2.5 cr engine oil used ?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonney

Reaction score
Hi guys, now that its getting warmer just wondering what engine oil weights you guys are running or going to run in your 2.5 litre navs? i have been using penrite 5w - 40 but thinking now to use 10 w - 40 just abit thicker for the extra heat.

Engine Oil Weight

Good Morning!

My Lady is a 87 model D21, with a SD-25 Diesel, and I changed my oil yesterday,
I fitted "Penrite 20-60 as recommended by Penrite to me for Her age and the
Moderate Speeds we travel at, She idles at twenty PSI and runs with the slower traffic at 46 PSI oil Pressure, and burns no oil at all between Oil Changes!
Hope this might be of assistance to you and others,
Merry Xmas to you all!

Highway Man!:deadhorse2:

I have a 2010 d22 yd25 and get roughly the same as above, according to my recently fitted oil pressure gauge. That is with chief 5w30 oil. I will keep an eye on it as the temperature warms up, but I get the same pressures as above after a 40km freeway run from home to work. I will be doing a 5 hour trip to Paynes find after Christmas, so will have an idea of how it goes out on the highway in some decent heat and will post results after that.

The YD25 runs an oil cooler which uses the engine coolant to keep the oil at around 86 degrees. If your cooling system is up to scratch then you will have no issues with your oil getting hot no matter the temperature or climate

the water cooling may keep the engine oil abit cooler but a good oil cooler is the ticket for cooler engine oil. i still feel the need to use a slightly thicker engine oil in the hot summer months as opposed to the colder winter months etc. thinner for winter thicker for summer. what do you reacon ?

I run a remote oil cooler on my engine and the oil temp doesn't move above 170F. Yeah the thinner oil might be better in winter for cold starts. You need to remember that modern fully synthetic motor oil is a hell of a lot better than the old mineral oil available 30 years ago. You can get away with longer service intervals and it maintains correct viscosity over a larger range of engine temps. I personally run 5W - 40 but any 5W - 30 or 10W - 30 or even 10W - 40 will be fine in a YD25

Hi guys, now that its getting warmer just wondering what engine oil weights you guys are running or going to run in your 2.5 litre navs? i have been using penrite 5w - 40 but thinking now to use 10 w - 40 just abit thicker for the extra heat.

Just use whatever the book specifies. Prolly better to stick to what youv'e been using.

yeh john i do change my oil and filter every 5k but was thinking should i change to a slightly thicker oil for thie hot summer approaching. as mentioned currently running 5w -40 semi synthetic penrite so maybe try 10w -40.

the water cooling may keep the engine oil abit cooler but a good oil cooler is the ticket for cooler engine oil. i still feel the need to use a slightly thicker engine oil in the hot summer months as opposed to the colder winter months etc. thinner for winter thicker for summer. what do you reacon ?

All sounds like a bit of a wank , just use what the book recommends, it's a little diesel engine not a friggin v8 supercar!

Last edited:
the manual does not really say; use 5 w-40 or 10w -30, it mentions a variety of oil weights for the climate i live in , so lets say max 40 degrees and mininum 5 degrees, whats the oil recommended for these temps ???

the manual does not really say; use 5 w-40 or 10w -30, it mentions a variety of oil weights for the climate i live in , so lets say max 40 degrees and mininum 5 degrees, whats the oil recommended for these temps ???

I would be using 10w 40 all year round if it was my engine, you live in QLD mate it don't get to cold or for that matter to hot either , not if your on the coast.

So not sure if this is the place to bang a question about the before mentioned oil cooler, but here goes.
Travelling back to the farm over Christmas, got back and notice oil residue down the side of my ute. Pop the bonnet and everything is coated in oil.
Now, no movement on the temp gauge, no warning lights, nothing. I look to the coolant bottle and its full of engine oil. Pop the radiator cap (once cooled) and she's full of oil.
Currently sitting at the Nissan sick bay with them fighting the people I got extended warranty through.
My question is people, anyone had this issue with the yd25 d22 and would there be any internal damage as a result of this?
My Nav is a 2013 and serviced as per factory requirements.
Any help is appreciated

Sounds like you have done a head and oil has got into the coolant or the oil cooler is leaking oil into the coolant?

Yeah my initial thought was the head also however speaking to different people they are suggesting a leak from the oil cooler. I'll keep you updated. The mechanic at Nissan reckons they have never seen an oil cooler fail on a d22

sounds like a cylinder head or cylinder gasket issue, the excess oil in radiator is blowing out of the overflow line , this is why its all over the place. oil in water only comes from certain problems such as mentioned or a cracked block.
lets hope its neither . good luck.

So got word today that the oil cooler was cactus which sent oil into the radiator. The bill comes to a smudge over 4K, which includes a new radiator, oil cooler, thermostat, cooling lines/hoses and labour. Let's bloody hope the extended warranty people come to the party!
Should I ask them to check the head whilst it's there?
Off to qld in March and I'd hate to have this happen again on Fraser.

well thats good news even though its a shame this happened. the price sounds abit steep just to supply /remove and replace those items, then again thats genuine spare parts for you. wouldn,t hurt to ask them to give the engine a compression test while they have your car seeing its a warranty claim.

Latest posts

Back