2010 d22 exhaust and mod questions

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvstnholl

Reaction score
Hey, i have a few questions regarding what i can do for my d22,
is it possible to add a muffler delete to the stock exhaust, (don't have much of a budget for the car, most goes to the house haha)

and what are some cheap mods i can do that will give better overall performance

You can remove the stock muffler if you want. I did on mine before I replaced it with a 3" full system. It gave a bit more sound, but that was it. I removed the stock system from the flange joint at the transfer case and made my own from there back with 2.5" 316 stainless tube that I had left over from an intercooler setup I did for a previous vehicle.

As for mods to increase performance, blocking the egr and fitting a manual boost controller to reduce any wastegate creep you may get is about it for the cheap stuff...

yes best results would be a complete larger exhaust system plus a chip. a mate just did these 2 mods to his Patrol and it made a big power difference he said.

Thanks, this may sound dumb but does anyone have a guide on removing the muffler and a link on what to replace it with? Once I follow guide I'm all good
And a link to a cheap but good manual boost controller

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will be pretty self explanatory once you have a look. I imagine it will be a matter of cutting the muffler out of the exhaust and welding a piece of pipe in its place. As stated above it will be louder, but egr block-off and boost valve will do more for your performance... but not thaat much.

Thanks I might just wait and get a full exhaust

Do u have a recommendation for the chip? Any links, eBay?

As far as chips go, there's not really any "cheap" option. Granted there are cheap ones out there, the long term effects they have on the fuel rail and injectors are still being debated...

I'm not sure what's changed in recent times, but unichip I believe used to be the only one that could change injection pulse timing. All the other ones only used to trick the ecu into thinking the rail pressure was lower than it was and it would increase the rail pressure.

You can also get your ecu "edited." Basically, they change the fuel and timing maps on the factory computer instead of fitting a chip. Some places can do this in the vehicle but others you can remove your ecu and mail it to them and they will do it on a bench. The ones that can do it in the vehicle can also usually dyno tune it, but it really depends how much you want to spend...

Does the YD25 version have that godawful whistling noise under full throttle that the ZD30 ones did? If so it was from the little resonator towards the front of the exhaust. I did a cat back 2.5" system with one small muffler on my old D22 ZD30, almost as quiet as before with a detectable (But small) performance improvement. With the resonator still in the system it sounded like a demented piccolo.

the only issue with removing the muffler is extra noise levels, if your exhaust is under the required noise decibal reading you will be fine without the muffler. there are heaps of 4 x 4 vehicles getting around with no mufflers especially on the deisel 4 x 4,s as noise is not as severe as petrol engines with no mufflers. it is not legal to remove the Cat Convertor.

Is there any legal problems with muffler deletes? I've found this on eBay
And had a look under my car can easily be done
Just wondering if I would have problems with legality of it
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/282578569659

Yeah that would work ok. Not too badly priced, but from memory these days you can get a full 3" turbo back with no cat or mufflers (maybe just the one centre muffler) for around $600ish... So depends what you want I guess... Full turbo back is a pain to fit on the thai built models because of turbo to firewall clearance...

Yeah that would work ok. Not too badly priced, but from memory these days you can get a full 3" turbo back with no cat or mufflers (maybe just the one centre muffler) for around $600ish... So depends what you want I guess... Full turbo back is a pain to fit on the thai built models because of turbo to firewall clearance...

Yeah I'm sort of on a budget so trying to do budget friendly mods

So I might go ahead with it seems like a good price

I believe "technically" you are supposed to have at least 1 muffler, however you'd be hard pressed to tell at idle on a turbo diesel if it has a muffler or not. I have no cat or muffler on mine and egr block and at idle, although a lot deeper sound and slight turbo whistle, once warmed up it is very hard to tell. Mind you, it is a totally different story when you put your foot into it hahaha.

I have been through bretho's too and never had a problem. I do only have a 2" suspension lift and 265/75 tyres on the stock alloy wheels, so it doesn't stand out majorly... The light bar on the roof, that's another story hahaha. Haven't had anything said about that either though...

Latest posts

Back