Is all diesel the same.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benengel

Reaction score
Hey.
With the raising fuel prices here in Nz
I can't justify not going to the cheaper pumps now

Is there any reason to not go to the cheaper pumps compared to the normal ones like bp etc?

Is there good or bad quality diesel.

Cheers Ben

Afaik all diesel fuel has to meet minimum requirements (in aus at least). From there on it is about additives and marketing spin. Whether such additives make a difference, who knows, not sure there have been any objective studies done on this. They aren't necessary though.

Last edited:
ps. which means that "theoretically" all diesel sold at the bowser anywhere in aus meets the requirements for fuel that your car is designed to run on. The distinction between brands amounts to claims about unnecessary additives and mostly, marketing bullshit.

That's in Aus, not sure how it works in kiwiland though. Upkeep of and checking of storage tanks themselves re fuel quality at individual servos could be a different issue though. Not sure if there is legislation or an industry standard on that.

by mem about 90% of nz diesel comes out of marsden refinery.
not sure on the current status as years ago the imported diesel was the best and it was gull i think that first brought it in. however i have no kept up with who stocks what.
with the rules on smoking diesels i think the companies all supply fairly decent fuel.

yeah i'm currently living in the south island, so we get the good ole ferry tax
all the main brands are 1.48 AU roughly
npd is roughly 1.42
mckeown is roughly 1.34 AU

Driving around auckland this week the main brands where 1.29 - 1.39 AUD plus RUCS which tweakes meantioned before

we are at approx $150 odd per litre for diesel in Queensland Australia. diesel should be much cheaper considering all transport trucks use it for our main supplies of food etc etc etc. its just a complete rip off these days.

we are at approx $150 odd per litre for diesel in Queensland Australia. diesel should be much cheaper considering all transport trucks use it for our main supplies of food etc etc etc. its just a complete rip off these days.
I thought $1.60 was bad in Perth... That's the average at the moment, some servos are down around $1.45. We have a fuel watch website and app for Android over here in WA that shows fuel prices for pretty much everywhere in the state every day. Next day prices are up there from 2.30pm so you can shop around.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

Hey bods we have something similar, but you get to know your local area pretty well on whos cheapest. find that the truck stops or any petrol station witch is self serve and has no attendants are by far the cheapest.

we literally have to nps 100meters from each other, one is a truck stop and is 15c cheaper then the other npd which is 100ms away but has fancy signs and a cafe etc etc..

Yep true that. The whole "fuel watch" thing was apparently supposed to regulate the fuel price here, but apparently don't. Not that it worries me, I have a long range tank in mine and don't go far to work so it lasts a while haha.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

Interesting. Explodes a few myths about "premium diesel" fuels and also the (non) difference between truck and car diesels.

[YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fKxLOTVEnI[/YT]

Last week went to fill up...shell $1.59...caltex $1.59...bp $1.57...then saw a budget servo at $1.36. So that's either $79.50 or $68.00 for 50l of basically the same thing.

Latest posts

Back