NSW-experiences with getting trailer re-registered.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terryc

Reaction score
For various reasons, I spent this month last year in hospital, smack bang when the camper trailer rego neded to be renewed. There wasn't anyone "in the family" capable of hitching it up and taking it to the couple of places it needed to go(tyre, then rego check).

Consequently, it has been out of rego for a year. Speaking to counter staff at RTA/RMS sna guff was need bluse slip(get it weighed), then normal rego inspection.

Problem is, that means stripping it as much as possible(lot of work; contents, boat rack, tyre carrierl box and canvas), then following the recipe.

I'm curious if anyone has found a work around. e.g is there any way I can get the old, original weight accepted, so I don't have to completely strip it?

The weight really isn't a problem as I'm eleigible for free pensioner rego, phew, so it isn't going to affect the pocket book.

I expect that when I do take it out of the yard, that Plod will pull us over now they havce this new rego plate checking built in. Not a problem as so long as it is direct from home to weighbrige, then to tyre/rego place, it should be covered.

If it were my luck, the weighbridge certificate would need to be date-stamped to reflect a more current reading - red tape just seems to find me! I know that sounds ridiculous in a sense - how on earth can a trailer put on weight as it gets older (that's a human thing!). You ought to be fine moving the trailer to those services as it complies with the requirements RMS have for registering an unregistered vehicle.

You should have a chat with the person who's going to give you the blue slip as to their requirements. They may even take the old weight. RMS only want your identification, the blue slip and any insurance details and they issue you with the registration. If your tyres are still serviceable you may get away with them as is (talk to the blue slip guy) otherwise you might consider removing the wheels and taking them without the trailer to get new tyres (I did that for my van, took all 5 wheels in the back of my ute to Bob Jane and had new tyres fitted while the van rested on jack stands).

I wonder if there's someone in your area that might help lifting the tyres into your ute? I'm about 4 hours drive away from you (we moved further north) so it'd be a full day task for me, but surely there's someone else on the south side of Sydney that could give you a hand lifting them?

Latest posts

Back