YD25 07 Stalling issues.. end of the line

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickalls

Reaction score
Hi All,

First time post here and hoping for some guidance. I have a 2007 D40 STX Auto Diesel Nav with some stalling issues. I've spent hours reading all the forums and following advise to remedy the problem but alas, the Nav is still trying to kill me...

Issue - Stalling on startup, several times before I'm away (When cold). Then stalling pulling up to intersections when revs drop to idle, usually in heavy traffic :-(

After replacing the gear below, I don't see to have an airlock in the fuel line anymore (used to have to prime every morning) but the stalling remains.

What I've tried:

• New genuine fuel filter
  • New fuel filter sensor
  • Replaced all fuel lines
  • Replaced fuel clamps
  • Replaced primer bulb
  • Replaced suction control valve
  • Checked fuel tank breather hose is clear
  • Cleaned intercooler
  • Replaced intercooler sensor air hose
  • Removed and cleaned throttle body
  • Replaced timing chains, tensioners, guides and sprockets
  • Modified EGR blank plate
  • Cleaned MAF sensor
  • Cleaned fuel system - Liqui Moly Diesel Purge
  • Replaced Alternator
  • Completed Throttle learning procedure
  • Completed accelerator pedal depressed learning procedure
  • Reset the ECU

It's still stalling, but when it's running, it's running sweet. This is a new development (Been doing it about 2 months now) Any ideas?

Cheers,
Nick

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

Ok, priming it in the morning now after having replaced all of that - how many squeezes until firm? Should be less than 5.

Assuming the priming is ok, and you've also run a Liqui Moly Diesel Purge through to clean up the injector pump and the injectors, it's not pointing to fuel, so it must be electrical or air.

Electrical is sort-of easy. Put a voltmeter on your battery, idle the car. 14V? Should be, or a little above. Mine idles at 14.5V. It should never go over 15V. Clean the battery terminals (both of them) and look to see if there's an issue with earth between the battery and the engine body. Test: put a jumper cable from the batt negative to, say, the EGR tube which bolts into the EGR valve which bolts into the intake manifold which bolts to the block. Still playing up? Let's look at air.

Have you checked and cleaned the MAFS? If it's choked up on carbon deposits, it will not read the air correctly (and depending on the deposits may read one way or the other). Be gentle with the MAFS, it's in the back of your air pipe between the filter and the turbocharger. Undo the thing and draw it out carefully, you'll see a small hole in the bottom of one side of it. Spray electrical contact cleaner in it.

Forget the turbocharger, it's unlikely to be it, because it's not stalling at high revs or blowing black smoke. The turbo basically doesn't work at idle, so it or any of its typical failure points (BCS, vac hoses, actuator) can be left alone.

EGR valve. These stick from time to time. Is yours blocked? Undo the two bolts that hold the gold EGR pipe to the EGR valve out, taking care to catch the gasket. Use the gasket as a template to cut a gasket minus the large centre hole from either 1mm stainless or mild steel sheet, you could use 3mm aluminium. I used 1mm stainless many years ago, have had zero problems with it and pulled it out recently to check it and it was still perfect. Put your new gasket in with a little Permatex Ultra Blue Sensor Safe Gasket Cement and try again. EGR is exhaust gas and at idle it will kill the engine.

There's a couple of things to try. Hope they help!

Hi nickalls,

Welcome to the forum!

If after trying Tony's suggestions above you still have a problem; I'd recommend checking your master cylinder (there is plenty of info on the net on how to do this, so I won't repeat it here)

If it's faulty, you have most likely found the culprit.

A faulty master cylinder draws excess vacuum from the manifold & can at times cause the issues that you're having.

I hope that you get it sorted! Good luck :)

Thanks Tony / Kevin,

I should have mentioned I've also completed - EGR blank plate modification and MAF sensor removed and cleaned

Priming now seems fine, less than 5 squeezes before firming up and I've just run a full tank of Liqui Moly Diesel Purge through the system, averaged about 600km to a tank, so not too bad.

I'll check the voltage of the battery while charging tonight and let you guys know (alternator has recently been replaced, but was running fine post that)

The master cylinder was not something that I'd have thought of, I'll have a look at the testing procedure tonight and attempt that too.

Currently waiting on a Foxwell NT650 scanner to be delivered to give me a bit more detail.

Thanks again for the guidance. Any other suggestions are welcome :)

not to be too much of a killjoy,

my 07 with 365k on it started stalling occasionally in the morning on first start up, never really looked into it much as it was only mildly annoying,

but then it blew up

not to be too much of a killjoy,

my 07 with 365k on it started stalling occasionally in the morning on first start up, never really looked into it much as it was only mildly annoying,

but then it blew up

hahaha, damn! Fingers crossed that doesn’t happen, was it the timing chain?

Connaught's was a snapped crankshaft, which is pretty unusual. You'd have to be very unlucky to have the same problem :confused3:

How are the earth's, especially on the ecu? It is a free exercise (apart from your time) to remove them and clean the points where they connect to the body. It seems like you have checked and tried just about everything else, so it won't hurt.

Thanks bods

I’ll check that over the weekend. I’ve done a few learning procedures but to no avail. Getting a code p0111 now for the MAF, so have ordered a new one of those too. Will keep you posted,

Cheers,
Nick

Latest posts

Back