STX-550 V6 diesel engine owners

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hallmont

Reaction score
Are you aware that the 3.0 litre V6 motor has a unprotected oil cooler attached to the sump which is very vulnerable. I know because we punctured ours by clipping a rock which dropped the oil! To add to the problem Nissan do not have a replacement part in Aus. with the waiting time from Japan estimated to be 3-4 weeks. Nissan also do not make a sump guard or bash plate yet to suit this model. This is unacceptable as it is sold as a 4WD.

First of all welcome to the forum, oh and thanks for letting all of us know a little about you and your vehicle.

As for damage under the the car from going off road it is not uncommon at all for any 4x4, especially with modern 4x4's, it is for that exact reason that i had Nissan take my car before delivery to ARB to install BASH PLATES.
That is why so many companies make BASH PLATES as most if not ALL 4x4's need UNDER BODY PROTECTION.

most 4x4's usually have some kind of sump protection as standard. usually flimsy as but its ok for light stuff. however some manafactures have had models where the designers went to sleep and things are fitted as an after thought. i recall one make where the radiator is very low and the bracket is very weak. very easy to bump which shoves it straight into the fan.

in the oil cooler is in a bad spot, protect it or move it.

Are you aware that the 3.0 litre V6 motor has a unprotected oil cooler attached to the sump which is very vulnerable. I know because we punctured ours by clipping a rock which dropped the oil! To add to the problem Nissan do not have a replacement part in Aus. with the waiting time from Japan estimated to be 3-4 weeks. Nissan also do not make a sump guard or bash plate yet to suit this model. This is unacceptable as it is sold as a 4WD.

Had tjm make mine $780 from the radiator to back of gearbox

550 fuel economy

550 owners, how your fuel economy. Mine is poor get around 13 to 14 per 100ks running around. I live in the country so they are not stop start trips. Towing a 23ft van I get 20 to 28 ltrs per 100ks. I had a 3 ltr Patrol got between 12 to 14 ltrs per 100ks towing and between 8 & 10 running around. Went to a 2.5 Navara and dumped it because of shocking economy and now stuck with the 550. The dealer said they recalibrated the fuel pump (think that may be a furphy) made no difference. Put on a 3" exhust and tried a chip not much improvement.

I average 10.2/100 driving long distance and 11/100 around town. But I am young and have a lead foot haha :p

The only major issue Iv had with my 550 is that intercooler pipe bursting,, but I will be getting hard piping kits made up in the near future.

My 550 is now done 35000 18 months old and the economy has gradually crept up. Now sits on 13.5 around town and up to 17 towing 2 tonne boat around town. my ute is always fully loaded with work gear and my right foot is rather heavy. when first got ute fuel used to be around 11/100 but since a dodgy bacth of preminuim diesel that saw the rate rise to 22 / 100 town driving I haven't seen the figures drop back to below 13/100.

hit a roo in mine. now been waiting nearly 3 months for the parts, its so annoying that nothing is available for them.

My 550 is straight out of the box, just did a trip from Brisbane to Gladstone and back 9.2/100km, very happy with that,

I'm getting 8.8 liters per 100klms when cruise control is set on 104kph, when I fuel up the distance to empty says 780klms to empty, if I get into it and drive around 110kph the average fuel jumps up to around 9.3 to 10.3, all depends on how many cars I over take up steep hills and how hard I take off out of intersections. I have just over 25000 klms on it and a factory snorkel fitted and ironman bash plates so it's stock as. Great fuel eccommy considering it's a diesel v6 and has fuel averages like a diesel 4 cylinder.

My 550 is 11 months old, runs 14L/100 around town but that is weighing in at 3.5T
and 13.2L/100 highway. Dont worry about the sump, first thing is protect the 5 cooler behind the front grill. My wife rear ended a car around town and managed to take out all coolers.. Just got the truck back (2.5 months in repairs). ! week after the accident ARB rang me and said my bullbar was in (DAMN!!)

Latest posts

Back