Essential gear for camping/4x4

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gdog40

Reaction score
Gday guys

So just enquiring what you guys take out when you go camping/4x4.

The essential kits you take such as cable ties/chainsaws/tarps etc.

I'm trying to build up my equipment and stock so I'll never go needing something I don't have so what do you guys have in your kits that you can't go without??

my list (excel spreadsheet)

Here's the list I/we use every time we go anywhere. obviously don't always take everything, depending on whether there's going to be 240v power, running water, fire season etc.
hopefully you can find some useful things on it.

Attachments

• camping list.pdf
    184.3 KB · Views: 611
the most important items you Must have when going out back off road is;
water / communication unit / first aid kit.
how far can the list go on but the basic essentials mentioned are extreamly needed .
i am sure other guys will agree and also tell you to have this that and the other thing on board including a toilet seat.

Thanks pretty detailed list. You obviously have kids??:p. I have the basic essentials needed for going away but I want to refine the easily forgotten things and I can't really think of them.

That list helped a lot though thanks

Our list varies greatly depending on which way we're doing things.

We usually carry (at all times) a fridge in the tub, a small cooler in the cabin, folding chairs. a folding shovel, bow saw, a plasterboard saw (handy for getting through small scrub). If we're off the beaten track I'll have our duffle bag with the recovery gear in it (bow shackles, tree protector, winch extension, snatch block) and have Max Trax and a full shovel up on the roof.

If we're camping without the caravan, I'll also have a 2Kg cyclone axe, block splitter, twin burner butane stove with wind deflector, hot plate, 25litres of water, torches including a freestanding Ryobi One+ lantern, ground sheet, 4-man tent, portable toilet and first aid kit. Having a Tough Toys awning makes things easier, especially with the internal light.

With the caravan I don't give a damn, everything stays in it!

The last few trips have taught me a lesson, number one

Actually Check what's in they sleeping bag bag :)
Don't forget to Take a chair!
And tea towels,

Before a pack I write a list from the ground up. Ie. ground sheet, tent, bed etc etc

I guess it depends on how & where you do your camping?

We travel in very remote areas & rarely on bitumen -other than to & from the dirt roads. I do my best to camp near toilets when they are available.

Our essential items are a cordless drill with various bits, driver heads & grinding stones. I also carry Tek screws & a roll of pre drilled galv strapping I bought at Stratco. Cable ties, a roll of wire, the usual toolbox full of spanners, wire cutters, pliers etc, a hammer, a soldering iron & solder, Rivet gun & rivets, Stanley knife, rags, riggers gloves, tire plug kit, compressor, torches, a tube of silicon, several rolls of tape, a 1500W inverter, coffee maker, kettle, toaster, spare D shackles & a few spare nuts & bolts, spare Anderson plugs, first aid kit, butane stove, butane cylinders & small BBQ plate - fry pan & sauce pan, enough drinking water to last a week, an old army entrenching tool, and I also pack an easy up gazebo in case we're stuck on the side of the road somewhere in the sun with no shade for a long period.

Probably forgot something!

I own 4 chainsaws & don't take any camping - never needed one on over 40 years of camping! :)

We bought a cheap microwave but it got the flick after it toured around for 10's of 1,000's of K's without getting used.

Basic tools (socket set (contains metric and imperial), screwdrivers, vice grips, zip ties, stanley knife, pliers, breaker bar etc etc. The kit stays in a locked tub in my tray drawers.

2 tonne trolley jack (also in the drawers). So much easier to use when you need it. Also a spare 33" tyre

VB

Water (obviously), easy to make foods.

VB

First aid kit

That's just the bare essentials. We take more things but depends where we go. The two tonne trolley jack is a bit extreme, its a big boy, but when you need it you just grab it, jack up at the rear diff housing or strong point really quick and easily. I don't like those crappy factory scissor jacks and i refuse to use them.

Yeah, I forgot the socket set! That always goes with us too.

These days we always tow a camper trailer (oldies lol!) & everything stays in the toolbox on the draw bar when not in use.

We've just upgraded from an off road soft floor to a off road hard floor camper; the one thing I reckon that is not essential is a kitchen! We had a kitchen on the swing out tailgate on the soft floor. We dragged that thing all over the outback & all it ever did was take up space in the trailer! I pulled it out & sold it, we never missed it!

The new camper has a you beaut all sing, all dance, slide out kitchen - it's nice & shiny, but I doubt it'll ever get used!

Hahahaha! Yeah our camper trailer doesnt have the kitchen either. We didnt bother. We use a double burger gas stove or the fire and we have a fold out bench with sink for food prep.

Opted to use the slide out kitchen space for storage. Heaps better and alot cheaper too.

think a lot depends on your circumstances..camping, campervan, caravan etc and where your heading.. not much point in taking a heap of tools and spares if your going to a well populated place but travelling remote areas safety comes first. maybe oif you suggested what kind of trip your planning, you would get some better specifics..

Hahahaha! Yeah our camper trailer doesnt have the kitchen either. We didnt bother. We use a double burger gas stove or the fire and we have a fold out bench with sink for food prep.

Opted to use the slide out kitchen space for storage. Heaps better and alot cheaper too.

We have a plastic bowl for washing up - the food prep gets done on the tailgate of the Ute.

Sorta shows you're not British. They need the kitchen, so they can warm up the beer.

Drove from Darwin to Adelaide once with a 30 pack in the car - no esky or fridge. Every day about 40 mins before we pulled into wherever, swapped the driving with the other half & hopped into a few warm ones. She wasn't overly impressed, but I reckon warm beer is better than no beer lol!

Latest posts

Back