550 Low Range Transmission issue

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick DS

Reaction score
Hi All
Is there anyone on this trying to get a list of 550 owners to put up a case and get Nissan to fix the low range transmission shifting issue, its driving me nuts!!!. Just got back from the Flinders Ranges, and not that there is much low range work there, but I am sh*t scared to take this thing to the high country or on a snow trip. The manual mode is just totally useless in low range, and God help anyone who is inexperienced in off-road driving. I have spoken to the Department of Infrastructure & Regional Development & informed them of the problem, they are responsible for demanding recalls from manufacturers regarding safety issues, and they mentioned that there are no ADR rules for vehicles when they are Off-Road. I mentioned that some of the tracks we travel on are public roads and people heading to the snow in National Parks are driving these vehicles could be in danger with the 550 transmission issue. If we can put enough pressure on this department, they do have the power to place a safety recall on the vehicle and force Nissan to correct this problem. We all need to get as many 550 owners onto their website & lodge a complaint form ASAP. The form is fairly easy to find on the site & I am not sure if I can add a link from here.

Lets keep trying till we get a result

Thanks
Rick :tazzy:

I believe there is a fix?
For memory someone in qld is remapping the gearbox logic?
It is a terrible fault I agree and nissan should fix it,

Goodluck

Hi all. I have a Nissan Navara ST-X 550 Auto (2014 model) and have the same problem of the gears changing when in manual mode, which is an obvious safety issue if you 4wd. After being told there is nothing that can be done by nissan, I have reported the vehicle on the site referenced in this thread (thanks for that by the way). I will keep you informed of the progress and hopefully they have a fix for this.

Low range gear box woes

Thanks for the fix. I posted this to Nissan who said they can't do this because it would make the vehicle 'out of specifications'. I asked for a copy of those 'specifications' it breaches and it seems, well, they made that bit up. I don't feel confident doing this myself so I might take it to an auto electrician. Thanks again.

No Nissan would never assist with that mod they would probably be unaware of it anyway. It seems they have never tried to fix that issue with the V9X, now that it's redundant it's up to the bush mechanics to rectify.

I have done the mod works a treat. Have a momenty 2 pole switch to switch it into 4 lo and a double pole on off to breakout original oem harness . You can still switch it back to standard easy with a flick of a switch

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yeah I still use that wiring mod workaround every time I go 4wding. I used it today on the steepest nastiest track I know. I have dual lockers and it spins all 4 wheels on its way up the steep rocky track.

I use 1st low range and rev the engine to about 2000 - 3000 rpm. I would hate the transmission automatically changing to 2nd gear on that hill.

_

Last edited:
I have done the mod works a treat. Have a momenty 2 pole switch to switch it into 4 lo and a double pole on off to breakout original oem harness . You can still switch it back to standard easy with a flick of a switch

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hi mate,

Do you have a wiring diagram of how you did this?

Latest posts

Back