Go Back   The Navara Forum > D40 > D40 Engine

Old 13-11-2018, 05:01 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah, I'd say it's the leaking primer causing the problem too. It is difficult to suggest to look for any other issues before you get that fixed. When you're driving normally they flow rate of the pump is probably keeping enough fuel in the filter, but at idle it doesn't flow as much so when you go to accelerate it must be drawing a bit of air in when the pump increases the flow rate.

I hope that makes sense...

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links

Old 13-11-2018, 10:39 AM

Yeah. It does make sense, which is why I’m not chasing anything else just yet. That it is harder to start after sitting overnight is what makes me most sure the primer is still leaking

Old 14-11-2018, 12:10 PM

Primer bulb delivered today. 10min install. Primed the lines and test drive proved successful. Driven a few short trips and only one short stutter. Will see how it goes after an overnight stop. Fingers crossed.

Old 15-11-2018, 12:45 AM
Advanced Member

Good luck let us know how you go...

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

Old 17-11-2018, 09:34 AM

Running so much better now, but still not completely fixed. While driving it is all good. Plenty of power, no apparent smoke etc. but.... there must still be a leak in h fuel system somewhere. Overnight it appears to be draining back to the tank and requires re-priming or it will start and then stall after a few seconds and then will wind over and over and not start for ages. It has also stalled a couple of tunes or gone into limp mode after idling for a while.

Then, to ad insult to injury sounds like a bearing is in the way out around the drive belt. Making a horrible noise this morning, sounded like coming from the alternator area.

Old 17-11-2018, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Hmmm, did you have to remove the fuel filter to change the primer bulb? I have never had to change one so not sure, but if it was removed there's a chance it could be leaking air at the seal. I'd have a look at that first, even try removing the filter and putting a bit of diesel on the seal and fitting it up again.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Old 19-11-2018, 12:11 PM
Administrator

My Mood:
Garage

Take care that the water sensor plug lines up with the round black knob on the side. Twice I had a mechanic leave mine "loose", and it gradually worked its way around a little and let air into the system.

I discovered it by priming it ... and then continued to prime it. After about 10 or so squeezes, I had diesel leaking from the bottom of the fuel filter, because I'd increased the pressure in that part of the system high enough for it to get out.

Check out the FAQs by clicking here!

"Money can't buy happiness, but it does make misery a lot easier to deal with."