Go Back   The Navara Forum > D22 > D22 Wheels, Tyres, & Brakes

Caliper pin/ post lubricants
Old 16-04-2018, 10:13 AM

My Mood:
Default Caliper pin/ post lubricants

Hello all, i am right in the middle of trying to work out an issue with the rear brakes and in doing so have decided to give the zd sum'loven ...

I have jumped right in the deap end and thought I'd give my 2003zd a 300'000k brake service birthday 😊

I did the rear shoes, new slaves, machined drums, spring kit and had the promotional valve re manufactured but yet, when shez on the stands the brakes wont stall the motor ...
So with that me thinks master cylinder! Soo kit that - all good! Brought a new booster for her too lol heyyy it a 300000k birthday..

The problem i am facing at the moment is the front calipers.. light hone and ready to fit the seal kit and find out there is 2 grease packets with the kit... now im guessing ones for the piston and seal assembly and the other is for the "float pins/posts" .

Would anyone know what goes where?

Oh and the other question i have is - with the float pins ! I didn't notice what one came from where.. one is all metal and the other has a rubber section at the end of it.
Does anyone know if the all steel one goes at the top or the bottom ? Leading or following ?

Thanks Zed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180416_131022.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	231.4 KB
ID:	22373  
Sponsored Links

Old 08-05-2018, 05:52 PM

My Mood:

OEM Seal kit used...Just an up date - Rx2 for pins! JP for piston seals and dust boots! Used bendix blue on backs of pads/shim plates and pad slides..
yeesss there is actually 3 brake greases to be used- so there ya go "an old dog can learn new tricks eh"

I will do a post on the brake job itself, parts number list price etc and share what info i sorced and why it's not best to use never sieze -allllllllthough i have, and did last caliper service 50'000 ks ago and the pins/posts where still sliding and hadn't siezed...lucky me !

Slider pins, rubber to top..

Last edited by Been a while; 08-05-2018 at 05:57 PM.

Old 08-05-2018, 06:06 PM

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweak'e View Post
I've had mine changed. tho not by choice. front end is 2nd hand replacement after the accident. the slackers didn't bother to change the pads or anything. one side wore out just one pad.
i think the replacement pads are Bendix.

just be aware there is quite a few different pads (different calipers) for the navaras. i just happen to have one of the least common ones :(
Howdy man, that i believe is caused by slider issues. Siezed or hydro locked slider pins/posts= "wrong or incorrect packing of grease and or slider pin/post instalation".. worked that one out the hard way 😉dangit!

Old 09-05-2018, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

those 2 x grease packets are labled, eg; rubber grease on the right so the other pack would be the metal pin grease.

Old 09-05-2018, 09:44 AM

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonney View Post
those 2 x grease packets are labled, eg; rubber grease on the right so the other pack would be the metal pin grease.
Yes mate that was my deduction, just wanted confermation.. thanks man..

Old 11-05-2018, 03:17 AM

Second that
I put new DBA slotted t3 rotors and new bendix pads on my d40 a while ago. The pads were super hard and while there was good bite at first pressure they just didnt pull up very well.
So i swapped the pads for new genuine, much better pedal feel and stopping power, but the bendix pads had already gouged the new rotors quite badly over only a few thousand kays.
Wont buy bendix again ever, they trashed a $400 set of slotted rotors.