Catch Can Plumbing

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuthanav

Reaction score
Hi All,
Ive done all the install for the mounting of a catch can to my Nav. (D40 ST-X V9X).
I can't finish attaching the hoses due to injuries at the moment. Getting a mate to do that for me i hope.
Could someone tell me where the outlet pipe from the can attaches to the inlet system so I can give instructions to my mate.
I want to use the same inlet port as the std PCV setup. Got the pipe from the PCV to catch can worked out ok so thats sorted.
I cant get my head in and around the engine and induction pipes to find where I need to attach the outlet from the can back to the inlet system.
Any help would be really appreciated.

There's a hose that runs from the PCV outlet on the camshaft cover to the air intake just before the turbocharger. You have to take one end of this hose off to install the catch can.

Let's say you disconnect the PCV side. You now have a hose still connected to the intake pipe just before the turbocharger. You connect the other end of this hose to the outlet of the catch can. You then put a new piece of hose from the PCV on the motor to the inlet of the catch can.

It works similarly if you disconnect the intake side of that hose - you're left with a hose connected to the PCV. Connect this to the inlet of the catch can. Then connect a new hose from the outlet of the catch can to the intake join that the first hose came from.

Put simply, you have two hoses (represented by ==== ) that go like this:

PCV ========== Catch Can IN -- Catch Can OUT ========== Intake pipe

Hope you recover soon.

V9X Catch Can

1. Remove pipes to and from turbo
2. Remove small coolant line and hard pipe/bracket and push up behind fuel lines.
3. Undo the 4 bolts holding turbo manifold, rear bottom last (loosen)
4. With the last bolt in you can turn the manifold down, now remove the two 10mm bolts holding the black PVC Valve.
5. Everything away, I used 16mm hose and run it out to the front of the air box.

Many thanks Old Tony.
Once again a concise post. Although I had the plumbing arranged as your diagram sets out, there is some comfort in a confirmation.
Thanks to you too Bazt. Your post gives clarity to the procedure to be followed.I notice you have an RD Technics tune done to your Nav also.
Like to offer up any comments? Did you get a remap or tweeak on a few things?
An ECU remap / tune is next on my to do list. EGR shut off is my priority
Just need to find someone/outlet to get to do it.

Bazt, can I ask precisely where the hose connected "to the front of the airbox" is connected to? Is it between the air filter and the turbocharger?
I think he means he ran the hoses and placed the catch can in front of the airbox...

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

I think he means he ran the hoses and placed the catch can in front of the airbox...

Pretty sure of the same, but there are going to be people who come past the thread later and read it and not make the same assumption. In the interests of saving their air filter, I thought I'd ask the question! :)

Pretty sure of the same, but there are going to be people who come past the thread later and read it and not make the same assumption. In the interests of saving their air filter, I thought I'd ask the question! :)
Yeah I do see your point. 😂

This is correct Bods.
Tony, I have a couple of how-tos with pics etc on this but cant get the whole articles to transfer to this site so just pasted the text which left things a bit unclear.

I made the same assumption.It's about the only place to mount a can with the engine installation the way it is. That's where I've put mine too.
It looks to me that the PCV outlet points down, say 6 o'clock. Can it be rotated to say 9 o'clock, pointing out to the passenger side of the engine bay, to allow an easy fit up for the pipe out to the can? Would make it easy if it does.

I notice you have an RD Technics tune done to your Nav also.
Like to offer up any comments? Did you get a remap or tweeak on a few things?
An ECU remap / tune is next on my to do list. EGR shut off is my priority
Just need to find someone/outlet to get to do it.
Boost is standard 25.5 psi. EGR disabled. More torque than really needed but I love it. Been no dramas since tune installed 3 years ago. Get around 9.0 lphk cruising. 17-20 towing the van, approx 3 tonne, at 100.

Attachments

• IMG_20170615_0005.jpg
    IMG_20170615_0005.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 129
Thats a nice pair of lines on the print out Bazt.
Anyone would want that power delivery for a tow unit.
I'm impressed. somethjing i would like to end up with to pull the float.

This is correct Bods.
Tony, I have a couple of how-tos with pics etc on this but cant get the whole articles to transfer to this site so just pasted the text which left things a bit unclear.

Bath, do you still have the photos and text on the catch can install.. Going to give it a go shortly.. thanks.

Hi all,
have an Pathfinder with the same engine and want to install a catch can, too.
Have I to replace the PCV with an adapter, some YouTube vids shows that, or should the catch can in addition to the PCV?
And are the diameter of the PCV outlet really 16mm? Then I have to install a kind of smaller hose adapter, because the in- and outlet of the can are only 10mm.

some suggestions?
thanks in advance

Effectively, the catch can is simply a device that sits IN the hose that goes from the PCV on the engine to the port on the air intake just forward of the turbocharger. The length of the hose that does this hardly matters (ok, it can't be 50 metres long!) as long as the connection remains.

This means you can put the catch can anywhere you like. Run a hose from the PCV on the engine to the catch can inlet, and another hose from the catch can outlet to the port on the air intake. How you do it is entirely up to you.

Important: keeping the hoses short is ok, but the engine moves so the hose must be free to move too since the catch can is likely to be mounted on the body and not on the engine. Provide some allowance for engine movement so the hose doesn't pull off the catch can.

Thanks for the reply.
do you know the diameter of the PCV outlet, only to buy the right hoses.

Not off hand, I did buy some hoses for mine but can't recall the size. I just measured it off the hose I pulled from the air intake just in front of the turbo.

I do recall having to adapt to a smaller hose for the catch can though - the can used a smaller tube for its inlet and outlet.

Do you know what kind of hoses do you bought?
I think because of the temperature and the oil resistance.

Effectively, the catch can is simply a device that sits IN the hose that goes from the PCV on the engine to the port on the air intake just forward of the turbocharger. The length of the hose that does this hardly matters (ok, it can't be 50 metres long!) as long as the connection remains.

This means you can put the catch can anywhere you like. Run a hose from the PCV on the engine to the catch can inlet, and another hose from the catch can outlet to the port on the air intake. How you do it is entirely up to you.

Important: keeping the hoses short is ok, but the engine moves so the hose must be free to move too since the catch can is likely to be mounted on the body and not on the engine. Provide some allowance for engine movement so the hose doesn't pull off the catch can.
Hi Old.Tony,

the diameter of the hoses are clarified (16mm ID), but I have a question.
I found the following picture in the repair manual and marked the PCV in yellow and the hoses from the crankshaft in red.
From my understanding the PCV is connected with the air intake port of the turbo. So the only way is to put the CatchCan in the hose between the Can and the crankshaft. That means the outlet of the crankshaft goes to the inlet of the Can, and the outlet of the Can to the inlet of the PCV.
I am totally wrong?
But you wrote it the other way around. Technically it doesn‘t matter, but the filter inside the Can is a combination of stainless steel wool and a brass filter on the outlet. And I hardly want to prevent to get the brass filter dirty.
I can‘t get rid of the PCV, because I have no kind of adapter to connect the Can directly to the air inlet of the turbo.

I‘m totally wrong?

Attachments

• PCV.png
    PCV.png
    284.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
You aren't wrong. In the case where the PCV is outside the engine block and attached to the turbo's intake, you have no choice but to put the catch can in the hose that runs between the camshaft cover and the PCV.

Latest posts

Back