Yabbies

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,
just wanted to know if anyone has a private dam to catch yabbies from for a feed.
willing to travel up to 2hrs from eastern Melbourne..

Thanks

Mate, I'm in Sydney but any freshwater creeks of decent size, east of the Great Dividing Range should have decent size yabbies. You get the big spiney back ones were we go. We've got them up to 2 kg. Some locals call them 'Crawchies' thou I can remember going 'yabbie fishing' with Dad back in the early 70's and thats always what we called them. I think they are totally protected in Tas, so check local laws.
The ones you normally get in dams are much smaller and are of a different species, smooth backs and lighter color.
Cheers.

Wish I could find someone here in Adelaide who likes them- they seem to breed quicker than we can pull them out of our dam, although the local bird life seems to do alright on them

Mate, I'm in Sydney but any freshwater creeks of decent size, east of the Great Dividing Range should have decent size yabbies. You get the big spiney back ones were we go. We've got them up to 2 kg. Some locals call them 'Crawchies' thou I can remember going 'yabbie fishing' with Dad back in the early 70's and thats always what we called them. I think they are totally protected in Tas, so check local laws.
The ones you normally get in dams are much smaller and are of a different species, smooth backs and lighter color.
Cheers.

Yes, the giant freshwater crayfish is protected in Tas. We also have numerous endangered endemic species of yabbie - so research before firing the pot up.

Latest posts

Back