Advice before turboing QD32

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nedm1989

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm going to be embarking to turbo my D22 in about two weeks time after I've come back from a weekend trip and most of the parts that I've ordered for the conversion have arrived.

I will post up throughout the setup/install and note down parts and fitting sizes.

The two things that I am up in the air about which are quite important to sort out is my oil feed line and my new exhaust details.

First off with my oil feed I am going to have a 4AN fitting on the block and on the turbo, just wondering which place in Sydney would anyone recommend me going to to get a custom braided line with 4AN fittings on each end.

I want a high quality hose as leaking pressurised oil is not fun to fix or clean up.

The second thing being the exhaust, the stock hitachi ht12 turbo from a TD27 that I have has the stock dump pipe with it.

Would it be worth getting a full exhaust made up including the dump pipe like a full 3 inch exhaust, or would a 2 1/2 inch after the stock turbo be alright?

Has anyone here swapped out the stock dump pipe on a TD27 to a shop made larger one with good results?

Where abouts in Sydney are you?
I'm in Castle Hill and looking at doing the exact same thing to mine in about 2 weeks, I'de be happy to help out/exchange info.

I've stripped all my parts from a TD27 (manifold, turbo, coolant and oil lines and fittings, airbox, intake) and was hoping to just swap most of it striaght over.

A lot of people seem to dismiss this turbo as an option for the QD32 as being too small? do you know much about this?
Personally I'de be happy with it running at about 7psi, so not concerned if they just run out of puff at high RPM's, can anyone confirm this?

I purchased a TD04 but it looks like it would be a much harder job to fit than the HT12 and will mean a lot more custom work and time off the road.

I took some pictures which may be useful to you as i struggled finding consistent info on which coolant and oil galleries to connect to.
These are the locations from the TD27T which i plan on using.
turbo1.jpg
[/url]
screenshot[/IMG]
The banjo on the top of the oil filter housing is the oil pressure feed

how to take a screen shot
The coolant return (right) and the oil return (left)

screenshot app
and the coolant supply (under the thermostat housing)

Does anyone see and problems in using these same locations on the QD32? looks like i will have to drill and tap a hole into my thermostat housing as it does not have a hole/plug but all the other locations are there

I will just be getting my coolant feed and return from the heater hoses, the same way the other guys have done it, as unfortunately I don't have the add on block for the coolant drain at the back like you have. Plus I will be pulling my oil feed from the left of the filter housing, there is an oil gallery there that should take a 1/8 bsp fitting.

As for the HT12, they were also used on the QD32ETi engines, so there should not be an issue there, I'm installing a HT12 on mine as well.

I will just be getting my coolant feed and return from the heater hoses, the same way the other guys have done it, as unfortunately I don't have the add on block for the coolant drain at the back like you have. Plus I will be pulling my oil feed from the left of the filter housing, there is an oil gallery there that should take a 1/8 bsp fitting.

As for the HT12, they were also used on the QD32ETi engines, so there should not be an issue there, I'm installing a HT12 on mine as well.

My Qd has a R50 terrano oil filter housing.
i ****ed the alloy thread adapter block for the oil feed by over tighten it.
Now it has a speed flow fitting
directly into the block is a ?M20 to -4An. (wd21 filter housing is not m20, is another thread type)
then a -4an to -3an adapter.
then a -3an to braided oil line
to a -3an m10? banjo bolt on the turbo.

Personally i would get the TD27 water fitting and do it from the rear of the block, its so much nicer and neater looking than taping into heater lines. I personally think most peoples taps into heater lines looks ugly as sin.

with regards to the dump pipe.
if you have the terrano dump, with the terrano 'front pipe' (pipe from dump to mid gearbox) other pipe you can join it directly to the nav exhaust. -easy-done.

I bought a 2.5inch ZD30 navara dump pipe as it has the same turbo flange. This ended up being to long, as the bottom of the pipe hit the diff flange. This was easy enough for me to cut and re weld about 6Cm shorter. This fits up fine.
I have a 2.5inch mid section that finishes at the rear of the gearbox.
From here i just adapted it into the stock rear section before the last muffler.
its a quiet system like this.

later on down the track ill finish it off in the 2.5inch size with a high flow muffler.
Ive heard it without a muffler and it sounds like poo. The 6cyl diesel turbos sound way better, but with the pulses of a 4cy - its just a crap sound unmuffled.

I cant see any reason why you cant pay an exhaust shop to make you one, but as its custom work, be prepared to pay for it.

With regards to the intake.
I kept the stock QD intake manafold, i know some people swap to Td27 ones but the qd one has larger inlet piping.
i used a turbo adapter that came of the turbo and went to a straight piece of 2.25inch.
from here i used a silicon joiner that went 2.25 to 2.5inch.
from here a piece of oil intercooler pipe with a tight 90 degree bend.
then a straight 2.5inch joiner into he intake.
i think it looks rather neat and stockish.

Where abouts in Sydney are you?
I'm in Castle Hill and looking at doing the exact same thing to mine in about 2 weeks, I'de be happy to help out/exchange info.

I've stripped all my parts from a TD27 (manifold, turbo, coolant and oil lines and fittings, airbox, intake) and was hoping to just swap most of it striaght over.

A lot of people seem to dismiss this turbo as an option for the QD32 as being too small? do you know much about this?
Personally I'de be happy with it running at about 7psi, so not concerned if they just run out of puff at high RPM's, can anyone confirm this?

I purchased a TD04 but it looks like it would be a much harder job to fit than the HT12 and will mean a lot more custom work and time off the road.

I opted for a Ht12 because i dident want Lag, i put a t25 on a td27 and it was to laggy for me, i wanted more low down boost.
HT12 boosts pretty quick and i have mine set to 9psi without an intercooler.
Ill properly add a W2A setup later in the year and up the boost a little bit, but for now im more than happy with the difference its made.

I have personally seen other guys running 20psi thro the Ht12s on td27s. It will spike to 20 psi and go go down to around 17psi in the higher rev range. This is with the waste-gate disconnected.

I cant see any reason why you couldn't push a reliable 14.7 (bar) of boost through a Ht12 and a QD.
In the higher gears mines hit full 9psi of boost around 1700rpm and will hold all the way to redline if you can be botherd going that high.
in the lower gears full boost hits around 2050 rpm.
I worked out the shift point don't really make the car any faster if you change at 3krpm or 4.5rpm.
so ill usually shift at 2.5k when im crusing town, or 3.5k building speed or towing.

anyway, if you have any questions, feel free to ask, more than happy to help.

My D22 build thread is here and has pictures of this stuff too.

http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=25611

Last edited:
hi does anyone have diagrams on the ht12 oil and coolant ports wise. will it affect it if put it on wrong way in on he out and out on the in lines. I hope this makes sense. I pulled it off a long time ago lost photos so yeah. any help be great. mainly after the coolant side I worked out the oil lines.

Hi mate, generally you want the centre section clocked so that one water port is slightly (15 degrees according to garrett) higher than the other, water going IN the lower one OUT the higher one to aid natural convection flow especially after turning the engine off. Doesnt matter which ones which, they are both the same.
The other thing is the oil feed will most likely need a restricter in it, And care should be taken to make sure the oil drain is as large as possible, and points downhill all the way.

Latest posts

Back