oil catch can question

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wes570

Reaction score
I have installed a catch can and was wounding if I should put anythin inside to absorb the oil that dose in? Any idears would be helpful

stainless steel pot scrubbers, not the finer steel wool.

i have a cheap item i got from a turbo company and all i used was HomeBrand wire scrubbers from woolies. works a dream.

I know everyone says steel wool. But how much is everyone putting in? Stuff it full or just a piece?
do not use steel wool.
use pot scrubbers, they are much thicker material. the wool is to fine and can break off.
make the inlet go down the can past half way.
then stuff the can full of scrubbers.

one of the problems is the oil mist tends to find the easy way around it and thats often up around the sides of the can. so you really need to push the scrubbers hard in and hold them in under pressure.

Cheers Tweak'e. I do have pot scrubbers to use. As for the inlet, the can I have has the inlet & outlet at the same height. Any ideas how to extend the inlet.

Cheers Tweak'e. I do have pot scrubbers to use. As for the inlet, the can I have has the inlet & outlet at the same height. Any ideas how to extend the inlet.

depends on the can. my last couple i made a separate inlet.
if you can find a bulkhead hose fitting it might help.

If the lid can be removed, modify the inlet pipe with some extra piping to run to the bottom of the catch can, then stuff the can full of aforementioned pot scrubber material.

Working on that now stoney85. I just need to find someone with a drill press to drill out the inlet. I e tried and failed already with a normal drill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went with the tried and tested Provent 200 setup, bought the 25mm-16mm reducers that screw into the seperator and some oil specific 16mm hose and ran it temporarily to beside the fuel filter, held in with a zip tie until I redesign the engine bay layout.

Cost me all up about $220, but its a much better proven setup than anything else on the market.

I did consider just a generic "drift" catch can, but the added hassle of baffling it and modifying it etc, didn't fit my time frame, let alone look 'cheap' and out of place in comparison.

Plus I just completely rebuilt my ZD30, and wanted the best protection for it, 2000kms down now and the separator has proven its doing something with a tiny amount of oil residue sitting inside it, plus with the screw off lid, you can quickly check its condition.

I went with the tried and tested Provent 200 setup, bought the 25mm-16mm reducers that screw into the seperator and some oil specific 16mm hose and ran it temporarily to beside the fuel filter, held in with a zip tie until I redesign the engine bay layout.

Cost me all up about $220, but its a much better proven setup than anything else on the market.

I did consider just a generic "drift" catch can, but the added hassle of baffling it and modifying it etc, didn't fit my time frame, let alone look 'cheap' and out of place in comparison.

Plus I just completely rebuilt my ZD30, and wanted the best protection for it, 2000kms down now and the separator has proven its doing something with a tiny amount of oil residue sitting inside it, plus with the screw off lid, you can quickly check its condition.
Did u do the rebuild yourself?
How was it?

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk

I went with the generic 'Drift'catch can Stoney85. So baffling and pipe extension is now my issue. I've used pot scrubbers to baffle but have to somehow work out a way to drill out the inlet so I can fit some pipe in there. Personally I think the unit looks quite neat and fit really well in the engine bay.

Did u do the rebuild yourself?
How was it?

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk

Yeah did the rebuild myself, still cost me $2500 with all the new parts and machine work, the cylinder head and turbo where just replaced before the bottom end let go, the previous owner had enough after that.

It's running great, just needs a tune to get the most out of it, plus every other mod that can be done will be done when I get the time.

you can use the Stainless Steel Kitchen Pot Scrubbers, they look like a ball of steel wool but there made out of stainless steel not normal steel like the average pot/ pan scrubber.

Latest posts

Back