D40 OBD MIL Code 1143 - Steering angle sensor.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sundowner2

Reaction score
Recently I had new tyres fitted and a wheel alignment on my 2012 D40 RX.
My Vehicle Stability Control MIL illuminated on the dash, at first it flashed on and off but then stayed on permanently.
See attached image.

I took the truck back to the tyre fitters, they claim they did nothing to cause this and their generic OBD scanner found no codes at all. I have since taken it to another workshop and they found Nissan code C1143, steering angle sensor...they quote $680 to replace the sensor but with no guarantee to fix it!.
Nissan want $110 just to connect their Consult11 OBD scanner.
The steering angle sensor is located behind the steering wheel. The sensor detects the rotation amount, angular velocity and direction of the steering wheel, and transmits the data to the Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) actuator and electric unit (control unit) via Control Area Network (CAN) communication.

The odd thing is, I don't believe my RX (pensioner pack) even has VSC fitted...there is no mention at all in the owners manual.

Anyone else come across this or have any suggestions?.

Attachments

• Nissan VSC.JPG
    Nissan VSC.JPG
    11.5 KB · Views: 84
Still not familiar with the more modern ones. Mine has no steer angle sensor, and my guess is still the wheel alignment. That's likely to be what's changed.

I wonder if you can adjust the steer angle sensor?

Thanks Tony. And for anyone following this post, I may have found the solution...this from Nissan USA..I see no reason why it would not apply here too.

It is the position of Nissan North America that, any time an alignment is done on a vehicle
equipped with Vehicle Dynamic Control, a reset of the steering angle sensor is mandatory. In
addition, if any component of the steering or suspension system is damaged on a Nissan
vehicle, or removed/installed, a reset of the SAS will be required where applicable, regardless
of whether or not an indicator light is displayed on the dash.

So, I can spend $110 and Nissan can connect their Consult 11 gear and in maybe 3 minutes I'll be happy....apparently only the Consult 11 can reset it.

Wait, before you spend that money ... shouldn't the tyre guys be able (required) to do that, since they're the ones that did the alignment?

A lot of this tech does make you wish it was just a case of throwing a saddle up and over, sometimes.

Yep....I agree Tony...problem is that Nissan claim the reset can only be done using their
proprietary tools...i.e Nissan Consult 11 diagnostic equipment....my OBD scanner doesn't even throw up the MIL.....and I guess I should have followed it up sooner...the wheel alignment was done before our Cooktown trip, some 9000 km ago.

I'm hoping other Nissan owners here will now be aware before any front end work.

While that does seem to suck, the machines available from SnapOnTools and others can do the same functions that the Consult II and Consult III can do. I know, my local mechanic (who is a tractor mechanic first and foremost) has one and he reset the DPF for me. My own tool couldn't even see a code either.

Might be worthwhile having a chat to a mechanic friend, because those devices can do a very large range of cars.

I also doubt that Nissan are the only ones with a steering angle sensor that requires resetting after a wheel alignment, so I would be very surprised if these tools didn't find their way into tyre supply/fitter shops as well.

I have found Nissan North America Service Bulletin (NPSB -16-602) and it states that any Nissan fitted with VDC must have the Steering Sensor reset after any front end work including a wheel alignment... have contacted Nissan Australia and they confirm this applies to Australian Nissan's also...I was told that only Nissan can reset the sensor. This seems discriminatory to me...what if I live 700 km from a Nissan Service centre?....additionally, if a minor prang has occurred the G Sensor will probably need Nissan to reset it too...they are doing well given they charge up to $110 just to plug their Consult-II in!.
Has anyone else come across this issue?

Last edited:
I have a 2012 ST bought it new. I have had regular wheel alignments none of them done at Nissan. I have never seen this error light after an alignment. I will check my owners manual to verify if this is required during the alignment.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Fellows....I finally got around to getting this issue looked at....as mentioned the US Nissan Service bulletin relating to the likely (but not always) need to have the Steering Angle Sensor reset following front end work, including wheel alignment applies to Australian Nissan as well....I was informed that providing the vehicle is not immediately driven at full steering lock following any work a reset might not be needed, this may have happen when I got my alignment...a few days ago I took the ute into a small rural Nissan dealership and 20 minutes and $70 later all is well.

Latest posts

Back