D22 Fuel filter plunger issues

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimH

Reaction score
Hello, I have seen this thread posted a few times but I cannot figure out the remedy from any other posts so I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me any tips, here is the problem I have -

I changed the fuel filter for the first time on my D22, when I went to pump the plunger i found that there is no fuel plunging from the tank to the fuel filter inlet, or through the filter and out of the outlet. Does anybody have any advice on what this may be? I don't know whether it may be a dodgy seal on the new filter or if the plunger is faulty (as its the first time ive changed the filter), or i was reading on other threads that I can push the fuel through the lines with compressed air?

Just wondering on where would be the best place to start, Any help would be appreciated as it has become a real frustration! Thanks!

Yeah I recently did the same thing and was told I only had to pump it a few times but nothing seemed to happen. It wasn't untill I had a really good go at pumping that sucker that any fuel travelled up the line and primed. Once it was done the plunger was really stiff to push. I was there for probably a full minute pumping like a mad man. Must of looked suss. Hope that helps:rock:

Haha yeah the mrs might get a bit worried if she's listening... I've given it a real go but not having any luck,
Does anybody know Would it help to get a vacuum pump on the inlet or outlet fuel pipes at the fuel plunger or I read where someone hooked an air compressor up to their fuel tank and forced it through.. Don't really know which way to go... Was even thinking of sticking a primer bulb on the inlet line to see if that will help bring it up in the future... Does anyone have any advice on which would be the best route to take?
Cheers
Tim

I had the same problem last week.

Get someone to pump air into the fuel tank while pumping the primer. In my case it took almost an hour of on and off pumping. What ever you do dont start the car untill the filter is primed, otherwise you will be priming all day.

Goodluck

Thanks for the advice mate! Do you just pump air into the fuel tank at the fuel cap where you usually fill up?

No Primer

Had similar problem pulled the prime roff and found small piece of crap under the valves in the pump cleaned out and working fine now .Only has to be small item to stop one way valve not to seat properly
Chris

what size are the rubber fuel lines on the filter,i wanna replace every piece i can find aswell as get another filter head as mine wont prime either.

I think the fuel lines are about 10mm, I have found a cheaper fix as I priced a fuel plunger setup at $250 from a mate at Nissan, which isnt too bad but there seems to be a bit of a common flaw with them,

so I decided to plumb in a marine style priming bulb (used to prime fuel lines on outboard motors) on the inlet fuel line to give the existing plunger a hand drawing from the tank, the setup only cost about $30 and worked like a charm, I'll try to chuck a photo on if I can figure out how to.. Would definitely recommend giving it a try

There's the pic if the priming bulb

Attachments

• image-4152250501.jpg
    image-4152250501.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 2,056
^ Not into boating but good idea.

Got vice grips ?

Clamp the line going back to the tank (The rubber hose) and clamp the line going to the pump. Then remove the filter.
That way the fuel cant drain back.

we get those plungers on diesel puegot cars,i just ordered one of a 2.5 off ebay £45 delivered guy reckons he only did 700 miles with it before his bottom end let go,even if lines are bigger on 3.0 the fittings unscrew but doubt nissan bothered making any changes.

Yeah that's not a bad idea, I am just going to keep my eyes and ears open for a decent wreckage but for now I'll leave that in place, cheers for the advice everyone! Will definately be clamping hosed next time :)

First time I did it a year ago it took me ages to get it to prime but worked eventually, and just changed the filter again yesterday, couldnt get it to prime at all.... I was getting close to ripping it back out again, tried all sorts of things, funnel and hose to the filter to try and fill up the filter etc to at least get it to suck... no luck. So what did I do? Straight to the forum, and low and behold, right on the fresh post section is this thread :) I love the forum...
Did the compressed air trick in the tank filler cap, primed in about 20 secs.... beautiful.
Thanks guys, you probably saved a few panels on my ute...

As an aside, totally unrelated to this topic, at the same time I got my unifilter in, oil catch can, EGR / Butterfly /Swirl, new antenna for the radio, fitted Boost/EGT gauges on the pillarpod and fitted the pyro and boost line, and a few other bits and pieces that i needed to fix up... was a good day.

Yer, both the plunger on my Nav and parents patrol (Both Non Common Rail 3.0L) have been replaced because they would not prime any more. Gave a noticable difference in the patrol.

Clean it out

Primer would not work on mine once removed and just cleaned it out with compressed air had a bit of crap under one of the one way valves .Still working well
Chris

Clamping the lines and filling the new filter to the top with diesel 1st does the job...and when you crank the engine over have someone hand prime the plunger ---just in case as there will be a small amount of air in there.

Bulb looks good

Latest posts

Back