Hema on tablets.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rustyd22

Reaction score
Hi guys I know this is been talked about but I'm not very tech savy and need an easy explanation. What requirements do I need on a tablet to run HEMA maps when I'm out bush. i.e do I need gps, 3G service or a connected GPS receiver. Any help would be great as I'm going to purchase a tablet very soon. Cheers.

ipads dont have GPS they have assisted GPS (most do, even phones) they require an internet connection to work

i have a galaxy tab 2 which has standalone GPS which is great as once the maps are downloaded, it can actually find you

you can get bluetooth GPS recievers for ipads etc which work ok

A-GPRS (Asisted no actual gps signal, uses internet only locates position by cell towers and wifi connections)

AGPS (assisted gps uses wifi etc and a small gps module that REQUIRES an internet connection... some are able to find your location but cant show you map as they need to be downloaded.. a work around for this is to buy standalone maps but sometimes google maps gets in the way)

GPS requires no phone signal to operate just download the maps and away you go

Last edited:
I use samsung galaxy 2, ozi explorer for android ($25), and then load the maps. No internet connection required. The gps in the tablet works really well, and ozi explorer is a very good program.If you go ipad it costs a bit more for the correct ipad to do the job apparently.
Ozi explorer is android only.

So to answer your question ozi explorer will run your maps on a tablet but not ipad

Last edited:
Great thanks for the input this explained it perfectly can't wait to test it out.

I use both Hema offroad maps on my iPad. If you buy the proper ones for $100 off iTunes, you dont need any internet connection. Completely pre loaded.

But if you want tracking, yes you will obviously need a connection.

Just purchased the hema up for my Samsung note 10.1 and yet to use it. Gotta download some maps yet. It looks very good from the small play I've had with it

I went and bought the samsung note 8.0. Have to wait to get home from work now to download the gema app then I'll be all set.

ipads dont have GPS they have assisted GPS (most do, even phones) they require an internet connection to work

*cough*bullshit*cough*.

I better send my ipad back. It must be faulty, as the GPS works even when I am out of phone coverage.

(I have both hema 4wd and hema explorer)

So if I have a wifi iPad with no 3G can I run maps in the middle of no where or not :-/?

not quite correct. Wifi only Ipads don't have a dedicated GPS receiver, they can only show you where you are through the cellular network thus requiring cellular coverage, whereas ipads with 3G have a dedicated gps reveiver and uses aGPS which will work without reception, i.e. uses a combination of the satellites and cellular network. The cellular network is only used to improve accuracy.

https://www.apple.com/au/ipad-2/specs/

What he said ^^^ i have a 3G / Wifi iPad. But i still don't use the 3G for offroad. I will now though as i have put a 3G / 4G aerial on my bullbar with iPhone / iPad connections so now should have shit hot reception for maps in low reception areas.

Last edited:
or you can get something like this aswell to help the above mentioned

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Qstarz-B...rg=20140107090050&rk=0&rkt=10&sd=281063681047

extremely awesome pce of gear btw

Dead right!! And a great price...this can be used with any tablet/phone or laptop that has bluetooth..they dont come much faster and acurate than this.just pair it with your device (or use a usb cable if you can) and put this on your dash..its designed with race track use in mind.

not quite correct. Wifi only Ipads don't have a dedicated GPS receiver, they can only show you where you are through the cellular network thus requiring cellular coverage, whereas ipads with 3G have a dedicated gps reveiver and uses aGPS which will work without reception, i.e. uses a combination of the satellites and cellular network. The cellular network is only used to improve accuracy.

https://www.apple.com/au/ipad-2/specs/

And to be really specific, tablet manufacturers are using a combo chip that provides both 3G and GPS reception in the one unit to conserve space and power, so ANY tablet that is sans 3G will also lack GPS unless they specifically add a separate circuit (which is something we've not found).

The tip for buying a tablet is to buy the absolute top of the range with everything, even 3G - even if you're not going to use it. You don't HAVE to put a SIM in it - just turn cellular off in the settings. GPS will then be available at all times.

Different devices receive differently, too. Samsung Galaxy devices receive data fairly well through any orientation of the screen. Apple iPads receive better when their back is facing skywards (the antenna is behind the Apple logo in the back, which is plastic and radio-translucent). Asus and other metal-backed tablets only receive well when the screen can see the sky because their backs shield the unit from radio reception. WiFi reception is similar for these devices.

But, if you've got the tablet and don't want to palm it off to the kids as a toy (or can't afford to), that BT GPS device linked to looks red-hot.

Latest posts

Back