she went bang bang and stopped

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Connaught

Reaction score
i suspect terminal, which as annoying as it is, cause the timing sucks, but not unexpected at 365k

got code p3600 and am curious what that may mean, can only find it references powertrain, ..... duhhhh

no metal in the oil yet, need to take oil pan off, but if it was serious i would have expected something in the oil, it could be bottom end ooooorrrr the single mass flywheel came off, still investigating

The Nissan workshop manual for your vehicle doesn't list P3600 so it's going to keep us guessing.

There could be a number of things that could make the engine stop suddenly.

1) Timing chain snaps, valves may be driven into piston crowns and bent into head, conrods may also be bent and main bearings could be deformed. A total rebuild may be required. It's the most common failure.

2) Conrod snaps/big end bearing fails/gudgeon pin snaps. Not common. Depends what damage is done, it may be limited to a single cylinder and may not have damged the valves which would require a head reconditioning at the least.

3) Fuel pump/harmonic balancer failure. Not common. These are connected to the crankshaft. If it's the fuel pump you could get a 2nd hand one and fit it, rather than going genuine new ($4K).

4) Dropped valve. Not common, but if the collets let go, the valve is free to fall into the cylinder head, the piston rises, hits the valve bending it, so the valve seat and guide are shot, the piston crown may be fractured, the conrod may bend, the main bearings may deform.

If it's a flywheel falling off, the engine won't start (starter motor engages with teeth on the flywheel to turn the engine over) but you should still be able to turn the engine by hand on the lower central pulley. No internal damage to the engine should result from that, but it would pay to have the thrust mechanism in the gearbox checked as well as the main seal on both engine and gearbox.

Good luck, let us know what you find!

Had timing chain done on it about 100k ago so not considering timing chain, engine does turn over sorta, make bad noises from bottom end and wont run, this wont be getting fixed of its the case, will be popping oil pan off tomorrow

80k on single mass flywheel clutch, clutch pedal was doing odd things prior to failure, as in a lot of movement prior to engagement, this is the reason i was thinking clutch/flywheel could be the problem, will need to drop the transmission for this

Well after a holiday and and work and finding time to get into this thing, the crank snapped,.................. at the rear most connrod connection, one side of the crank moves and the other doesnt

Looks like it is terminal,

While it might be tempting to drop another engine into it, I wouldn't.

If the crankshaft shat itself at those KM's, I'd be asking myself what will break next?

Already fixed, bought a second hand triton, 1 year old with15k on it, was more about the 6 days before i left on holiday than anything else, and the price was right����������

Now its just a project, if nothing else to take out the near new injectors and near new single mass flywheel to try and recoup some costs

Bitch is i did the front end on it 15000 k ago, new front hubs, rack ends, ball joints, shocks, the whole shitteree

If it is just a crank maybe use it to show the kid how to fix stuff and keep it as a farm ute, but i am not in a huge rush, need to get engine put and tear it down to see just what i would be looking at from a broken bits perspective

Btw draining the fuel tank you just filled up 80k prior to engine failure takes days, there is no drain plug in the tank...... and i am not keen to start punching holes in it just yet

Last edited:
Congrats on your new (to you) Triton! :beer:

Good luck with the D40. I hope you can recoup at least some of your outlay.

The MQ Tritons do seem like a major step up from the previous model MN. Have fun with it! :smile:

Thanks, kev

Yeah it towed trailer to coral bay and back without missing a beat, and way better economy than the d40, i find it drives like my d40 did as well which i like, didnt like the way the d23 felt and sounded, and that was the only reason i didnt get one, amarok was waaayy too much and didnt even get into a bt50, opened the drivers door and said 'nah'

Got the engine almost out of the d40, just gotta get the exhaust off and binnet then lift it out

Took the upper timing chain cover off and it looks like its intact, which i am kinda glad about, the d40 may ride again hahaha

Congrats on your new (to you) Triton! :beer:

Good luck with the D40. I hope you can recoup at least some of your outlay.

