I realise I'm dredging up old posts but I've only just got my Nav. My main concern is will the removal of the green wire from the plug speed up wear on the alternator? And has OP had any long term effects?

Strings, i removed the green wire from the plug on the first day i got my Nav. I still have the battery in the car that it come with and the car is almost 5 years old. Have had problems with the alternator also.

Cheers

Shawn

I know this is an old post But does anyone know how to do this to a spain built 08 yd25 model
as the plugs are all different in the fuse box.
I have just fitted a new alternator after fitting a new engine and it worked for 3 hours then no charge so thought I would try this before taking the alternator back to bursons.
Thanks.

Thanks for that that's great to know. I just rang the manufacturer of the Alternator Bursons sold me and they have sold me the wrong one, it only suited thai ones so that was the problem after a day of studying, chasing wires and finding fuses. but at least not having a smart alt that is one less thing to worry about.

Latest posts

Back