New Member - Question about Low Range in 2WD

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
enquiring about possibility of selecting low range without 4wd ,D40 yd25 to assist caravan manoeuvrability
G'day John, just a tip a more meaningful topic would get better results. That aside it can be done in 4wd but not recommended particularly on tar and the worst part is if you have to turn. In a straight line for a short while it may be ok, but not good for the driveline. I've not heard of any 2wd low range method.
Cheers

Last edited:
Is there not some electrickery mod u can do to move the the transfer into low without engaging the hubs?

^ Agreed. The D40 doesn't have front hubs that can be disengaged - it's a solid driveline, the front diff turns over all the time and is only disconnected or connected by the transfer case. The transfer case has a single shaft that rotates through 270 degrees from "2HI" to "4LO". Step one is the engagement of the pawls locking the front drive shaft to the rear (at 90 degrees of turn of the control shaft). The next 180 degrees changes the gear ratio from 1:1 to 2.6:1 - but note that 4WD is engaged the entire time. There's no possible way to engage the lower ratio without engaging 4WD unless you remove the locking pawls inside the transfer case (which is more difficult than dropping the front prop shaft out as Happy John suggests).

Using low range helps in an auto as well. My driveway isn't very steep but reversing the 2.5T caravan in does require quite a few revs, and there's a lack of fine control when you do that - in low range I find it much easier to manipulate the caravan into position (and quieter too, which is a bonus when you're returning home at 1am!).

It does Ben!, I had about 1.5 tonne of trees and big stumps in the trailer yesterday. Rather than slip the clutch I just ambled up a very steep hill start in low range with a touch of throttle. Just another small 22 advantage lol.

has anyone looked at the electrics on how to disable the 4x4 engagement while engaging the low range.
its a common mod on early toyota's.
edit: just looked at the book. looks like 2-4 and h-l are control by one motor and one shaft. so thats stuffs that idea.
only other way would be to install a driveshaft disconnect.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back