Intercooler 550

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just had my Intercooler replaced due to splitting and so far its done very little off-road. Replaced under warranty but it still cost me $280 for them to remove and put back the bullbar.....

The turbo normally leaks some oil and when the intercooler splits then you get a half teaspoon of oil drops each time you park.
I notice eBay has one available that is 25% bigger and of a more solid build "to overcome the common splitting problem".

Last edited:
Mine cracked at around 90K I replaced mine with a HP diesel intercooler and hard pipe kit this combo definately increased air flow as after installing there was an increase in induction noise from the snorkle sucking and you could hear the turbo spooling coming off boost

My intercooler has cracked again, mainly sealed roads.
Does anyone know if there was a bad batch 2012 STX 550
This will be the second intercooler replacement in two years. (+20,000km)
Still under Nissan warranty, this time they want $320 to remove the bulbar first.
Thinking it might save me money if I buy an after market intercooler?

Has anyone heard of a bad batch?

This is a fairly common occurrence with the V6. AAA in Mackay and a couple of others sell better quality replacements. Nissan replaced mine for $ 600 when it was out of warranty. Normal price quoted was north of $2000.

Nissan replaced mine for $ 600 when it was out of warranty. Normal price quoted was north of $2000.

Nissan found mine split a month ago during a service. Quoted me $4100 to replace it with another stocker. A mate had his replaced last year under used warranty and 20k later has split again. Aftermarket is the way to go.

Last edited:
Its temping to replace it with an aftermarket all welded version.
Why can't Nisan get that right?
Mate just do it. I don't have a 550, mines just the STX, replaced it with a Forefront alloy cooler. Easy to fit too, much thicker, and does drop EGT's a little.

Was worth the money i paid 100%. You will realise how crappy and tinny the factory coolers are when you place it next to a Forefront alloy cooler.

Much more solid and well made. I put the factory cooler on the ground and drove over it on my 305/75's and crushed the piece of junk and threw it in the steel recycling skip at work. Never looked back.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Mine split last week,130000km. I have been considering the Forefront ind; unit as I already have their turbo pipes.
Glad to hear members are having positive experience with them ,I will order one now.

Fitted one a couple of months ago, after having two replacements by Nissan. It will take a while to replace as it is quite buried between all those other radiators/coolers.

Hello people Nissan replaced my intercooler twice under warranty, they picked up The ute removed the Arb bar, underbody protection winch spotlights ect... they said it was very common and wouldn’t happen again the first time and they said it again the second time ... it now has nearly 90k on the clock and running perfect

Afternoon guys, Has anyone had any troubles or know of the intercooler splitting on the 550?
Yes & Yes - this is an ongoing problem that due to the model no longer in production the manufacturer has walked away from. The best solution (really the only solution) is to replace it with a bigger and better after market unit which also should have an oil drain plug at the bottom. It is not unusual to find the cooler about 1/3 full of oil if you don't have an oil catch can. All pretty simple but not for someone who isn't tech savvy.

Hi guys, good to read these posts. I am looking at buying a 2013 stx 550 110kms import and although I have not seen it a guy checked it out and reckons there is oil around the intercooler.....The check engine light is on too probably the EGR valve from reading your posts. I am still keen on it but can't help thinking its going to cost money and break down.

Back