How many K's on your 550 V9X & any problems you may have had

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam777

Reaction score
Just wondering how many K's other members have on their 550 engines and if they have encountered any problems with them.

I've been reading this post www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=33750 and just wondered if we could build up a bit of an idea about other owners experiences.

I've had a google and can't find any other reports of a problem like this regarding the V6 whether it be fitted in a navara, pathfinder, renault laguna or renault espace and infinity vehicles and there's some pretty high mileage laguna's in the UK for sale.

Cheers.

90K. Warranty claim on inter-cooler leak, egr thing, rotors replaced due to premature wear and a nissan remap for 60km hunting-surging problem.

18K miles/2 years old. UK based. Warranty repair for faulty viscous clutch/temp sensor fan-controller. Symptom was fan on full blast all the time - never released so it was very noisy and bumped up fuel consumption by 25%!....

55K on it. Glad I took out extended warranty when the Novated lease was due to end and money was in the kitty. 6 months after normal warranty ended:
- Intercooler replaced
- Tie Rod RHS replaced
- Left hand lower ball joint replaced
- Central locking on hard lid replaced
- Divers side mirror delaminated and replaced.

115K replaced rotors at 40K and 80K replaced hot side intercooler pipe at 90k replaced intercooler at about 95K just had lower ball joints replace 110K my ute gets driven pretty hard tows 1 ton offroad camper trailer in the bush I'm talking wonangatta station howqua river via king billy sort of bush then tows 2.6T van at the speed limit so the brakes get a work out especially offroad with the camper on tracks like coming down into eaglevale etc

115K replaced rotors at 40K and 80K replaced hot side intercooler pipe at 90k replaced intercooler at about 95K just had lower ball joints replace 110K my ute gets driven pretty hard tows 1 ton offroad camper trailer in the bush I'm talking wonangatta station howqua river via king billy sort of bush then tows 2.6T van at the speed limit so the brakes get a work out especially offroad with the camper on tracks like coming down into eaglevale etc
Rotors at 40K? Do you travel up and down a mountain range each day?

No just a lot of driving twisty roads faster than the average bloke cause I got the power means I have to stop harder plus a fair amount of bush driving in auto means using your brakes more especially when towing rotors lasted slightly longer in my 07 stx manual but not much

Rotors used to last almost the life of the vehicle once.
Replacing the rotors each time the pads are replaced is a new concept to me.
This vehicle seems costly to maintain from any direction.

160,000km. Replaced a leaking intercooler at around 110k (may have been due to an earlier front end accident) and also had EGR valve replaced just out of warranty, but Nissan covered it. Otherwise still running strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

160000km 2012 had sence 130000 intercooler replace cranckcase ventilation valve replace due to o ring.

Last edited:
Purchased the car new Feb 2013 Series 5 STX.
22,000 ks motor replaced. Load knocking noise from r-hand bank on cold start.
On going issues with coolant usage since engine was replaced.
Heater only works for about half an hour after start up and then goes cold, only way to get it working some what is to turn it up to 32 deg.
40,000ks engine light on at Atherton Qld and car boiling. Replaced scensor in exhaust manifold and was stuck in Atherton for 5 days while new part was sent up from Melbourne. Cost to me $700 in accomadation.
60,000ks egr cooler needed replacement, nissan had the car approx week and a half, said the engine had to come out to replace it.
91,000 rear KH axle leaking oil, nissan have replaced seals but still leaking. Brake shoes where saturated with oil, but the dealership only give them a wipe down and put them back in.
Handbrake now does not hold on a hill.
Car is going back into Nissan in 2 weeks for more evaluation. HaHaHa
This car is the bigest peice of shit i have ever bought.
This is my 3rd new navara and last. Sorry about the rant!

I have 70k on mine. Intercooler is now leaking... thanks to an emu though!! I noticed the aftermarket intercoolers are fully welded. It this was not an insurance job I would be going down that path.

Knock on wood, only problem I have had is brakes and suspension, which is a standard navara issue now. Brake pads and rotors replaced at 60k (last d40 was at less than 30k), and suspension at about 65k cause it was sagging in the arse. Last D40 also had same suspension issue.

120000km v9x
throttle solenoid replaced.(Ran like an old dog one morning)
cooling fan replaced.Symptom was a/c would cut out around town but run ok on highway.
egr light on.Trying to find someone who has actually pulled one out?
otherwise great car.

I own an Stx 550 and I'm wondering if anyone else has had issues with the engine.
Purchased New MY 2012 in July 2013. 140 000 km and serviced every 10 000km and recorded in the service book. Had a few issues repaired under warranty, replaced inter cooler at 50k and again at 130k. Ohter minor issues with exhaust emisson code reads putting it in limp mode. Just out of extended warranty before I had major engine fail.(21 Sept 2019) been off the road since.
The minimal information I have through the local nissan dealer who now has washed his hands of it as it was delivered to NIssan Australia in Melbourne for assessment of the failure, was -
"A nut sheared off in the engine and locked a piston resulting in a major engine fail, possible crankshaft is bent but NIssan Aust need to assess that."... I need to replace the engine: new is $53K installed and rebuilt is 22K plus upto $10k to put it in from 3 quotes. Simply not worth it.
I'm still waiting for some report from Nissan Aust to verify the technical determination of the issue. I've been following this up with them for almost 12 months. You could say I'm pretty disappointed with customer service and NIssan.
I was hoping maybe someone else had a similar issue with the D40 V6 3.0 ltr diesel engine so I can share their thoughts.
I sure wouldn't be recommending Nissan to anyone based on how long they have taken to assess this.
My unqualified thoughts,,, Im also thinking this is why they stopped making the STx550. D40..same engine as the 2.5 L and Nissan didn't take time to quality test when they upgraded it to the super engine for the 550 that they then called the V6 3.0 and therefore the working parts could not take the strain of the supersized torque ...
I need some advice as how I might proceed with tackling Nissan over this issue as although out of extended warranty buy about 8 months, there's is nothing to indicate it was my fault. Maintenance was 100%. The only information I have from the local dealer forwarding me an email reply he received from Nissan customer service is that the age 6 years (break down 21/09/2019) and 140 000 km of the vehicle means they will not assist with covering any cost to repair. I feel that when you spend 63k on a top of the range 4x4 you would expect a longer period of value than 6 yrs and 140k km... thoughts/ advice / help please ?

Latest posts

Back