The MQ Tritons do seem like a major step up from the previous model MN. Have fun with it! :smile:
The mn tritons are pretty good i think, im driving one for work.
I dont think the mq's are much different, just a few updated features really.

The mn tritons are pretty good i think, im driving one for work.
I dont think the mq's are much different, just a few updated features really.

The MN has the 2.5L engine that has the porous block problem. There's a thread about it on the New Triton forum. Some of those guys have had the engine replaced twice under warranty. Some have had it happen after the warranty expired. Challengers of the same vintage have the same motor & the same issues.

The MQ doesn't have that motor.

The MN has the 2.5L engine that has the porous block problem. There's a thread about it on the New Triton forum. Some of those guys have had the engine replaced twice under warranty. Some have had it happen after the warranty expired. Challengers of the same vintage have the same motor & the same issues.

The MQ doesn't have that motor.
Ok i wasnt aware of that problem.
The one im driving must be one of the last mn's, we got it new around 2015/16 when a few mq's wete already starting to appear.
Im pretty sure this one actually has the 2.4l motor also and not the 2.5.

Yeah have heard good things about the d1d engine,, cant be worse than the yd25 really😁😁😁

Yeah, they sound pretty good, but let's not be too hard on the YD25 common rail that we have here in Aust, there are extremely few problems popping up about them here on the forum. In fact, there are extremely few problems with Navaras as a whole getting mentioned really.

Especially compared to most other 4x4's.

I was actually saying that a bit tongue in cheek, i cant say that my d40 has been anything but a great car, i mean it did the gibb river road with 5 people living out of it for 2 weeks, plus the drive to and from there, not to mention the many trips to coral bay, kalbarri, busselton etc, in fact there arent many places in WA it hasnt been

I still enjoyed driving it, even though i am getting a bit over driving a manual and not having cruise control, but thats an age thing for me, i mean my d40 doesnt even have air bags, or abs

The d40 has 365000 km on, and really other than replaceing the timing chain and a real inconvenient timing for a clutch/dual mass flywheel failure it has been a solid reliable beast, and even though its 12 years old and the paint aint in the best shape its is still in my opinion a decent looking ute, and this is the reason i havent scrapped it yet, yes the plates have been turned in and its in pieces but i still like it,

I am seriously thinking about doing a full makeover on it, i have time, space and the technical skills to do it, just dont tell the wife, she might loose her shit

:top:

That D40 of yours has certainly done some outback KM's! No doubt your new Triton will pick up the baton & run with it.

Don't forget to come back here & post up on it. I don't reckon anyone would object to an ex Nav owner posting up about their next Ute, even if it's not a Nav!

Re your plans for reviving the D40, you sound a lot like me lol! Only my stuff is a lot smaller scale. When my favourite chainsaw is feeling a bit tired or stops, I buy another just like you have with the Ute & I use that, but I can't bear the thought of throwing out a saw that I reckon I can revive. So here I am using a very old saw, with a few much newer saws sitting in my shed lol.

Oh man sorry to read that, i know what you mean - im dealing with a 03 d22 lol what's going to break next...

What about an engine swap, see if you can get a "barra" in it lol Gas on bloke, it would make a great beach rig weeeeee !

Think a barra would too long, would be a nice conversion though!

Lol yeah it would be, that's a radiator support panel fab for sure.... not like you'd need a winch eh ;)

But wouldn't it be , 15" rims big paddles weeeeee lol THE best beach buggy - I'd go a two door and open the roof up on it..roll cage ..... gas on lol

Anyone got and old gear bag and a barra block to look at, I just want to see something lol oh man if you could get it in there and keep the front drive train it would be worth the fab' work.. extending the bonnet would be the challenge, lol not saying getting it to marry the box ain't lol.....
I sooo want to see a gear bag and a block now......seriously, imagine it in the dunes - I won't one lol lengthen/widen the diff and lengthen c.v and control arms and stearing etc oh yeah lol I want one... A LOT of work though, but..........

The other option is gut the interior and modify the firewall to have half the motor in the cab with you :)

Latest posts

Back