Steering rack conversion on 93 2wd dualcab

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muvro

Reaction score
Hi all,

As most have prob read, im putting a superchargedv6 into a D21 2wd, I'm also putting in the complete body wiring harness and control modules in so i can eventually put everything from a VT Calais into the Nav. Things like power windows, centrsl locking, climate control etc. Now i have the complete calais to strip for parts, I'm looking at doing a steering rack conversion on it as well, I can put the entire steering comlumn in, so adapting it isnt a problem. I'm looking at doing it to get rid of the steering box and linkages etc. Also i want to get rid of the steering slop when driving. The ute has done over 300k, and i dont know the history of it, in saying that, a check of everything showed a bit of slop in everything, but nothing huge. So before i spend the cash on upgrading/replacing everything, it would be quite easy for me to do the conversion with no cost. I have a few q's though, since im away and wont be starting the conversion for a couple of weeks.

Firstly, has anyone actually done it?

Are the 2wd uprights interchangeable fron left to right? Im thinking of putting the steering rack behind the crossmember instead of having everything in front. I have a commy cross member that i can mod, cut out the standard cm and weld the commy one in. This will give me engine mounting, rack mounting, no need to mod the sump and oil pick up.

Is it worth doing?

I should add, i was thinking about doing the steering column swap anyway, so I could adapt the indicator and wiper stalks. This will allow direct plug in for the stalks into the commy loom, giving me cruise control, indicators, wiper controls with intermitent.

Ill start a project thread when i get some pics going.

Latest posts

Back