D22 3.3L Exhaust Upgrade

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys, considering upgrading the exhaust on my 03 D22 3.3L Nav (VG33E Engine)... The muff is rusted and will need replacing in the near future so am umming and ahhing about whether to just change that or do the whole system...

As this isn't the most common model around, the lion share of you seem to have TD's, I can't seem to find much info on it... Firstly has anyone with the same model upgraded their system, and if so some feedback would be great... Secondly, does anyone have a rough idea on cost...?

I realise it depends on exactly what I want done, and that it could be a reasonably cheap fix if I just replace the muff which can be done anywhere, but as I've just lifted and put new rubber on am thinking the exhaust will give me a little extra kick as I've lost some power (as I was expecting to)...

Cheers guys!! :)

Id consider asking the exhaust place to cut out the muffler and replace it with a straight pipe. that will be the cheapest option. although if its a single muffler system then it might be a bit loud.

The exhaust kits aren't to cheap these days, if you have a local exhaust shop you like consider asking them to do a 2.5inch system, extractors back and see what the cost will be?

I have a QD d22 and im about to put a td27 turbo on it and ive allready commited to the realisation that I will be installing a custom exhaust system.
I order a ZD30 model 2.5inch dump pipe as it has the right flange and basic shape, so hopefully it fits without hitting anything and then ill make something for the rest of the system

Plastic Jeezus

May be worth asking Raywise as he has the 3.3l and was doing an exhaust. Unsure on who done it or whether its done but it could be a start. I think he was going custom extractors into 2.5" pipe with a muffler ij ther somewhere also a cat for legalities

I did check with Beaudesert Exhausts and they said it will be a bugger of a job, mainly if the headers are being replaced. They said that in itself takes around a day. I was quoted around $1500.00 for a full system including Wildcat headers to suit the VG33E. One other exhaust place at Browns Plains didn't want to know about it, lol.

I'll still be getting the Beauy exhaust done, just need the moneeeeeeeeeee!.
But if you can, its best to get the cast iron headers replaced, they are notoriously restrictive on the VG33E, plus they actually develop pin holes right through the metal. as my mechanic has already pointed out to me.
:cheers!:

I have the 3.3L and had the exhaust replaced from the headers back with a 2.5 inch set up. I don't know any numbers for power increase but it was definitely worth it to help turn the 33's.

From memory it was about 1500$$ from a place in Liverpool.

I have the 3.3L and had the exhaust replaced from the headers back with a 2.5 inch set up. I don't know any numbers for power increase but it was definitely worth it to help turn the 33's.

From memory it was about 1500$$ from a place in Liverpool.

Okie dokie so about $1500 for the full job... More big bucks to spend... :/ Haha might have to hang on for a while then as I'd rather do it once properly than do just the muff now and the rest later...

Like you Turps I love the 3.3L V6 talk!!

Out of interest, have either or both of you kept an eye of how many kms you get out of a tank...? Seen heaps of feedback for fuel economy on the TD's but nothing on the 3.3 V6... Before I had my suspension and tyres done I was getting 450kms/tank on average not carrying a load, but now I'm only getting 400kms/tank! I expected it to change but wasn't thinking it would be so drastic!

That's about what my mate got in his around 400 that motor whilst being damm reliable drinks like an alcoholic my 2.5cr gets around 430kms to half a tank if i am kind to it perhaps a good exhaust will get it going better and drink less it sure does in the t/d.

400ks is about right. For me that's carrying all my bar work and the 33's
Thirsty but reliable engine. I have had it for 6 years and have only put 70000 on it. Very rare for me to use it as the daily driver

But I love it when people are talking about the V6

I'll say, it doesn't happen often, lol.

Oh and yeah, around 450kms to the tank. Thats the reason I stuck with standard size tyres, didn't want to get even LESS mileage out of this gas guzzler. I had 275/70/16 Pirellis on before these Bridgestones, and I was lucky to get 400km per tank, seriously.

I love the V6. Its a little harder to control in slow tight work up hills etc compared to the diesels, but it tows our caravan with ease, should be even better once the exhaust gets done, :)

Last edited:
Glad to hear I'm hitting the average km's/tank... Was worried I might have to start driving like a granny!! Hopefully the exhaust upgrade will help, when I eventually get round to it... Cheers again for the responses guys... :)

Hurricane do i set of 3 into 1 extractors for the navara and pathy vg33e. Maybe worth getting a set and having a local exhaust mob complete the system?

Latest posts

Back