Info on sevicing your own V9X

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterLeo1

Reaction score
This is an FYI Post for those wanting to service their own V9X vehicle, mine is out of warranty and was doing a 160,000km major service
I recently serviced my V9X vehicle and found real inconsistency in the tools required to access the drain and filler plugs for the engine, diffs and transfer box.

1. For the engine drain plug, I happened to know an ex-Nissan dealership mechanic and he lean't me his home made tool (which he made while at Nissan servicing the V9X) which was a high tensile bolt with a 19mm head which he ground down to a square head that was smaller then a 1/4" drive, very unusal size (auto-one and Auto-pro did not have any suitable tools, and even Nissan had to special order from Renault)
Note the Oil filter is positioned at the front, lower right of the engine, and is mounted/screwed in horizontally, so it has a little catch tray under it with a drain hole and small pipe to drain the oil that is collected as you undo the old oil filter, my drain hole was completely blocked with dirt so oil just sat in the small catch tray and would have spilt everywhere had I not cleaned out drain hole by disconnecting tube.

2. the drain plug and filler plug on the transfer box and the front diff were a standard 10mm allen key

3. the drain and filler plug on the rear LSD Diff was a square drive, which I simply used my 1/4"socket shifter/driver to undo.

4. Engine oil used was the comparable 7.1 litres of Penrite (Australian company) full synthetic C4 5W-30W, same as the Nissan branded/suggested oil.

5. I purchased all the parts (fluids, tools, filters, etc) from Auto-One and only the coolant and Fuel filter was from Nissan, for their was no after market compabible parts for these.

I was quoted between $1300-$1700 for the major service at Nissan and other reputable mechanics in remote Broome WA, and the reports from other fellow Nissan owners locally suggested I do it myself, so after about 7 hours labour and approx. $500 in parts and tools (like grease guns, brake pressure bleeding kits, oil pumps, allen keys, wiper blades, CO2 cleaners, and all the fluids, oils, filters, etc) I serviced it myself and that included time spent doing stuff not even suggested in the service manual (like cleaning airflow sensor and entire airbox, degreasing engine, WD40 all electrical contacts, wiper blades, etc)

Note: all the fluid quantities stated in the service schedule/manual were all accurate.

Note: just be aware when I reset the Maintenance counter at the odometer (as per instructions in owners Manual) I noticed the next service interval showed a count down in Kms from 20,000, when I asked Nissan about this they think it indicates distance to next MAJOR service, and you should still be replacing Oil at Minor service intervals every 10,000Kms or 5000kms if under extreme driving conditions.

Hope this helps people prepare before deciding to start a service on your V9X

Last edited:
You can get a tool for Renault sump plugs - best bet is online shopping. From memory they are 8mm square key - same as Clio and Megane.

Last edited:
Well done. Great saving.
You mentioned you bought a, brake fluid pressure bleeding kit.
I'm interested to know more about this plz.

Hi,
In response to jjohn and Black outlaw the Brake and Clutch bleeder kit I bought was from Auto-one and was about $130 (trade) branded "SP Tools" Model number SP70809 Link below;
http://www.sptools.com/en/?subcats=...erformed=Y&q=SP70809&dispatch=products.search
It is basically a container that holds 2.5 litres of brake fluid and you pump up some pressure attach the screw cap onto the top of the brake fluid resevior and as you brake open the bleeders it flows in and replaces the old fluid. It even works with ABS systems.

In response to Trev08, yes take off the entire front bash plate (only 4 screws on mine cos of Bullbar. yes was a little challenging to get to but not impossible.

thanks for your efforts peterleo1
its people like you who take the time to share your experience and knowledge that make this forum what it is
its now a sticky thread
thanks again
cheers

Thanks PeterLeo1.

I have completed my first oil change on my 550 today and have added a few points for anyone interested.

1. The oil filter access is tight to say the least, unless you have an arm of a 10 year old boy removing the oil filter access panel is a waste of time, you
need to remove the lower front lip section of the front bar , 6 x 10
bolts and then the whole sump guard - 8 x 10mm bolts ,3 different types
of bolt so take note of what goes where. You then can get at the oil filter
using the 86mm oil filter tool and 18 inch breaker bar. Its not tight, just a
prick to get at.

2. The sump plug is 8mm square and it came out with out a fuss.

3. I drained the oil out and found 7.5 L came out not the 7.1 L recommend
by Nissan , so much for not overfilling the engine , thanks Nissan !

4. Install sump plug with new washer , torque of 44nm

5. Install new oil filter , finger tight plus 3/4 of a turn and refill oil slowly
so not to spill everywhere as the oil fill neck is small.
I found 7.1 L to be spot on the top mark of the dipstick, don't over fill !

6. Then its just a matter of re-installing the sump guard and lower bar skirt
and you are done :redcool:

:cheers!:

This is an FYI Post for those wanting to service their own V9X vehicle, mine is out of warranty and was doing a 160,000km major service
I recently serviced my V9X vehicle and found real inconsistency in the tools required to access the drain and filler plugs for the engine, diffs and transfer box.

1. For the engine drain plug, I happened to know an ex-Nissan dealership mechanic and he lean't me his home made tool (which he made while at Nissan servicing the V9X) which was a high tensile bolt with a 19mm head which he ground down to a square head that was smaller then a 1/4" drive, very unusal size (auto-one and Auto-pro did not have any suitable tools, and even Nissan had to special order from Renault)

2. the drain plug and filler plug on the transfer box and the front diff were a standard 10mm allen key

3. the drain and filler plug on the rear LSD Diff was a square drive, which I simply used my 1/4"socket shifter/driver

Hope this helps people prepare before deciding to start a service on your V9X

I brought one of these from suprecheap.

http://m.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Toolpro-Sump-Plug-Removal-17-Piece-3-8-drive/345462

Cheers

Engine manual

Hi, in addition to the V9X manual I posted some time ago I now have one from the Renault Laguna, which has the same 3 litre diesel as the 550Ti.

Hi all, very new here. Also in need of a manual for the STX-550 V6 3.0 V9X. Can anyone please link where to get one. Mines almost to 300k too.
Cheers.

Latest posts

Back