ZD30 Turbo oil leak.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smithy79

Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm very new to the forum. I've been reading/ perusing it for a while, and what a wealth of info there is here.
I would like to ask for some help/ advice in my first post.
I'm not familiar with working under the bonnet of my Navara, other than routine maintenance & servicing. However I'm good with my hands and tools and keen to have a go at anything.
I've had an oil leak around the turbo for sometime, I mentioned it to a local mechanic and he said "oh yeah, they get that, it's nothing to worry about. She'll be right.." However, a leak is a leak in my books, correct me if I'm wrong please.
I've attached some photos of the area that is building up with oil so you can see where I'm talking about. Some advice on what I need to do to rectify it would be much appreciated.
Thanks for your time everyone.
Smithy

Attachments

• image-1077514912.jpg
    image-1077514912.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 2,482
  • image-2902906344.jpg
    image-2902906344.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 658
its from the oil via the breather. thats why many people fit catch cans. heaps of info on here about it.

That's it- a well set up catch can! And by the way- your mechanic is a dick- and your danm right Smithy "an oil leak is an oil leak" and means trouble, and your right in this case!! That oil mixes with the Exhaust Gases and end up blocking the air intake... So your mechanic is dead wrong- she wont be right !

Thanks Guys!!
I have only just started reading about the catch cans and it is something I'd like to install very soon.
I wasn't aware that my leak was one of the symptoms of not having the catch can.
Yeah, I didn't really like the response I got "it's normal, she'll be right". So I'm glad I signed up here and asked you guys.
Is there a preferred can everyone likes? I see there's a couple of types, some look like the exact same moulded can but have different suppliers.
Would you all advise I clean everything such as the turbo and the dirty hoses whilst I have it apart when installing the catch can?
Cheers again for the quick responses!
Smithy

Smithy,
Ive had my Nav since new 2005 and it developed this leak soon after. I drove it from Victoria to Cairns and then took it to Nissan who had a look and said they all do it put another hose clamp on it. Not satisfied I eventually found out about the small forefront catchcan and installed it and problem solved.

This is why this website is so good.....a person that is willing to explain their problem politely and ask for help....and a massive amount of people to give honest easy help.

But yeh as above "normal" in the way that every single d22 does it....but not "normal" in the way you want your car operating ...so a catch can catches the oil and separates it from the air being breathed by the engines crank case to stop it building up in the turbo inlet.

This is why this website is so good.....a person that is willing to explain their problem politely and ask for help....and a massive amount of people to give honest easy help. But yeh as above "normal" in the way that every single d22 does it....but not "normal" in the way you want your car operating ...so a catch can catches the oil and separates it from the air being breathed by the engines crank case to stop it building up in the turbo inlet.
Too right mate!
I am overwhelmed by how quick all the guys have responded and really appreciate the advice.
I see you guys (Forefront) have a couple of catch cans available. What one do you recommend for my ute? (2005 ZD30) Would I be best getting the same one as Jaybird has installed (small one).
Cheers again!
Smithy

I was just talking to my mate that works for nissan about my recent motor explosion. He reckons that the catch can + egr block are necessary on these engines. He's told me that the build up of residue on the pistons is a major contributor to failures in the nav zd30. Apparently the residue is ok under acceleration and low speed, but at highway speeds can cause hot spots that eventually can punch through a piston. Fun facts!

that much oil around there means your mechanic overfilled the engine, i had the same when some rookie was using a full 5litres oil but the yd25 on the d22 takes 4,3 with filter change! you can imagine where that 700 mls of excesive oil went to...
you can also imagine that he closed his garage when none would go there anymore.

