possible crank angle sensor?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey tweak'e,
So if I disconnect the nps it should stop it if thats the problem yeh? The glowplugs I replaced about 6mths ago so wouldnt think they are shot already, the primer pump is always soft even while it is running,

Disconnect it, or hold the shift lever to the side and see if the problem's gone (often happens). Don't know why the NPS is so temperamental, but it's a common cause of complaint.

Hey all, tried it this morning and bingo it picked up as soon as I push the gear stick left. Thanks all for the help this forum is a great one with lots of information

You don't have to replace the neutral position switch , it does sweet f.a. Just get under the car and unplug it.

hey guys,
Today i started my bus and in first gear just as i went to put in to second a wired whinging noise or whistling noise like as though a rat was under me bonnet happened, not sure where it actually came from sounded like maybe round gearbox area but cant be sure.
Any thoughts as to where i should be looking?
no oil round the gear box,

Could be a number of things. A fan belt could have let go. A blade could have cracked on the cooling fan and be rubbing the radiator or its shroud. The pressure plate might have a problem with its bearing, there could be a bearing issue in the input shaft, second gear synchro could have some damage, could be a boost leak, turbocharger failure, EGR tube cracked ... there's quite a lengthy list right there and there are more possibilities.

You'd have to describe when the noise was made (as close to exact as you can). Was it only as the clutch was depressed, was it only as the RPM climbed past 1400, was it only as the clutch was released?

Could be a number of things. A fan belt could have let go. A blade could have cracked on the cooling fan and be rubbing the radiator or its shroud. The pressure plate might have a problem with its bearing, there could be a bearing issue in the input shaft, second gear synchro could have some damage, could be a boost leak, turbocharger failure, EGR tube cracked ... there's quite a lengthy list right there and there are more possibilities.

You'd have to describe when the noise was made (as close to exact as you can). Was it only as the clutch was depressed, was it only as the RPM climbed past 1400, was it only as the clutch was released?

Old tony, the clutch wasnt touched at the time the noise happened and yeh it would of be up round the 1400rpm mark, it did in 1,2 gear this afternoon when i let it sit for 30-45 mins, the wierd part about it is that the bus seemed to have more power and no lag on take off in 1st i think its a mechanic area to sort out, i rang the mechanic and he said that a common fault is the noise might be coming from the turbo as the valve either stick open or shut, only a 6mth old turbo

If you're not on the clutch at all you can pretty much rule that part out then. I'd definitely be looking at turbo-related. It may just be a boost leak - you won't notice a huge performance loss, but the air escapes and squeals - you might find a small amount of oil around the turbo hosing revealing the leak, if not you can try the soapy water spray bottle trick. Have had some D22 top mount intercoolers break their seams and squeal from boost leaks too.

well had a look round the turbo and the hoses, the only hose that has a little oil round it is the one that is between the turbo and the exhaust at the bottom looks like it goes back into the side of the block but couldnt rally see was i was under the wheel arch. all the other hoses look ok

If that's your PCV hose I doubt that it will be the cause of any squealing. I guess it's time to try the soapy water on the hoses from the turbocharger through to the intake manifold (include the intercooler).

Does the squeal rise and fall precisely at the same time as engine RPM or does it lag a little behind?

If that's your PCV hose I doubt that it will be the cause of any squealing. I guess it's time to try the soapy water on the hoses from the turbocharger through to the intake manifold (include the intercooler).

Does the squeal rise and fall precisely at the same time as engine RPM or does it lag a little behind?

did the soapy this afternoon and found that around the exhaust round the front of the engine has a leak as it was pumping out bubbles, the hose is a steel hose the one between the turbo and compressor at the bottom of that bit in between.

none of the air hoses look like they are leaking or any of the other hoses or gasket areas. so off to the mechanics next week hopefully to get a computer on it to see if there are any other underlying problems with it

The leak is in the exhaust manifold,
The pipe I was talking about was one I was trying to explain to old tony as i aint sure wat its called lol.
I have a basic mechanical knowledge, if told what to do or shown can do it but the problem solving aint my area and part names apart from the common ones

If the pipe is a gold one that runs from the exhaust manifold around to the other side of the motor, that's the EGR pipe and it has let go on a few cars. If yours is not a 2012 or later, you should be able to just blank off the EGR at the exhaust manifold and not worry about it again. A 4mm+ piece of steel will work well. Just make an exact copy of the gasket and accidentally forget the big hole in the middle = perfect blanking plate.

oh now i get you. i guess by that description you mean the oil drain from the turbo...

how old is the car? i wouldn't expect to see any oil there, but there may be a bit of seepage if it is a little bit loose.

and yes, if the exhaust manifold gasket has let go it will make a whistling sound under boost. if it's under warranty they will replace it, if not i don't know what the labour cost would be for that, but it won't be cheap..

as far as identifying the parts on the turbo, the front (where the intake hose goes in and the charge hose goes out) is the compressor, the rear part (where the exhaust goes out) is the turbine and the centre part (where those hoses you were talking about go) is the centre cartridge (sometimes called a CHRA). that has oil for the bearings and some of them have a coolant passage too, to help cool the bearings (the oil only ones have a bit of cooling, but not as much as the ones with the coolant lines also). that's the part that becomes "coked" when you shut the motor down while the oil is still too hot and the turbo is spinning at high speed. the oil in there cooks into the bearings and eventually they seize and sometimes throw blades off either the turbine or compressor wheels and into the motor, which is one benefit of an intercooler, catching the broken bits before they hit valves or pistons.

Last edited:
Yeh after I posted the last message I looked it up and yeh tge oil drain back hose, its a 2004 str zd30, it had a new turbo put on it 6mths ago so unless the mechanic didnt tighten it up enuogh, I got to service it and have a closer look at the exhaust on the weekend so will look at the drain back pipe too.
So what doea blanking the egr do, and if I do that dont I need boost gauges and all that as I have read before,
That catch can mod, where can I get them from and how easy are they to install diy.
Thanks guys you are really helping me out here, im glad I found this forum

Latest posts

Back