dslr settings

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albatross

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
Im new to the dslr world with a cannon 600d and am slowly learning settings.
Would people be able to show nite pics and what settings they used to show me?
Cheers!

DSLR is a whole new world.. Would recommend some of the automatic features before going full manual mode..
What sort of night pics you looking at doing? Scenary or Portrait setup?
Have you got a Tripod or any Flash's?

dont go full auto but semi. use the P, Tv and Av on the top dial. until you understand the full meaning of shutter, exposure and aperture.

P: It's a full auto mode where you have some control (Exposure Compensation, ISO, Metering Mode, etc)

Tv: Shutter Speed

Av:Aperture Priority

dont go full auto but semi. use the P, Tv and Av on the top dial. until you understand the full meaning of shutter, exposure and aperture.

P: It's a full auto mode where you have some control (Exposure Compensation, ISO, Metering Mode, etc)

Tv: Shutter Speed

Av:Aperture Priority

This is good, I've shot 4wd comps, I have a photo in an exhibition this week, so I'm not just another hack, I'm a self important one :D

Unless in the studio with lights, or doing fancy sunrise or unset stuff, I'll nearly ALWAYS shoot full metering, av mode, iso as low as it'll go

The settings and photos won't help, different light means different settings.

Read your manual, best how to you'll get ;)

Yeah another vote for Av and Tv modes here I use Av 99% of the time. Its pretty rare that I need manual or Tv.

If it looks over or under exposed I'll tweak the exposure compensation. Maybe bracket them, but that's very rare as well for me.

I use manual, that way I can adjust the DOF and exposure on the fly without messing with the mode dial.
Once you get used to that way of doing things it makes the mode dial almost obsolete. I do use it but only on rare occasions.

I keep the ISO set to 200 to avoid noise, this works for my needs.

I have not adjusted the white balance much and mostly leave it on auto, the safest way to deal with white balance issues is to set your camera to save images in both raw+jpeg.
The jpeg so you can see what your camera thinks the color temp should be and the raw so you can fix it if your camera is quite right.

I have more to learn about setting proper white balance while shooting but its been so easy to fix in post I never bother.

Last edited:
Back