ODB2 Codes & Special Nissan codes

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLA

Reaction score
My Nissan D40 STX550 V6 is nearly out of extended warranty so now I am on my own. A good find is an iPhone/iPad app.
I had trouble finding it again on the App store.
I searched for "obd2 nissan" and the app's name is "Nissan App!"
Cost is about $14.00

First impressions without connecting to the vehicle:
There are a bunch of general OBD2 codes that apply to all ODB2 compatible cars. Then there are a bunch of extended codes specific to Nissan.
This app seems to list them all. Vital stuff when miles from nowhere and the Navara is listed as compatible.

I have yet to try it on bluetooth to see if it can interact with the ODB2 system in the D40 but even if I need a normal scanner to get a failing code, this app gives me a wealth of information with good explanations and search features about the codes.

This app appears to only be a Nissan encyclopedia on ODB2 error codes. I don't think it connects to a bluetooth ODB2 port but will test that in a week or two.

The app has only one rating and its a low one star? It seems to have been put there by the developer? Perhaps a mistake? So far I would give it a five out of five.

Anyone else looked at this app and considered its value?

Any other suitable apps for the specific Nissan codes?

I use Torque by Ian Hawkins - I don't know that he has an Apple version.

The thing to know about OBD codes is that they're sometimes not as accurate as you might hope. We've had reports of pump codes going crazy and it's an electrical connection (battery terminal dirty, that sort of thing). The ECU can only make guesses based on the data it gets, and sometimes if one issue (like a failing BCS) could make it look like something else is happening. A dirty MAFS could make you think there's a problem with fuel pressure (because A/F ratios are reporting incorrectly) or result in an overboost.

In general they're ok. The trick is to grab the trouble code (DTC, it's called) and check it in the manual for your car (not the manual in the glove box, the Nissan service manual that they won't let you have but you can score by downloading it - I no longer have an active link for one, but I have a copy - no, it can't be emailled, it's too large).

You can just google "OBD P1027" or whatever the code is and get a response and that's usually pretty good. About 2007 onwards in the D40 range Nissan started using standard codes so most of them will be right.

Hi Tony,
I had a look to Torque on the apple store but nothing.
I take your point about the accuracy of the DTC but hopefully it’s a lead in to the problem.

The Nissan app I mentioned has its own database and does not need an Internet connection which is a advantage. Having Internet access would allow me to lookup the code an get a few more ideas.

I do have a download of the D40 manual but there is not one for the STX550. The Renault V9X engine is totally different to the standard D40 engine. The Renault Infiniti car uses the same engine but the bolt on bits are very different.
Then there is the transmission which also is different to the standard D40 and of course to the Renault car.

Even the brake rotors etc are different on the STX550 compared with the standard D40.

With the correct error code description I still have to know where the eg. EGR valve is and how to replace it.

Ian must have stopped work on the Apple version.

The V9X manual (and the tech service "Training Manual" which is also useful) is out there.

The section of the D40 manual that has the V9X DTC list is 11.9Mb, I could send that to you via mail if you wish. You would have used your email when you joined, so you only need to say yes :)

Hi , tony. Could you also email me the list of V9x codes please. May help when travelling.
Thanks

Just to be clear on a couple of points.

The V9X has the same brakes as the 2.5.
I have an Infiniti with this engine, it does have the same Jatco 7AT transmission and most of the engine ancillaries are the same.

IV tryed a tun of cheepies. the nsd app work well for codes for me. I couldn't get much else to work with it.

Latest posts

Back