Ticking noise after oil & filter change

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hodge

Reaction score
Dropped the oil today and changed filter. Nothing out of the ordinary, however it was my first time doing it on the Nav. It swallowed around 4.4-4.5L of oil.
After the job as the day went on i noticed a ticking noise. Sounds exactly like the electric lighters / igniters for gas stoves. That "tick tick tick" sound. Except louder. Cannot pin-point where its coming from, but seems louder from the sides of the car, as i walk to the front it's dulled by the sound of the engine.

Checked and re-check oil few times, remains steady below H. Oil filter is tight, as tight as i could get it by hand . There are no leaks that i can see.

After turning car off for a little bit, turning it back on, ticking is gone, but slowly gradually returns.

What am i looking at ?

i did mine today but didnt get the ticking you have, also mine took 5.5l, does the ticking increase with engine revs?

i did mine today but didnt get the ticking you have, also mine took 5.5l, does the ticking increase with engine revs?

Not sure, mate i ran out of daylight and didn't wanna disturb neighbours with engine revving as we're in a tight court. Although i know there is no set pattern to it, just a random tick every 1 to 3 seconds.

Ok, looked more into it today and it seems to begin only once engine is warmed up completely. And to scoobas question yes it does become more common with revs up.
Soome googling reveals, that tappets sometime needs some time to adjust to new oil ? Otherwise i can't think of anything else.

Genuine 10W-40 semi-synth from Nissan. It's what nissan gave me when i asked for oil & filter for my nav.

Mine does the exact same thing. I have no idea what it could be either. My Nav has only just done 6000km.
It's due for the 6 month service, so I'll see what Nissan says.

Mine does the exact same thing. I have no idea what it could be either. My Nav has only just done 6000km.
It's due for the 6 month service, so I'll see what Nissan says.

Has yours been doing it for a while mate or after an oil change? Mine started right after I changed filter and oil once engine warmed up.

I noticed it about a week ago and can't recall hearing it before then. Likewise the car had been warmed up. I haven't changed the oil in it yet so I can't relate it to that.
Could the alternator make a noise like that?

I noticed it about a week ago and can't recall hearing it before then. Likewise the car had been warmed up. I haven't changed the oil in it yet so I can't relate it to that.
Could the alternator make a noise like that?

Definitely could. But mines right after the oil change and literally touching nothing else under the hood other than the filter, oil cap and the sump plug.
It's concerning me more now as i realized after engine warms up and under a few extra revs it turns into a very feint mini-rattle...

Interesting ..... What brand oil and filter did you use on the change before this one?

Interesting ..... What brand oil and filter did you use on the change before this one?

Unsure mate, as it was done by nissan during last service. However the oil filter looked identical to the one i put back on. You reckon different oil might have done something ??

COuld something be loose in the filter and causing the tapping inside of it maybe ??? As the oil flows ?

Different oil grade might be causing an issue with oil pressure when warm.... Can you post a vid?

Different oil grade might be causing an issue with oil pressure when warm.... Can you post a vid?

Tried taking video but the sound quality doesnt make the tick sound stand out so its pointless. As for different grade oil, i'm really not sure what nissan used last service, but I only used what they gave me.

Mate gave me a small bottle of flashlube diesel additive to a tank and i took the car around for a bit of a drive and once i got home the "tick" wasn't as frequent, it was almost 1/10th of what it used to be so... Heres hoping that contributed to it somewhat.

Mines a 08 yd25 and mine has started to make a rattle knock sound in it can only hear it when ur on the passanger side of the car sound like mine is a tappet only started doing it monday when i started the car any ideas

Could it be that due to the recent oil change and possible lower engine noise you are hearing something that may have already been there?

Could it be that due to the recent oil change and possible lower engine noise you are hearing something that may have already been there?

hey mate. 100% something that was not there prior. even people who don't know my engine noticed it straight away, a very distinct ticking noise every now and then. sometimes when you turn the car off, that ticking noise the exhaust or manifolds make during cool down, that's what it sounds like but a bit louder, and only while engine is running.

Here is a idea for u mate in the morning before u start it when its cold boil the kettle and poor hot water over ur belts and start the car and see if that makes it go away let us know how that goes for u

Latest posts

Back