Audio upgrade

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guido

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Well i've done the install of the new audio and everything went smooth as silk!

I went with a JVC MP3/USB/AUX head unit, 6" 3-way Pioneer for front doors and 6x9" 3-way Pioneer in boxes behind the rear seat.

The 6x9 boxes are a bit big for behind the rear seat but with a bit of force it clips back ok. I'll probably look for alternative boxes if the seat wants to unclip but after 3 days it hasn't yet. Surprisingly they don't protrude into the back seat occupants either. The reason I went with the boxes are so I can take them out of the vehicle when camping etc and have sound outside. I'm yet to rig it up for that purpose yet but i have the speaker cable and just need to rig up an easy clip in/out solution. They sound a bit dead being behind the seat, but I can live with that (gives good bass!). I also needed to re-position the jack. I stood it up into the corner and it's held tight by a few cable ties. I'm still looking for a better location.

The 6" fronts were a breeze as they were the same size as the pod already in the vehicle. Out with the old, in with the new.

The head unit was not difficult to do, but time consuming. I bought the harness from Autobarn and just needed to solder the matching cables. Ran some new cable down one side for the rears and done!

So I fancy myself as a bit of an audio install pro now :22: Easily under $400 and a great difference in quality. I suggest having a go if you are keen.

Cheers,
Guido

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 441
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 368
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 444
  • photo4.jpg
    photo4.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 324
  • photo5.jpg
    photo5.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 291
Well done Guido, not sure I'd do the rear speakers the way you have done them for the sound quality reasons you mentioned, but the idea of being able to put them outside when the need arises is great.

Yeah Shonky, the sound quality sitting in the rear is not great from those 2 being so muffled, but I have faded the rears out a bit. They help to give that bit of extra bass that 6" speakers can't give.

hey, nice mods there.

how did you take off/remove the front panel where the radio and UHF is? mine wont seem to budge and I dont want to go ripping into it.

cheers bud!

PS. or did you remove a whole bunch of the dash to get it wired up?

Maddogrc,

Pretty much as that demo Jon posted shows. Start pulling away at the top of that moulding. I needed to gently pry it with a flat head to get my fingers in there and had to be careful not to leave gashes in you trim by prying too hard. Make sure all screws are out and the 2 ash trays are out.

Guido

Anyone know where to get some slim speakers for the back door, I cant use the original fronts as there in the bin. The right was dead and the left was crackling.

Dave.

Sorry Dave, I can't help you there. I don't even know what is behind the rear doors to know what you're up against.

I take it the pod does not exist like the fronts and you have to fix straight to the metal door frame? If that is the case, is there enough room to fabricate a timber packer to provide more depth without having contact with the door trim speaker grill?

Guido

Whatever you do Dave you will need to make a mount for the speaker you intend to put in the rear, I've had the door card off the rear doors to put sound deadening in and the hole in the sheet metal is pretty large, it's as big or bigger than the plastic grille that covers the hole in the trim.

Dave if i can find mine you can have them i'll go and have a look for them back in a bit

Hey man sorry but there gone try strathfields i got my sony 6"s cheap see wot they've got on offer good luck mate

Shonky.

I might try the poms for info. I will look around for speakers.

Cheers for looking Mike/Kerry and the thought.

Either way I will keep use informed.

Dave.

cheers for posting up that link on how to remove the front dash panel!

i just took it off and re-installed my UHF radio, but OWCH, so many sharp edges and a large mess of wires, lol.

the way i had it previously wired meant that i had just enough wire length left over for me to wire the UHF through the dash, but it was a bloody painful and tricky job, but paid off now, looks great and professionally done.

Cheers for the link. Anyone still got the factory front speakers sitting around.

If someone does can you measure how deep they are.

Dave.

I ended up buying a set of Kenwood KFC-S1682 flush mount speakers.

I heard them in the shop, they sound awesome.

If I feel like it tonight I will install them, I hope they dont make the front sound terrible.

I will get pics etc.

Dave.

The Kenwoods aren't gonna fit so I am gonna get some JVC speakers as they are shallower.

The Kenwoods can go in the front doors as they are better then my Pioneers at the moment.

I ended up emailing a UK wrecker about the factory rear speaker mounts. Waiting to hear back.

I may even just use aliminium sheet cut to how I need to mount the JVC speakers.

Dave.

Last edited by a moderator:
rear speakers

Hi all

I've fitted 4" rear speakers in the rear doors. Spent the money and bought the adaptor plates from Nissan @ $30, not cheap but after seeing them should have just cut up some tin plate!

The 4" speakers fit and don't foul the window winders, however they face directly on the rear seat squab but do add rear fill to the sound.

The wiring was in the door but only ran to the C pillar, so I ran complete new wires. I had already replaced head unit and front speakers with some JBLs.

Best of luck.

sman

Latest posts

Back