Injector pump removal

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timcyn7

Reaction score
Gday lads,

In the process of replacing my injector pump. I have the workshop manual, printed off the procedure, and studied it.
I just want to double check on what and where i need to lock gears etc?
Im replacing the timing chain too...
So i remove the plug on the gear case and lock it with a bolt... will this lock everything? ( cam shaft etc)?
if so.... after that remove chain, pump etc. install new pump, align yellow link on chain to notch on pump, 2 blue markings on chain at the cam sprocket, remove lock bolts , re assemble?

Im pretty handy on the tools, just being extra paranoid lol...

its good to be paranoid with that timing chain.
the bolt only locks the sissor gear to stop it springing apart. the cams etc will all be free.
i recommend cranking it around so all the timing marks line up, especially the letters, before taking the chain off. so if anything gets moved you can simply line up the letters. its the pain in the butt way of doing it but its more forgiving. it just takes a huge amount of turns to get them to line up.

OK thanks mate.. What about viut the pump? There's a dowl or something I have to insert?

its good to be paranoid with that timing chain.
the bolt only locks the sissor gear to stop it springing apart. the cams etc will all be free.
i recommend cranking it around so all the timing marks line up, especially the letters, before taking the chain off. so if anything gets moved you can simply line up the letters. its the pain in the butt way of doing it but its more forgiving. it just takes a huge amount of turns to get them to line up.

So line AAA and BBB on camshaft sprockets? and CCC on pump and scissor gear sprockets? Lock scissor gear with bolt... If i do that correctly, is that all i have to do to make sure its all lined up?
What about the markings on the pump before i remove it and installing the new pump?
The manual doesnt make too much clear..

make sure the main front pulley is on TDC.
as well as the AA etc lining up, the paint on the timing chain and dots also need to line up.
get everything lined up before you take the chain off. that way when you refit everything you just have to line everything up again.

you will find that when you turn the engine over the letters will often line up but the timing chain will not. its a lot of turning over before you can get all of them to line up.

make sure the main front pulley is on TDC.
as well as the AA etc lining up, the paint on the timing chain and dots also need to line up.
get everything lined up before you take the chain off. that way when you refit everything you just have to line everything up again.

you will find that when you turn the engine over the letters will often line up but the timing chain will not. its a lot of turning over before you can get all of them to line up.

Cheers tweak'e..

So to find tdc, i just keep rotating the engine by hand untill the yellow mark lines up with the notch on pump, 2 dark chain links line up with dots on cam shaft sprocket, aa-a, bb-b and cc-c all line up and main large pulley at front line is lined up with the notch too? Then that will be tdc? and all lined up? What about the 6mm ish hole on ip?

Also when I put the new pump in does that have to be in a certain spot.? I had a look at the pump but can't see what to line up etc?

very quickly,
all the marks should line up.
put the bolt in the scissor gear (pump gear?) and lock it. thats the stop the spring flying out when you unbolt the pulley.
pump pulley should be keyed so it only goes on one way.
pump just bolts on, line up the letters on the gears and your good.

follow the manual and you should be fine. the only major trap is locking that gear with the bolt. fail to do that you will be buying a new one.

Thanks mate I appreciate the time you have taken to reply.. Fingers crossed lol..

Maybe post some pics up as you go, especially when it comes to removing and installing the timing chain to help people in the future doing this.

Yeah i have been studying his thread like a hawk!... bloody good write up.. I just cant get the marks all to line up.. Can get BBB to line a up a few times but AAA and CCC dont.. Been turning for ages lol.... I will upload some photos over the weekend..

Latest posts

Back