Exhaust rules and regulations

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShortyNavros

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am in QLD, need to buy a new exhaust as mine is about to rust through.

I am trying to determine what is legal and what is not, so far I can find nothing restricting size even though some people say it is illegal to increase exhaust size?

I know you have to keep a catalytic computer as stated 'Where alternative exhaust systems are fitted, the system must incorporate any engine emission
control equipment, meeting the same standard, as that fitted in the exhaust system of the vehicle.'

I dont want to run a rear muffler but I want to get a 3 inch system with a 200cel catalytic converter. I have an exhaust shop telling me it is illegal to remove the muffler from the system, this is news to me, I cut out my stock mufflers ages ago.

Does anyone know what the deal is? I was under the impression as long as the vehicle produced less than the specified dB level of noise it was legal. From what I can gather people using straight through systems with cats dont exceed this level as the turbo mufflers the sound significantly compared to NA engines which are loud as hell without mufflers.

Are my assumptions correct?

Also heard that moving the position of the cat from straight after the dump like some aftermarket systems is illegal, however I can find nothing to back this up.

Cheers,
Shorty

PS I am looking at getting a 3 inch aluminised system from 4x4factory direct on the gold coast for $880 delivered this special ends at the end of march if anyone else wants to get in on it. http://www.factorydirect4x4exhausts.com.au/nissan-navara-d22-3-0l-3-aluminised-exhaust-system/

Yeah by law you must have a catalytic converter and rear muffler. The exhaust shop is rite. Beaudesert for example wont sell you a exhaust without cat or muffler. But will supply the muffler delete pipe if you want. With cat and muffler it wont be much louder then the stock system. But will have more turbo whistle. If you want a tuff diesel sound. Dont fit a muffler

I cannot find anywhere stating that you must fit a muffler, where are people getting this info from? Keeping a catalytic converter is clearly stated however

I cannot find anywhere stating that you must fit a muffler, where are people getting this info from? Keeping a catalytic converter is clearly stated however
You have already posted the answer to your question.

'Where alternative exhaust systems are fitted, the system must incorporate any engine emission control equipment, meeting the same standard, as that fitted in the exhaust system of the vehicle.'

A rear muffler is part of the engine emission control equipment. Your argument on making more or less noise is arbitrary.

Now this is a hard thread to give a correct answer. You cannot exceed 98db with a delete pipe legally. Mine with the Beau roars as well as the induction noise. I will check and the portal and report back.
hj

You have already posted the answer to your question.

'Where alternative exhaust systems are fitted, the system must incorporate any engine emission control equipment, meeting the same standard, as that fitted in the exhaust system of the vehicle.'

A rear muffler is part of the engine emission control equipment. Your argument on making more or less noise is arbitrary.

How does a muffler control engine emissions?it only muffles noise.

Now this is a hard thread to give a correct answer. You cannot exceed 98db with a delete pipe legally. Mine with the Beau roars as well as the induction noise. I will check and the portal and report back.
hj

Yep sorry my idea like Spalding was that engine emission equipment refered to things like cats and dpfs. Technically and exhaust pipe does muffler noise. Just a lot less than an actual muffler haha

While noise technically is an emission, as mentioned previously, the noise limit for a diesel light commercial vehicle is 98db. From memory the noise test is done at half the redline rpm. As long as you are under this you shouldn't have anything to worry about. ...

To be a legal exhaust system or must have a catalytic converter and at least one muffling device
If auto a dpf needs to be fitted as well.

If your after a good system ring DEA exhaust in Melbourne. Got myself a 3" system for $550 delivered. Very well built and they will cater for what ever combination you want.

I chose cat no muffler

Dont know why they are so cheap for a d40. They dont make them for d22's. They just sell redback exhausts for them. And are over $1000

Yeah JaseD22 is correct I already looked them up after seeing someone else post about how cheap they were. The aluminised 3 inch system from 4x4factory direct looks like my best bet

Ok... Next step is ring Oex in orange for my old man's redback system for his 4.2 patrol for 650

Did you talk to DEA?

DEA are a joke.
their gear is not bad but they are some dodgy motherfkrs.

They've moved now.. probably evading people.
My mate got his exhaust done by them.
It's auto so now he's got smoke issues... but DEA who fitted it and probably hocked off his DPF to a wrecker... are now giving him the run around.
They are dirtier and smellier then my undies when i don't shower for a week!

Yeah they suggested it and now that my mate has smoke issues they don't want to help him. So I told him to ask for his dpf to be put back in and they're making him wait since they obviously hocked it off right away.

Latest posts

Back