Swags. What would you recomend?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What would you look for if you were going to replace your existing?

I've had a swag for about 13 years,haven't used it for 10.It's in the shed.
If i was going to replace it i'd get one with hoops that don't snap(part of the reason it's in the shed not being used)pvc floor and good ventilation.

Chuck one of these mats inside for the cold,exxy but they work.
Exped

Mines a Bushskins Billabong. Can't remember what I paid, got it from the 4WD show as a ex display.

http://www.bushskins.outfitters.com.au/products/swags.html

I also recommend stitching some elastic across the bottom corners of your sleeping bag, then hooking it under the mattress to hold it in position.

Helps stop the straight jacket effect of a twisted sleeping bag and makes it easier to roll up.

Last edited:
Hi Fella's

I had a swag made for me many years ago. It finally died a few years ago after about 25 years.It was made by my grandfathers cousin who was a upholsterer
It was made from heavy canvas which was then waterproofed.It was lined with sheepskin wool.It had a large zipper fitted to it so it would open up to about the size of a double bed.It keep me nice warm and dry. It was great at B&S ball's In my younger days:sarcastic:
I hate to think what it would cost me now to be made.
The sheepskin wool came from my grandfathers farm.

Shane

Southern cross canvas double dome, ultimate cross between swag & tent, even the mrs loves it.
Also have a single flat swag that doesn't get used much now obviously, but on my trip through the corner of the simpson it was awesome being able to lie back & look at the stars

Aido I have a freetime king single. It has a much thicker mattress and a central bar ( very important i.e. keep the swag of your legs). I paid roughly $400. Quick note in some make sure you leave only the fly screen closed or be prepared to be gasping for air.

p.s whatever swag you get remember to soak it first to settle the material in order to maximise your water proof ability.

Alex

Aido I have a freetime king single. It has a much thicker mattress and a central bar ( very important i.e. keep the swag of your legs). I paid roughly $400. Quick note in some make sure you leave only the fly screen closed or be prepared to be gasping for air.

p.s whatever swag you get remember to soak it first to settle the material in order to maximise your water proof ability.

Alex
this is what i was talking about,if you have to soak it,its CRAP... TRUST ME..
i could sleep in a 6 inch deep puddle and not get wet...
do more research and you will find that im right..:rock:

I bought mine from Rays Outdoors. king single with the poles each end. i waited till it was on special and got it half price so only paid $150. it's waterproof and has the plastic bottom which is good at keeping dew and dampness out but dosent breath so if you sweat it can get a little moist under you. on the good side you can shake most dirt off easily and not bring it into the car.

if anyone tells you that you need to water it/soak it before you use it,they are trying to sell you shit.
that just means the cotton count is very thin and NOT very water proof.
a quality swag will be water proof from the moment you take it out from the shop.

the reason you should season them (wet / soak them - in a bath tub is best for this) is so the stitching shrinks when it dries and waterproofs the seams. The canvas should be waterproof straight away. Just the way you should always season a canvas tent before you use it in the wet.

a mate of mine did Cape Yorke with his Darche swag and the Darche was the only swag, tent or otherwise that didn't leak. he was the only one who was happy. DARCHE Outdoor Gear

the reason you should season them (wet / soak them - in a bath tub is best for this) is so the stitching shrinks when it dries and waterproofs the seams. The canvas should be waterproof straight away. Just the way you should always season a canvas tent before you use it in the wet.

sorry cruiser but I agree with Will on this one... you always soak canvas once its stitched to get the stitching to swell and fill the holes left when it was stitched.

you only really need to soak the stitching, but that's not an easy job, so just soak the whole thing

This is how i chose mine (Downunder Buffalo)

1) Buy once cry once
to me this means rip stop canvass 12oz or thicker.
Get a king single size

2) Decide on the style of swag
Hoops or no Hoops
I prefer no hoops because a swag is a swag not a tent. Unroll and tie the head end to bull bar or tree done! You may prefer hoops if you like the canvas off of you.
Mesh at head and/or feet and/or over head

3) PVC or canvas floor
I prefer canvas floor for durability but PVC might keep the water out better. If its wet I put a tarp down

Hope this might help.

If i replaced mine probably get another Burke and wills. The sons got the coolabah and i like that flap to stand on and get boots on or off. Its a act trying to get in swag and kick boots off and not drag sand/dirt in on the socks. And beer does not help

By putting it on a camp stretcher though isn't it colder from underneath? Just thinking about the thermal losses and the airflow. Would be good on a warm night but Victoria isn't that warm on most nights.

Yes, you will have increased thermal losses. Add a blanket, thermal mat or woollie on top of the stretcher before you put down your swag.

The old advice for sleeping on the ground was to have as many blankets underneath as on top.

For our Barrington Tops, we replaced base board beds with stretchers and it was cold because the air could suck heat away underneath. Spent a few cold nights until I remembered that and stuffed our original yellow foam thermal mats underneath. Then it was warm enough to sleep comfortably.

Caveat, no experience with a swags as I've always slept on the ground, but this thread has given me ideas of how we could deal with overnight stops without putting the tent up.

Yes, you will have increased thermal losses. Add a blanket, thermal mat or woollie on top of the stretcher before you put down your swag.

The old advice for sleeping on the ground was to have as many blankets underneath as on top.

For our Barrington Tops, we replaced base board beds with stretchers and it was cold because the air could suck heat away underneath. Spent a few cold nights until I remembered that and stuffed our original yellow foam thermal mats underneath. Then it was warm enough to sleep comfortably.

Caveat, no experience with a swags as I've always slept on the ground, but this thread has given me ideas of how we could deal with overnight stops without putting the tent up.

My theory is the thermal losses will be greater to the ground (It's a damn big mother of a heat sink).

My stretcher is padded so that would offer some more insulation too. The other advantage is your further away from the creepy crawlys, and it will stay cleaner and drier. Disadvantage is if your using a hooped swag it can't be peg down easily to the stretcher.

I dont bother putting the hoops in unless its hot and i want airflow over the mesh, Just unroll, Hop in, And zip up .

Back