What do you recommend for the reducers for the catch can forefront? Because it goes from 19mm to 15mm. Cheers.

that much oil around there means your mechanic overfilled the engine, .......
the catch with the zd30 is its overfilled when it on the high mark.
i get a lot less in the catch can if you keep it about half way between high and low on the dipstick.

the smaller catch can is ok for zd30.....but may still become overwhelmed if the motor is over filled...ive seen them breath quite a bit before

as for reducers you can do it 2 ways...plastic from the garden section in bunnings which is cheap and easy. Or fluid transfer places like hydraulinc and pirtek maybe even autobarn might have them in brass fittings

the smaller catch can is ok for zd30.....but may still become overwhelmed if the motor is over filled...ive seen them breath quite a bit before as for reducers you can do it 2 ways...plastic from the garden section in bunnings which is cheap and easy. Or fluid transfer places like hydraulinc and pirtek maybe even autobarn might have them in brass fittings
Hi,
Just ordered the large catch can from your eBay store, will hopefully get it in over the weekend.
Will try the egr block/ butterfly mod as well. The more I look at the intake piping, the more oil leaks/ seepage I'm finding. So hopefully the catch can will take care of this.
I'll post some pics of the pipes whilst I have them off to see how much residue/ build up there is.
Loving this forum btw!!!!

Hi All,
Well I didn't get round to installing the catch can. Maybe this weekend.
However, I managed to find a spare 15mins to install the EGR blocking plate and re-arrange the vac hoses as per the EGR butterfly mod. Everything seems ok and no problems when turning the engine off, so I must've done it correctly. (Gotta thank those who posted all the pics on 'how to' swap the hoses)
I've attached a couple of pics of mine for all to see, and also to let me know if it's wrong.
(Note: solenoid wires disconnected for better view only).
I'll take some pics of the catch can install once completed.
Cheers,
Smithy

Attachments

• image-1651445015.jpg
    image-1651445015.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 211
  • image-746645847.jpg
    image-746645847.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Has anyone had this problem occur after installing their catch can? Any info would be helpful. I have a 2003 navara zd30 egr and swirl mod are done too.

cheers

Has anyone had this problem occur after installing their catch can? Any info would be helpful. I have a 2003 navara zd30 egr and swirl mod are done too.

cheers
Without more detail it's hard to give you a solution, but if it has only started leaking oil since fitting the catch can, there is a good chance the catch can is restricting the pcv system and causing the gases to push oil out through the turbo seals. I wouldn't keep driving it with the catch can fitted as there is a good chance it will start running on oil and you will destroy the motor if that happens.

If you can post a picture or a few and give us some more detail on where is it leaking and what brand, etc of catch can that would help.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

Without more detail it's hard to give you a solution, but if it has only started leaking oil since fitting the catch can, there is a good chance the catch can is restricting the pcv system and causing the gases to push oil out through the turbo seals. I wouldn't keep driving it with the catch can fitted as there is a good chance it will start running on oil and you will destroy the motor if that happens.

If you can post a picture or a few and give us some more detail on where is it leaking and what brand, etc of catch can that would help.

Hey mate, thanks for the quick reply. I have added two photos, one is the set up of the provent catch can and the other is where the air intake pipe runs to the turbo. And i have since removed the catch can and replaced the original piping.

Edit - Sorry so abit more info thats where the leak is occurring, where the intake meets the turbo. there is also a lot of oil being caught in the catch can.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_0403.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0403.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 101
  • thumbnail_IMG_0401.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0401.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Hey mate, thanks for the quick reply. I have added two photos, one is the set up of the provent catch can and the other is where the air intake pipe runs to the turbo. And i have since removed the catch can and replaced the original piping.

Edit - Sorry so abit more info thats where the leak is occurring, where the intake meets the turbo. there is also a lot of oil being caught in the catch can.
All good. Shouldn't be any restriction looking at that. The only thing it looks like to me is oil residue leaking out of the hose that connects into the intake pipe before the turbo. Does that catch can have the filter inside to help catch the oil vapour and remove the oil from it?

All good. Shouldn't be any restriction looking at that. The only thing it looks like to me is oil residue leaking out of the hose that connects into the intake pipe before the turbo. Does that catch can have the filter inside to help catch the oil vapour and remove the oil from it?

Yeah even before the catch can that nipple on the air intake was always abit oily. And yep the catch can came with a removable steel mesh filter fitted inside.

The only other thing i did notice is that when the hose with the block off used to drain the can got full, that did start leaking out, instead of filling inside the catch can. Is that normal to happen?

Latest posts

Back