Zd30 navara turbo problem

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Critter

Reaction score
Hi fellas just new here, but found heaps of useful info for my Nav.
Took my 2006 Nav in for service first one since I bought it, mentioned to the mech it didn't seem to have much grunt when in low gear, I know not to expect much it's only a 3 litre just thought it was something to take a look at.
He did the service and told me he's pretty sure the turbos rs as there's no power when it comes in. He quoted me $2,500 to replace it, is there a way of telling if it's working as I don't think "pretty sure it's rs" is good enough to replace it at that price.
I can hear it spooling (I think that's the term) and it's not noisy, and some one suggested I fit a boost gauge which I've just done, it hits a peak of 14 does this mean the turbo is working?
Any ideas or help would be great thanks.

They can be a bit gutless in stock form, especially down low and after gear changes - Egr block and some other stuff helps this - have a look on here for the butterfly swirl mod too. A chip (and zorst) will absolutely transform it and completely get rid of the torque/spool hole.
Assuming there isnt something wrong with it of course - but it doesn't sound like its the turbo - if you're worried about it you can whip the front snout off for visual inspection of the compressor blades and check for excessive play.
I ****ing hate mechanics - its really hard finding a good one. I'd be getting a second opinion after old mate's pisshead diagnosis. If you find a good one let us know cos I'll use him too - I'm Franga too (or near enough to it)

And welcome aboard btw. 2006 zd30 is probably the last of the decent utes Nissan ever made.

Last edited:
Thanks heaps rabbid chop I've already ordered a blank off for the erg due to reading up on here,
I'll check out the butterfly mod and chip too. Want to fit the pre filter bypass too, these forums are a wealth of info!
The exact reason I went for it was it was the last of the zd30 after doing some research.
I'll check out the compressor blades too, and let you know if I ever do find that elusive good mechanic, lol probably be like finding gold in my backyard I suspect.

14psi and no stupid noises means its good.
Hey guys my 05 d22 zd30 turbo whines in all gears when u say stupid noises, i take it that this is not good first diesel ute so not a lot of experience. All help greatly appreciated .

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

when the turbo gets on in life the bearings wear out and cause these whine noises plus the impellor can break apart causing serious engine damage.
if you suspect the turbo is making funny sounds it is advisable to have it inspected asap before its too late. i know the main issue these days is trying to find a good honest mechanic that also knows what he is doing , so i would say to get a couple of opinions from different mechanics and if the verdict comes to the replacement of the turbo due to bad bearings etc etc then go out and buy a turbo yourself [ ForeFront Industries ] have good turbos i have been told and get it fitted at a decent quoted price. its not a big job to replace a turbo on the navaras so don,t let any mechanic con you in saying its going to take a day plus this and that and it will cost about $1000 to fit it , this job should be done within 3 hours maximum remove and replace.if you have mates or you can do this replacement work yourself all the better to save some bucks.
stay away from some of the turbos off ebay as there cheap rubbish and not worth the risk using one.

Were are you measuring the boost from? Could be an air leak between there and the engine. Look for oily spots around fittings or the intercooler core.

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back