CV joint warranty at 43,000?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dermie

Reaction score
My ST/R Navarra D22 has started making noise from the front diff/cv. It has done about 43,000kms. I bought it in January 2014. I have been driving it for maybe 500-600k with the front hubs locked in when the noise started at about 100kph. I only drove it for about 5 kms more when it started making the noise. I stopped & started a few times trying to figure out what the noise was. Then unlocked the hubs and drove home about another 50km. The noise stopped when I unlocked the front hubs.
Should I have a warranty claim??

First of all, why are you driving with the hubs locked at 100 km/h?
I am not surprised that you are getting a noise.
Forget about warranty, it is a consumable item.

i think it is ok to drive at those speeds with the front hubs locked in as your not in full 4 x 4 , they do say to do this approx once a month if your not using 4 x 4 drive.

Are you sure its diff/CV's?

I had the same issue on a previous D22 & it turned out to be a wheel bearing had crapped itself (26,000km's).

Nissan repaired mine under warranty, no issues.

My mechanic put the blame on me driving long distances on corrugations with the hubs locked.

Tons of guys drive around with hubs locked from time to time.
Ive forgot to unlock hubs plenty of times just dont put it in 4wd.

C/V's noise

Tony d22, I forgot & let them in for a while.
KevinE, It's not the wheel bearings (I'm sure) as when the hubs are unlocked the noise goes away.

i think it is ok to drive at those speeds with the front hubs locked in as your not in full 4 x 4 , they do say to do this approx once a month if your not using 4 x 4 drive.

Yes, not an issue.

I drove my current D22 800km on the hwy 4 years ago with the hubs locked in 2H, still no dramas with it yet. 110kmh most of the way too.

The guy that picked up the bearing issue on my previous D22 was saying that driving on the corrugations (Gibb River Rd, Gawler Ranges, Oodnadatta Track, Mt. Dare, Dalhousie, Charlotte Waters, Eringa, Chambers Pillar, Mereenie Loop etc) with the hubs locked caused the bearing problem.

I'd be inclined to think he was wrong, or the Ute had a dodgy bearing to start with! I've driven my current D22 along a few corrugations with the hubs locked too (Birdsville Track, Silver City Hwy, Windorah - Birdsville, Innamincka, Cameron Corner, Strzlecki Track, Nathan River Rd, Savannah Way, etc)

No issues as such with this Ute in similar conditions!

Latest posts

Back