EGR Blank.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MitchellW

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I just bought a 2009 D40 2.5 TD.

The previous owner blanked off the EGR on
The right side of the motor as you’re looking
At it then cut the pipe itself.

Under certain loads or under certain vacuumed,
The car makes a shitty rattling sound. I took it to nissan
and they said they put the blank on the wrong
Side and shouldn’t have cut the pipe and that I’d have
to replace the EGR cooling pipe.

Does this sound right? I thought if the blank
Had been put on the wrong side, couldn’t I
just put another blank on the other side to get
the result as originally intended, or, regardless
of the blank, do I still have to run a complete
EGR cooling pipe?
Any and all help would be appreciated.
Mitchell

if egr pipe was cut they would need two blanking plates, otherwise you loose either boost or exhaust. with only one blank it will have no power and either a ton of exhaust noise or a whole lot of hissing.

unless its the pipe rattling, i doubt very much the egr has anything to do with it.
most likely they are brain dead mechs who simply revert everything back to factory before even looking for the actual cause of the problem.

i would check if the pipe is cut or just broken, especially if its at a weld aera. egr pipes are known to break. that may be why they fitted the blanks.

Yes broken egr pipe will rattle.
Simplest fix is to remove and blank both sides off.

Have a look around the exhaust, some spots around the firewall and also the chassis rail under the passenger footwell are areas that can contact and rattle.
Also loose bash plates can rattle too.

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk

Under certain loads or under certain vacuumed,
The car makes a shitty rattling sound.
i don't think thats a pipe rattling around. if its a pipe it would all the time and especially when you hit bumps.
under load, i assume probably low rpm high throttle, sounds more like injection issues or timing issues.
that could be as simple as blocked up fuel filter reducing injection pressure.

If it's the manual, grab some packing foam (the hard flat plasticky type that looks like a laminated sponge) and pop your bonnet.

The 2006-2009 Spanish D40s sometimes had clutch hydraulic lines that would rattle against the firewall under certain load conditions. These metal pipes run down the firewall - push the foam underneath and drive the car. If the problem goes away, leave the foam there. Nissan was doing something with the lines (can't remember if they replaced them or repacked them) but yours is well and truly past its warranty expiry now.

Edited to add:

The EGR is not going to be an issue. If both sides are blanked off, there's no EGR at all, end of story. However, what COULD be perceived as a rattle is the EGR blanking plate coming loose and letting puffs of exhaust out. That, or the gasket between the turbocharger and the exhaust manifold. Mine was making sounds like a kid on a clarinet at one point.

Last edited:
Thanks Guys.
1. it's an automatic.
2. it's Thai Build.
3. EGR pipe has definately been cut about 2 inches from the mount on the right side as you look at the engine.
4. It definately not a rattle from a body part given I can control the rattle with either acceleration or deceleration.

Old. Tony.

I think you may have it. That's how it sounds. I just didn't think of it in those terms. I'll check it out.

Thanks

Egr blanking

Hi,
Most blanks state that they are for the exhaust side. In fact I haven’t seen one for the other side. Is there a difference? AND.....there are two pipes coming out of the egr cooling tube at the front of the motor. What are they for and will blanking the egr at both end effect those pipes? Thanks

Also, I have read that ‘some’ engines require an 8 to 10mm relief hole to be drilled in the blank to stop the ecu throwing a code. Is that true? And how do I know if my engine is one of those.
Assuming I do need to drill a hole, doesn’t that defeat the point of blanking in the first place?
Sorry for all the questions but I want to get it right.

there are quite a few different makes of deisel powered cars that do require the egr blanking plate to have a small hole drilled . all you can do is try a non drilled plate and if no good try a hole drilled plate. these blanking plates are very cheap to buy so buy both types and test.

Assuming I do need to drill a hole, doesn’t that defeat the point of blanking in the first place?
Sorry for all the questions but I want to get it right.
no, in fact it can be better.
first thing you want to do is reduce egr. that reduces the amount of soot the engine makes by a lot.
there is some good reasons fr egr, eg warming up engine, the extra inlet heat helps combustion.
so a little bit of egr can be useful.

the catch with the small hole blanking plate is you want it to be fitted where the egr valve is. if you place it elsewhere you run the risk of the egr pipes becoming storage tanks of egr and engine ends up getting globs of egr down its throat.

Egr blank

When installing the blank, do you need a gasket either side of the blank or only one side. OR can you use gasket glue.

If the gasket is in perfect nick you can re use it but apply some of the silicon to both sides just to be sure. if the gasket is no good you can use the silicon in place of the gasket.

It works most ways. Simplest: add the gasket cement to both sides of the blanking plate and slip that back in. The EGR pipe itself will be sitting in approximately the right position (not that it matters, it's a little flexible). You can use the gasket as well so that you don't lose it, if you want. It really doesn't matter.

Egr blank

Hi,
A mate of a mate told me he’s done this mod before so I let him do it.
When I got it back, the gasket stuff he used wasn’t blue.
I asked him what he used and he said,
Permatex No 2 non hardening gasket maker.
I know you guys said to use the blue stuff which is what I told him.
Will the stuff he used do the job or has he stuffed it for me?
Thanks.

I didn't use any sealant at all on mine. Has never leaked in the roughly 7 years it's been on there.

What he has used will be OK. There are no sensors downstream of the egr system anyway and with no flow through there it won't affect anything. Personally, the exhaust temps at the manifold and egr system is why I didn't bother using any sealant. I couldn't find one that reckons it was rated high enough for the temperatures the gas gets up to there.

Latest posts

Back