d40 ecu re-set learning mode

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
iPhones won't work with Bluetooth ODB2 connectors. The way Apple controls the Bluetooth communications stack blocks the comms.

Get one that is WiFi - and it'll work..

Also, TORQUE is not available on the iOS platform. I use ODB Fusion. It's quick, works great on any Apple product and gives you most of what you are wanting to see.

I am keen to get one of these Black Outlaw, I looked on ebay, but they say they are for Fords!! Where did you get yours, and what does it look like?

Welcome to the forum, Peter!

When you take the battery lead off, you should press the brakes to consume the remaining power in the system - the ECU will retain a small charge for up to half an hour otherwise. Pressing the brakes forces that charge to dissipate through the brake lights.

If that doesn't work then the ECU is writing the information to non-volatile memory and we've all got it wrong. I suppose it's possible that Nissan also made some changes so that we HAVE to use the reset procedure - which is here:

Original post: Exhaust mod with DPF page 2 post 27081

Modifications to refine procedure are in bold.

D40 ECU RESET PROCEDURE
To carry out the reset do the following:

Warm up the vehicle to normal operating temperature then turn the vehicle off.

Turn ignition on so all dash lights come on.

Wait 3 seconds.

PUMP accelerator pedal 5 times within 5 seconds....

With foot now OFF accelerator wait 7 seconds...

After 7 seconds press and hold down accelerator pedal for 10 seconds...

After 10 seconds the Engine Management Light will start to flash, at this point remove foot from accelerator.

The Nav is now in diagnostics mode, so let the EML flash for a bit. Then press and hold the accelerator pedal down for more than 10 seconds - this will then reset ECU and fuel pump etc and put them into learning mode.

Holding the accelerator for that long ends the procedure.

From D40 Fuel Economy page 26 post 36741:
DO NOT TURN THE IGNITION OFF. Take the vehicle for a nice gentle drive, go through all the gears and then shut the vehicle down to finish the learning process.

NOTE: When the EML light is flashing, this is listing possible fault codes... so if you know how to read the fault codes or know the sequences then you can figure out any possible faults with your Nav with out getting the dealer to do it!! :D

From D40 Fuel Economy page 26 post 36627:
Seeing 1 set of 10 slow flashes followed by 3 sets of 10 flashes fast means there are no faults found or stored.
So if I am reading correct, after the battery is replaced the ECU should be reset?

I am asking because when I bought my 2013 D40 (around 3 months ago) the previous owner replaced the old battery for a new one.

So if I am reading correct, after the battery is replaced the ECU should be reset?

I am asking because when I bought my 2013 D40 (around 3 months ago) the previous owner replaced the old battery for a new one.

Replacing the battery often has the result of resetting the ECU anyway. Resetting the ECU is generally only done when there's a problem like the fuel map is out or there's an error code that may have been caused by an erratic connection etc.

If you DO reset the ECU to "fix" the fuel map, you should take the car for a gentle 10-minute low-demand drive and then shut the car down - this teaches the ECU a new lower mapping.

Warning: the fuel map can be affected by the appearance of a Toyota Hilux beside you at the lights.

Replacing the battery often has the result of resetting the ECU anyway. Resetting the ECU is generally only done when there's a problem like the fuel map is out or there's an error code that may have been caused by an erratic connection etc.

If you DO reset the ECU to "fix" the fuel map, you should take the car for a gentle 10-minute low-demand drive and then shut the car down - this teaches the ECU a new lower mapping.

Warning: the fuel map can be affected by the appearance of a Toyota Hilux beside you at the lights.
Thank you @Old.Tony for your reply.

Latest posts

Back