New UHF install

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cessa

Reaction score
Gday all
Im looking at mounting an antenna and installing a uhf unit in an STX NP300. Due to the limited mounting options, im after some ideas and recommendations.
Looking at buying a new icom ic450 unit that has a full function mic. Can mount the unit basically anywhere but the mic is the problem.

Also is the antenna. Too many options here. Any recommendations? I havent bought either yet.
Cheers?

I've only got an old navara but I mounted mine on the drivers side near ya left leg. Not ideal but it works.
as for aerial, mine is mounted on the front bar, its a 6db and I get good communication when in convoy.
as you can see, plenty of cig ash and a bit of red dust and the hand piece hangs over the gear stick. it's easy to pick up.

Attachments

• 20150818_171419.jpg
    20150818_171419.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 517
Gday all
Im looking at mounting an antenna and installing a uhf unit in an STX NP300. Due to the limited mounting options, im after some ideas and recommendations.
Looking at buying a new icom ic450 unit that has a full function mic. Can mount the unit basically anywhere but the mic is the problem.

Also is the antenna. Too many options here. Any recommendations? I havent bought either yet.
Cheers?
If you have no bulbar you can mount the antenna on a universal bonnet mount.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GME-BONN...41?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item5d438ac015

I've only got an old navara but I mounted mine on the drivers side near ya left leg. Not ideal but it works.
as for aerial, mine is mounted on the front bar, its a 6db and I get good communication when in convoy.
as you can see, plenty of cig ash and a bit of red dust and the hand piece hangs over the gear stick. it's easy to pick up.

Thanks for that, I agree that it's not the best place but definitely an option to use. Problem with the D23 is there is a small storage thing right at that place which is fairly useless and takes up that room.

Im not sure if i'm getting a bull bar for mine as yet so looking at mounting options without a front bar.

If you have no bulbar you can mount the antenna on a universal bonnet mount.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GME-BONN...41?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item5d438ac015

I have looked at that option but the tolerance between the bonnet and seals are very tight and not sure if over time, the cable will break. I'm also looking at utilising a better cable to reduce loss, problem with better cables are they are generally thicker.

An option I was thinking is to mount a specially made bracket that sticks out of the bumpa bar and put a longer antenna on that but still keeping the height low enough so you can drive into garages etc.

I have looked at that option but the tolerance between the bonnet and seals are very tight and not sure if over time, the cable will break. I'm also looking at utilising a better cable to reduce loss, problem with better cables are they are generally thicker.

An option I was thinking is to mount a specially made bracket that sticks out of the bumpa bar and put a longer antenna on that but still keeping the height low enough so you can drive into garages etc.

Can you mount on the sports bars?

There is a ground independent combo available with 2 antenna's 6db and 3db. The 3db is only about 6 inches long if the sports bar was a consideration. You could use the 3 around town and fit the 6 on the open road.

There is a ground independent combo available with 2 antenna's 6db and 3db. The 3db is only about 6 inches long if the sports bar was a consideration. You could use the 3 around town and fit the 6 on the open road.
That's correct, but the spring base and the part of the antenna that the whip attaches to would probably still make it too high to fit into a garage.

I have had a measure of 2 locations that would suit, attach it to the sports bar or a front bumpa mount. At the base of the sports bar would give me around 800mm for antenna length. The bumpa option will give me 1400mm length. This will raise the antenna to the height of the existing FM radio antenna.
The radio antenna is another problem, why would you put a radio antenna on the roof between roof rack mounts???

Gday all

Cheers?

ok then, if your having trouble trying to find space to fit one CB Radio Unit, then what chances do you think I'v got getting all theses (behind the rear seat in my D22) into any new Dual Cab Utes currently on the market.

Attachments

• 20150821_173010.jpg
    20150821_173010.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 348
  • 20150821_173030.jpg
    20150821_173030.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 337
  • 20150821_173046.jpg
    20150821_173046.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 340
Have you considered a UHF Glass Mount Antenna?

You will probably pay around $100 - $150 for a reasonable glass mount antenna setup, can mount on the front windscreen or if you are not fitting a canopy, on the rear windscreen. You loss about 5% of signal strength using glass mount antenna's

ok then, if your having trouble trying to find space to fit one CB Radio Unit, then what chances do you think I'v got getting all theses (behind the rear seat in my D22) into any new Dual Cab Utes currently on the market.

That is one hell of a set up. To answer your question, i would suggest you dont sell or use the tray.:rofl2:

You will probably pay around $100 - $150 for a reasonable glass mount antenna setup, can mount on the front windscreen or if you are not fitting a canopy, on the rear windscreen. You loss about 5% of signal strength using glass mount antenna's

That was going to be my question. Signal loss. I am a little lazy, once it is set up, i don't want to keep changing the antenna etc, set and forget.
Im tending to go down the front bumpa position and makeup aspecial purpose mount that will mount onto the sub frame behind the grill.

Hi,
Did this with my D22.
Mic is mounted on a switch blank. Easy to return to original if desired.
View attachment 20718

That's a good idea.
I have ended up mounting the mic bracket near the transmission console. There is a weird storage tray near your lower leg at the side of the transmission console. I have made a bracket and mounted it in the tray and overhanging the console so it's out of the way and i can still see it with easy access. It will also be easy to remove with little to no sign of anything being there.

I really like this idea. Didnt even think of it.

Im still getting my head around antennas. Have an easy question that i cant find a straight answer to. Most CB's transmit and receive on the 477mhz range. Are all antennas capable of receiving (not transmitting) on 400 to 520 mhz range.
Thanks

Im still getting my head around antennas. Have an easy question that i cant find a straight answer to. Most CB's transmit and receive on the 477mhz range. Are all antennas capable of receiving (not transmitting) on 400 to 520 mhz range.
Thanks
Short answer is yes, you can even transmit if it's brief through an incorrect antenna eg 27mhz. Obviously it's not ideal and the performance would be useless. I've seen vice grips clamped onto the base being used as a temporary measure.

Here is mine mounted. I used this set up. Works great and also installed a speaker for it.

Here is the unit. Best option, hidden and neat, as for mounting the mic, no really good place for it.

Attachments

• my ute.jpg
    my ute.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 314
  • GME.jpg
    GME.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 257

Latest posts

Back