ZD30 Fault codes and electrical gremlins - survival guide.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunkyone

Reaction score
When we take a vehicle with electrical code errors to a dealer or mechanic, Most diagnostic technicians will do as trained when given codes and test/replace parts till fault codes clear, which in this case; Crank Angle Sensor/Injection Pump/ECU. If this doesn't clear the faults it leaves the owner with a hefty bill and both owner and mechanic are frustrated that the job isnt complete.

This a guide that will hopefully remedy electrical issues with code 0407 Crank angle sensor, code 0702 TDC injector pump pulse sensor and 0301 internal ECU fault.

please note this is for the early ZD30 direct injection motor NOT CRD (2.5/3.0)

My theory is that electrical gremlins can throw the ecu into a "default fault" most commonly in 3 instances i have come across the starter motor can arc causing a spike in power into the ecu which throws 0702, 0407, 0301 as default codes

If the ECU is unable to clock it will read the timing of input from sensors incorrectly which "does not compute" and ecu goes into a safety mode.

Getting fault codes and clearing

#1 with key in ON position use a wire between pins 1 and 8 on diag port. located left of the bonnet release under panel. 1 and 8 are the only pins in the corners of the closest row.

hold for 2 seconds then disconnect one end and the check engine light will flash to give you codes.

first set of flashes followed by pause, then more rapid flashing and a pause. this process repeats for each code and will repeat the faults continuously

I suggest recording a video of the flashing and playback afterwards

Fault codes;

0102 Air Flow Sensor
0103 Coolant temp sender
0104 Vehicle speed sensor
0203 Throttle pedal switch
0208 Cooling Fan control
0301 Engine ECU
0402 Fuel temperature sensor
0403 Throttle pedal position sensor
0406* Intake air volume VNC system
0407 Crankshaft position sensor
0502* Battery voltage
0504 Auto Trans communication line
0701 Injection Pump –cam ring position sensor
0702 Injection Pump –TDC pulse sensor
0703 Injection Pump communication line
0704 Injection Pump –spill valve
0705 Injection Pump –ECU
0706 Injection Pump –spill valve
0707 Injection Pump injection timing control
0802 Engine ECU
0804* Engine ECU
0807 Stop lamp switch
0901 Engine ECU
0902 Engine ECU relay
0903* Engine ECU
0905 Intake air pressure sensor
1003 EGR volume control valve
1004 Injection Pump –fuel cut out system

* These codes do not illuminate the Check Engine warning lamp.

#2 To Reset; whilst Check engine light is flashing codes reconnect wire to pin 1 and 8 for 2 or more seconds and the codes will clear

I cleared 0702 fault by replacing the fuel filter and checking system for leaks and water. but had to clear 0407, and 0301 manually as described above.

I will be replacing my starter motor, battery and alternator as they appear to be nearing the end of life, most importantly though don't jump on the CAS, IP replacement bandwagon and waste time and money until you have tried this method.

Regards

Gareth.

Tags

D22 ZD30 Clear fault codes
D22 ZD30 Clear 0702 fault codes
D22 ZD30 Clear 0407 fault codes
D22 ZD30 Clear 0301 fault codes
D22 ZD30 Check engine light

When you look under the dash the row closest to the plastic interior panel. There are two rows of pins, you want the row closest Facing towards driver seat and it’s the pins either side of that row.

Is there a scan tool that will work on the earlier zd30 mine won't store a code every time I turn it off they clear. TIA

Spending the kid's inheritance

Check out the ecutalk website, they have some with USB cable. Also look at the Nissan data scan website, NDS1 for android, supported adaptors link.
Stahlcar nz look to have them again
http://www.stahlcar.nz/diagnostic-tools/obd1-tools/obd1-pc/nissan-bluetooth
http://www.ecutalk.com.au/interface.aspx

I need to replace mine after I removed the turbo and shorted onto the alternator. I now highly recommend removing the plug before dicking around under the bonnet . I think I will get the USB cable one from ecutalk this time as my android head unit will not pick up the Bluetooth, but it has 2 usb ports. I may invest in a dual boot tablet too so I can use the ecutalk program on windows.
Good luck mate

Last edited:
I just did shorted the pins out and recorded the flashes does the flash codes just keep repeating over and over or will the codes stop flashing after a while ?

Latest posts

Back