YD25 - Noise Woes

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tas_richo

Reaction score
Hi All,

My old man has just purchased a 2008 D22 with 180,000k on the clock...

Long and short of it, Dealer offered the bloke $6k for vehicle as had suspected timing chain rattle and Dad has picked it up for $7k knowing full well he may be up for a new chain as worst case scenario...Our local mechanic is a jet and did his trade with nissan so lives and breaths them, to give you an idea of his efficiently he did a gearbox and clutch replacement on my zd30 d22 in a smidge under 4 hours, now that moving! Hence why we arnt too scared in regard to worst case scenario however the more I read the more I'm not sure it is the chain...

Long and short of it it rattles when you start it up, its there faintly after 10-15 secs and when warm it is not there at all...

so what I'm asking....

1. Could this be the drive belts? is the easiest way to diagnose this by spraying some water or WD on them and see if it goes quiet?

2. If genuine filters not being used, could it be related to the anti-drain back valve on them? What are the symptoms using being seen when this is occurring?

3. Could it be timing chain tensioner? (perhaps related to Q2?) if so which one would it most likely be? (top or bottom chain) I've read dropping oil down to a 5w30 full synthetic may help?

4. It does also go into limp mode when you give it a gutful, not sure if this is timing related but could be ??? (What is the method for testing if belt stretch is causing this, I have a feeling it was as simple as pulling a plug off a sensor?)

All and any help is appreciated.

Cheers,
Evan

spray belts and see if it`s quiet the next day first, coz that`s easy as to do. not sure about 2 or 3, but 4 does not sound promising, maybe try cleaning the MAP sensor with contact cleaner. other than that, i`m no help sorry. good luck (((-;

If it was the timing chain it would rattle all the time, the noise wouldn't go away. Is there any white smoke when you start it up? Is the rattle more like a ping or a knock, could be injectors?
Have you taken it down to your mechanic, sounds like he is pretty good, should be able to diagnose it for you.

Latest posts

Back